imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Sounds in Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=910)

Kinzer 01-31-2010 05:50 AM

Gun Sounds in Movies

Why is it that in every movie, when ever some pulls out a gun, it's constantly making noises. Any character takes out a gun and it makes that chh-chk sound even though he is clearly not doing anything to the gun. He lowers the gun and it makes the sound again, points it at somebody, sets it down, looks at it...it's annoying. I mean are we supposed to think he is constantly uncocking and recocking it? It's just stupid. It's even worse when a gun is pulled and pointed at someones head. Seeing a firearm pointed at a persons face isn't enough, it need to making clicking noises. Just something that always bothered me.

predator20 01-31-2010 06:37 AM

I guess it's to say the gun is ready. But it's the worst with striker fired guns like Glock, etc and the sound of a hammer being cocked.

ManiacallyChallenged 01-31-2010 08:15 AM

It's a trope! A combination of "Shur Fine Guns" and "Noisy Guns."
Results in "Click Hello."
Etc.

The big one is pulling back the hammer to increase the threatening potential of your gun.
I guess... "Now I'm ready to fire in single action! You had better watch out!"

Zulu Two Six 01-31-2010 06:47 PM

i know what you mean kinzer.
someone will draw a gun and usually it will be silent. but NO!
it has to make every noise known to man.
*man draws gun* CHAKDKADLKM-ALKDMFAOEKAMLEKMAFEKKKKKK!

Spartan198 01-31-2010 06:51 PM

It's just Hollywood's way of "getting the most" out of a given actor or actress.

Mauser 01-31-2010 09:29 PM

Same thing happens whenever someone pulls a knife. It always sounds like there whipping out a broad sword or something. Sometimes they get carried away when editing and dubbing the film.

Phoenixent 02-01-2010 05:35 AM

Most of the time it is to fill the dead air in that scene. Most people watching a movie if you had just dead air no sound then they believe there is something wrong with the film. Also if you did not know this already all the sound is dubbed in the movie. The blanks we use have a great sound to them but a show will dub in the gunfire afterward.

Excalibur 02-01-2010 05:37 AM

Which is why I love a movie when someone takes out a gun or a knife, there is nothing but SILENCE!

MT2008 02-01-2010 04:32 PM

As Steve pointed out, the sound effects you hear are always added in post-production. It really is just the fault of the sound designers/folly editors. They think it sounds cool to hear a hammer cocking every time a gun is drawn, even if the actor is quite clearly not actually, physically cocking the weapon on camera. And even if the gun is hammerless, like a Glock.

Excalibur 02-01-2010 07:59 PM

Movies made by Micheal Mann always have good gun sounds and they sound more realistic and not much changed in post production