imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My Fantasy Book (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1023)

Swordfish941 04-18-2010 05:14 AM

My Fantasy Book

As you may've been noticing, I haven't updated my mercinary story. That's because I decided to put it on the shelf to gather dust. In th meantime, I'm writing a Tolkien-esque fantasy. It's called The Swordsman's Apprentice (and it is not a rip-off of The Sorcerer's Apprentice). It's about a young man named Salogel Bloom, the son of a blacksmith and a milk madien, who is taken under the wing of a master swordsman and swordsmith (named Benago Rogue). The two men, along with Garit, a bowman and hunter, are given a task by the forest elves to warn a nearby kingdom of men of an invading gobin army. They are followed by the younger sibling of an elven princess. Along the way, they meet friendly allies (like Cablos the Minotaur) and fearsome foes (such as timberhawks and leech serphants).

Swordfish941 04-19-2010 02:10 AM

I've waited all the for a single comment, but nobody has dropped in on this thead to comment. So I'll get your attention by describing the creatures.

Timberhawks - The name is a combination of the words timber wolf and hawk. The Timberhawk is described as being very large, approamatly ten times larger than a golden eagle. It is a hideous relative of the osprey, having the wings of a bat, the tail of a rat, and the beak of a buzzard. It's screech is so loud and horrid, that it causes pain to one's ears (sometimes making them bleed). It feeds off of hares, goats, and haddock. The group encounters them while resting in the Carron plains, where three of the birds try to make off with Salogel's pony and Garit's mare. The birds are driven off thanks to Garit's archery skills.

S&Wshooter 04-19-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 13113)
I've waited all the for a single comment, but nobody has dropped in on this thead to comment. So I'll get your attention by describing the creatures.

Timberhawks - The name is a combination of the words timber wolf and hawk. The Timberhawk is described as being very large, approamatly ten times larger than a golden eagle. It is a hideous relative of the osprey, having the wings of a bat, the tail of a rat, and the beak of a buzzard. It's screech is so loud and horrid, that it causes pain to one's ears (sometimes making them bleed). It feeds off of hares, goats, and haddock. The group encounters them while resting in the Carron plains, where three of the birds try to make off with Salogel's pony and Garit's mare. The birds are driven off thanks to Garit's archery skills.

Timberhawks: Nature's clay pigeon :D

Alcatrazz 04-19-2010 05:06 PM

How does magic work in your fantasy world?

Swordfish941 04-19-2010 08:54 PM

Sorry Alcatrazz, but there is little or no magic in my fantasy world. One of the magical things that's in my story is that elves are immortal and can only die in battle or a broken heart (I based my elves on Tolkien's elves). The group runs into the elves when in the northern forests. They have just found Garit's cousin, Gamlet's, lifeless body, covered with briuses and scars. While Garit mourns and cradles his cousin's body in his arms, Salogel notices that Aesop, his pony, is whinnying very loudly. He goes outside to investigate and runs smack into an elf, frighten with fear. The elf is being chased by a grotesque goblin armed with a scimatar. Salogel draws his sword and impales the goblin with it. Garit comes out and holds his bow on th goblin, telling him that he will ease his passing if he tells him the name of Gamlet's murderer. He sputters out the name Srunt, and Garit drives the arrow into his heart.

(NOTE: This section will be continued in my next post)

S&Wshooter 04-19-2010 09:03 PM

Are the elves pansies like in LOTR or are they ferocious, albiet hilariously diminutive, warriors?

Swordfish941 04-19-2010 09:47 PM

They are the latter.

Alcatrazz 04-19-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13124)
Are the elves pansies like in LOTR or are they ferocious, albiet hilariously diminutive, warriors?

The LOTR elves were certainly not pansies...

S&Wshooter 04-20-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 13127)
The LOTR elves were certainly not pansies...

Isn't Orlando effin' Bloom (the purest form of pansy) their greatest warrior or something like that?

Alcatrazz 04-20-2010 01:52 PM

Hugo Weaving and Craig Parker would like to have a word with you...

S&Wshooter 04-20-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 13139)
Hugo Weaving and Craig Parker would like to have a word with you...

I'd headbutt Weaving in his giant forehead. How far are you into writing the book?

Swordfish941 04-20-2010 09:24 PM

I have written 17 pages so far. After I'm done writing it, I'll go back and divide it into chapters.

Swordfish941 04-21-2010 09:43 PM

I'm now going to descrbe what each character looks like and what clothing they wear:

Salogel - Has dark brown, curly hair with mutton chops. He has sky blue eyes and a pale tone to his skin. He wears a wool shirt with brass buttons, brown pants with a black belt, and boots made from cowhide. He carries a broadsword on his belt in a leather sheath (which is replaced with a scabbard that he recieved as a parting gift from the elven princess Errina). The blade was made from iron and bronze and then coated in vorpal, a rare metal that gives a blade its sharpness, and is three feet in length. The hilt was made from iron and its handle is wrapped in a long strip of goatskin leather. He later takes an elven dagger from King Barin's (the ruler of the forest elves) armory and is given a hauberk of silver rings from the elf blacksmithes (which he keeps underneath his clothing.

Garit - Has auburn hair with a grizzily beard and gray eyes. Wears a green tunic with a green hood that has a golden tassel, dark brown pants, pitch black boots, and a black belt with a silver buckle. At first he uses a longbow made from hickory and arrows with the shaft made from ash, and the arrowheads from iron, but switches to Gamlet's longbow made from the horns of the white stag. He is given an elven dagger (along with a brass ring) from Errina.

Benago - Has fair brown hair, a large nose, and deep, blue eyes. He dress in a dark blue cloak, a blue grey shirt with broad sleeves, brown pants with two large pockets, and brown leather boots with rabbit fur lined on the inside. He wears a belt incrusted with white gems and a silver brooch in shape of a rose. He received both from his true love back in his home land of Madrin before she died of the scarlett fever. His main weapon is his broadsword Hellstorm, with runes inscribed on the blade and a hilt of silver with three rubies encrusted on it. His other weapons are a blood red sheild with a golden, four pointed star on it, and a long knife.

Swordfish941 04-26-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13128)
Isn't Orlando effin' Bloom (the purest form of pansy) their greatest warrior or something like that?

He isn't their greatest warrior, he just does some really cool stuff like taking down a giant elephant in the third film.

S&Wshooter 04-26-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 13266)
He isn't their greatest warrior, he just does some really cool stuff like taking down a giant elephant in the third film.

Meh. I could easily take out a giant elephant. All I'd need would be a 20mm rifle and a RPG 7

Swordfish941 04-26-2010 12:57 AM

What's impressive in Legolas's situation is that he used his longbow. Go buy Return Of The King and watch it.

Swordfish941 05-02-2010 03:24 AM

I've been thinking of a scene when Salogel encounters The Goblin King (please give me ideas for a name). He falls through a fissure in the side of the mountain of the sinners (as described as Benago being full of "goblins, boggles, imps, and boygs . . . All of them severants of the dark and hellish fiends"). He is captured by the king's followers and dragged to the King's throne room. The king gives him the choice of working in the mines as a slave or being chopped into mincemeat and boiled in a cauldron. Salogel overpowers his captors and recovers his sword. He then fights his way out of the mountian and meets up with his master and his friends.

Alcatrazz 05-02-2010 03:35 AM

Kyrgath, king of the goblins.

Swordfish941 05-02-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 13373)
Kyrgath, king of the goblins.

Fits like a charm.

S&Wshooter 05-02-2010 05:55 AM

Are there Vikings in your book? They'd just end up killing everything while taking very little casualties (if it were realistic), but it'd still be fun to read

Swordfish941 05-03-2010 08:06 PM

I've thought of using sea raiders in a possible sequal. They're allies to the protaganists and are immune to the effects of sea water.