imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting older. What goes around comes around. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2466)

SPEMack618 08-28-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 42912)
May be a long shot but did you know a soldier named Boodhoo.

Doesn't ring a bell off hand. Was he in the 3rd ID or the 48th BCT?

SPEMack618 08-28-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 42907)
Hey man, I'm 30 and I look at the 17 year old kids joining my reserve unit now and I'm starting to feel like an old vet myself! Most of my platoon wasn't even in the army while we were in Afghanistan, in fact there's only 4 of us left that actually went. Even of those I'm the only one that has stubbornly refused a leaf, so most of the time I'm the only person with a tour in the room.

I remember watching 9/11 on television. Dad (AFSOC) deployed in about a week. I remember a conscious decision that I wanted to be a Ranger instead of getting the Air Force to pay for me to become a missile engineer.

Somes of my Joes now cannot remember 9/11 and yet have deployed in support of GWOT.

Jcordell 08-30-2016 04:04 AM

Quote:

I remember watching 9/11 on television. Dad (AFSOC) deployed in about a week. I remember a conscious decision that I wanted to be a Ranger instead of getting the Air Force to pay for me to become a missile engineer.

Somes of my Joes now cannot remember 9/11 and yet have deployed in support of GWOT.
Our son shipped out for the U.S. Coast Guard today. Off to Cape May, New Jersey - United States Coast Guard Training Center - where he will do his basic training. Four year enlistment. He was three years old on 9/11.

Nyles 08-30-2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 42917)
Our son shipped out for the U.S. Coast Guard today. Off to Cape May, New Jersey - United States Coast Guard Training Center - where he will do his basic training. Four year enlistment. He was three years old on 9/11.

Ok, now THAT makes me feel old.

SPEMack618 08-31-2016 01:19 AM

There is a meme floating around Facebook (where I added Cordell *cough* cough*) that talks about how we were kids when the Towers fell but not any more.

I've referred to the GWOT as "The Forever War" to riff on one of my favorite books.

When the draw down occurred in Iraq I couldn't believe that the war I had always known was supposedly won and done. I went out and got drunk. Got in a big fight with my then girl friend and yeah, it was bad.

FWIW, I was 13 when 9/11 occurred. I distinctly remember hoping against all hope that by the time I was a Ranger there would still be terrorists left to fight.

StanTheMan 08-31-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 42921)
FWIW, I was 13 when 9/11 occurred.

Same for me as well. Saw it on TV at the brand new middle school I went to that year. I agree about your quote from the meme, too - The whole world got a bit darker overall and stayed that way ever since.. But I do remember the 90s very well, good times. But apparently that makes even me old as dirt now to some. :rolleyes:

I'm with ya JC - I keep thinking that tank is state of the art and then I remember what year it is and part of me thinks "Is the Army even still using tanks anymore?" Or something like that. Where does the time go? Meh.

Congrats and best to your little man shipping out, BTW. I remember when you first told us that he was going into the CG, wasn't that a few months ago now though? Bah, again, where does that time ago? I think somebody stole it. I should file a report with ya, JC.

SPEMack618 08-31-2016 10:58 PM

My sister (now a LTC/Dr in the Army) couldn't stop crying that day. Dad ran the flag down to half staff and started packing. Mom started prepping FRG stuff.

And I wanted so bad to parachute into Afghanistan with an M-16A2/M-203. (hey, it was 2001)

AdAstra2009 09-12-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 42915)
Doesn't ring a bell off hand. Was he in the 3rd ID or the 48th BCT?

Yes actually, he was in 3rd ID during the invasion and would always brag about taking saddam airport. His second deployment to iraq he transferred to the Georgia National Guard 48th BCT.

Jcordell 09-30-2016 01:13 PM

Interesting. When the Towers came down I had been out of the Army for approximately 18 months. I was thirty-three at the time.