imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Common Mistakes (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1983)

zackmann08 05-06-2012 08:45 PM

Common Mistakes

Is there any interest in making a "common mistakes" page? Kind of like an FAQ page only in reverse? I keep coming across pages where people have failed to close a table... or haven't subdivided the guns into Handguns, Rifles, etc. Is this something that the admins think would be useful or just another waste of space?

-Z

bunni 05-07-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 35019)
Is there any interest in making a "common mistakes" page? Kind of like an FAQ page only in reverse? I keep coming across pages where people have failed to close a table... or haven't subdivided the guns into Handguns, Rifles, etc. Is this something that the admins think would be useful or just another waste of space?

-Z

It would be useful if we then pointed people to it when they made a common mistake. It would save the person pointing it out having to explain it (which some new users take poorly as being singled out) and may stop the new user from making more common mistakes.

zackmann08 05-07-2012 07:48 PM

Alrighty! Well I will start the page and I hope others will chime in and add to it.

-Z

funkychinaman 05-07-2012 08:17 PM

It'll be nice to standardize the type of tables we're to use. Like does the show title and episode go in the same box, or does episode go with notes, or does it go movie, actor, character, or actor, character, movie.

zackmann08 05-07-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 35023)
It'll be nice to standardize the type of tables we're to use. Like does the show title and episode go in the same box, or does episode go with notes, or does it go movie, actor, character, or actor, character, movie.

Show title goes with the Notes and it goes Title, Actor, Character.

funkychinaman 05-07-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 35025)
Show title goes with the Notes and it goes Title, Actor, Character.

That's what I've been going with. It'd good we're making that standard.

zackmann08 05-08-2012 05:05 PM

So I had a thought while working on this. Perhaps it would be better to make a couple of template pages. Not templates like the infoboxes but like the Manufacturer Template. Basically a page where users can just copy and paste the code when they create a new page.

On the page we could also include a list of common mistakes to avoid when creating a page. If this idea is liked by admins, I propose making a template for each of the following:
  • Gun
  • Video Game
  • Film
  • Television
  • Anime
  • Actors

This way instead of telling a new user "look at the M1911 page" or look at how the "Call of Duty" page is organized, they could be steered to the template. Again, I don't want to make useless, cluttering pages. I honestly think these could help.

-Z

funkychinaman 05-09-2012 01:43 PM

When we do actor pages, what size subheadings do we use for film and television? Is it == or ===? I've seen both.

funkychinaman 05-29-2012 11:18 PM

Can someone finally make a ruling on hash marks? Not even the admins can agree.

zackmann08 05-30-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 35128)
Can someone finally make a ruling on hash marks? Not even the admins can agree.

Agreed. Can we PLEASE make a consensus...