imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

MT2008 09-08-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39573)
I'm British and I didn't know he (Philip Winchester) was American before I read it, so I think so. The only thing I had seen him in before was Camelot, where he also played a Brit.

Watch any of his interview videos that are posted on Strike Back's Facebook page. You can hear him speaking in his native American accent. Watch this one, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSmNbM6IhM

Another bit of trivia: His first acting role (when he was 17) was as a militiaman in the Steven Seagal movie "The Patriot".

Excalibur 09-09-2013 03:18 AM

So I've rewatched the new Robocop trailer. I think it has potential. It's a simple story which can be a good thing. If they focus on that tried and true story told countless time, it can be a good movie. I like how they got Gary Oldman in it but Sam Jackson is always going to play Sam Jackson.

funkychinaman 09-10-2013 04:59 AM

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Blood Dragon are both half off on XBLA this week.

funkychinaman 09-10-2013 07:21 PM

http://kotaku.com/if-you-thought-you...wer-1283993902

From just this trailer, Ghosts seems like it could just as easily just be a direct sequel to Black Ops 2 rather than the start of what I presume will be a new trilogy.

Excalibur 09-10-2013 08:09 PM

Well they alternate developers every year and never had connected the alternating series. This year is Infinity Ward so instead of continuing the MW series, they op to create a new one....by first stealing a plot device from G.I. Joe Retaliation.

funkychinaman 09-10-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39609)
Well they alternate developers every year and never had connected the alternating series. This year is Infinity Ward so instead of continuing the MW series, they op to create a new one....by first stealing a plot device from G.I. Joe Retaliation.

Oh I know that, I just thought it was odd how it seemed to correlate with the ending of BO2.

And if they ever wanted to do one huge saga, this would be the best time to do it, with the MW and BO trilogies now finished. I always thought it was a bit confusing that one franchise had two sub-franchises within. I think that was related to IW having most of the influence and not wanting Treyarch to cut in. Now that IW and Treyarch are now pretty much on par with each other, I don't know why they wouldn't just collaborate on one big storyline together while still alternating releases.

Evil Tim 09-11-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39610)
And if they ever wanted to do one huge saga, this would be the best time to do it, with the MW and BO trilogies now finished. I always thought it was a bit confusing that one franchise had two sub-franchises within. I think that was related to IW having most of the influence and not wanting Treyarch to cut in. Now that IW and Treyarch are now pretty much on par with each other, I don't know why they wouldn't just collaborate on one big storyline together while still alternating releases.

I think it was probably for the same reason as the Metroid Prime games; if Treyarch's games turned out to suck, Activision could have just told everyone to ignore them.

To be honest I tend to prefer the Treyarch games; Infinity Ward want to tell Big Significant Stories but their actual game design tends to be a little tepid; Treyarch make Big Stupid Games which are about having fun. IW let me roll around on an Abrams firing a minigun for a few seconds, Treyarch gave me a T-34 with infinite ammo, a flamethrower, and a furiously overacting Gary Oldman riding shotgun.

I know which one I preferred. :D

Also, Treyarch have been trying to do that RTS minigame for the last two instalments, I'm kind of interested to see where they're going with that.

funkychinaman 09-11-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39613)
I think it was probably for the same reason as the Metroid Prime games; if Treyarch's games turned out to suck, Activision could have just told everyone to ignore them.

To be honest I tend to prefer the Treyarch games; Infinity Ward want to tell Big Significant Stories but their actual game design tends to be a little tepid; Treyarch make Big Stupid Games which are about having fun. IW let me roll around on an Abrams firing a minigun for a few seconds, Treyarch gave me a T-34 with infinite ammo, a flamethrower, and a furiously overacting Gary Oldman riding shotgun.

I know which one I preferred. :D

Also, Treyarch have been trying to do that RTS minigame for the last two instalments, I'm kind of interested to see where they're going with that.

I can understand Activision being a little gunshy about Treyarch after CoD3, but the WAW/BO trilogy was very well done. I remember explaining the CoD franchise to a buddy of mine and realizing how weird it was that the same franchise released vastly different games every year. I also like how Treyarch realizes it's just a game, and doesn't try shoehorning in stuff about duty and sacrifice next to a ham-fisted homage to The Rock

Activision just released an iOS app based on the Strike Team missions. I have their previous zombies game on my Android tablet. I've been hoping for a separate Zombies franchise since BO1. It sucks paying ten bucks for four new maps every time DLC rolls out since three of them are useless since I don't play multiplayer.

Evil Tim 09-11-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39614)
I can understand Activision being a little gunshy about Treyarch after CoD3, but the WAW/BO trilogy was very well done. I remember explaining the CoD franchise to a buddy of mine and realizing how weird it was that the same franchise released vastly different games every year. I also like how Treyarch realizes it's just a game, and doesn't try shoehorning in stuff about duty and sacrifice next to a ham-fisted homage to The Rock

They do come up with some interesting stuff, but it's more in the sense of 'hey, think about this' than the self-conscious attempts to be sophisticated that IW is prone to. Like in World At War there's that section where you can shoot the Nazis in the subway entrance yourself or Reznov will have the Soviet soldiers burn them to death with Molotovs, and if you do the former then Chernov regards it as evil because he never saw the other option.

But Treyarch's more prone to trying things in gameplay, like the RTS segments, whole-campaign co-op in World At War and the multiple story branches in Black Ops 2. I think IW's been swallowed up by people who want to make movies rather than games. And spending two games obsessing over a character they included purely as a joke in CoD4 didn't help matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39614)
Activision just released an iOS app based on the Strike Team missions. I have their previous zombies game on my Android tablet. I've been hoping for a separate Zombies franchise since BO1. It sucks paying ten bucks for four new maps every time DLC rolls out since three of them are useless since I don't play multiplayer.

I always figured the Strike Team thing was a Wii U gimmick, actually; having the tac map on the second screen would have worked really well, but I hear they didn't do that.

funkychinaman 09-11-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39617)
They do come up with some interesting stuff, but it's more in the sense of 'hey, think about this' than the self-conscious attempts to be sophisticated that IW is prone to. Like in World At War there's that section where you can shoot the Nazis in the subway entrance yourself or Reznov will have the Soviet soldiers burn them to death with Molotovs, and if you do the former then Chernov regards it as evil because he never saw the other option.

I just remember playing that section and thinking "I'm playing a war crimes simulation." (And then at the end of the game, "I just helped drop the Iron Curtain. What the hell is wrong with this game?")

Quote:

But Treyarch's more prone to trying things in gameplay, like the RTS segments, whole-campaign co-op in World At War and the multiple story branches in Black Ops 2. I think IW's been swallowed up by people who want to make movies rather than games. And spending two games obsessing over a character they included purely as a joke in CoD4 didn't help matters.

What the hell, what happened to campaign co-op? I was so disappointed when I realized that BO didn't have it.

Quote:

I always figured the Strike Team thing was a Wii U gimmick, actually; having the tac map on the second screen would have worked really well, but I hear they didn't do that.

It's a shame they didn't incorporate that with SmartGlass. (I don't know what the Sony equivalent of that would be.)