imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Sopranos (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=315)

SgtSaunders 06-12-2009 09:57 AM

The Sopranos

In the pilot episode, there's a scene in which Carmella confronts a would-be burglar outside her house with what looks like an AKM, which turns out to be Meadow rappelling down a wall. Is it an AKM?.

In the episode "Denial, Anger, Acceptance", there's a scene in which Christopher fires 2 shots in the air when returning a truck that his friend Brendan stole from a trucking company under Uncle Junior's protection. It looks like a full-size Beretta semi-auto. The best view of it is when he fires it and the muzzle blast lights it up.

Also, in "Meadowlands", when Tony arrives at Junior's restaurant to try to reach a compromise with him, he's seen checking his handgun before going in. It looks like a classic Smith & Wesson semi-auto. Looks like a long slide version.

I'd attach stills from the scenes but I can't seem to take screen captures from the DVD in WMP.

Thanks

AdAstra2009 06-12-2009 01:17 PM

get a screencap

MT2008 06-12-2009 03:04 PM

I recommend VLC Media Player if you want screencaps.

AdAstra2009 06-12-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 3750)
I recommend VLC Media Player if you want screencaps.

I usually just play it on my PC and use printscreen.

Gunmaster45 06-13-2009 02:20 AM

Your lucky you have one of the DVD players that allows that, mine just shows a black page when I try to print screen it. Luckily my player has a screencap button and devoted folder.

SgtSaunders 06-13-2009 11:15 AM

I use Windows Media Player 11 and when I try to take a screenshot with 'Print Screen' I get a blank image when I paste it into 'Paint'. I tried all the common tricks to take screen captures, but to no avail. I tried turning off the overlays and the video accelaration but none of it works. I do manage to paste an image, but when I attempt to save it as a jpeg image I get a blank screen. When I save it as a bmp image I get a screenshot, but it switches to the next frame if I resume the video (as if the video is playing in the screenshot) or it turns blank if I shut the video off.

MT2008 06-13-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtSaunders (Post 3776)
I use Windows Media Player 11 and when I try to take a screenshot with 'Print Screen' I get a blank image when I paste it into 'Paint'. I tried all the common tricks to take screen captures, but to no avail. I tried turning off the overlays and the video accelaration but none of it works. I do manage to paste an image, but when I attempt to save it as a jpeg image I get a blank screen. When I save it as a bmp image I get a screenshot, but it switches to the next frame if I resume the video (as if the video is playing in the screenshot) or it turns blank if I shut the video off.

Yep, that's what happens to me, too, and I couldn't figure out why. Which is why you should ditch WMP and try VLC Media Player.

SgtSaunders 06-14-2009 05:53 AM

I installed VLC and its built-in screen capture feature works great. Thanks for the tip-off guys.

SgtSaunders 06-14-2009 06:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I'll get captures from the scenes described in my first post later as I had to return the DVD to Blockbuster.

In the meantime, here's a scene from the Season 1 episode "The Legend Of Tennessee Moltisanti" in which Tony transfers a cache of money and guns from a ceiling duct opening in his house into a duffel bag in anticipation of a police raid on his house. One of the guns in his cache is a Beretta full-size semi-auto pistol, but what model is it?

SgtSaunders 06-14-2009 08:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
In the same scene, he also transfers a pump-action shotgun with a top-folding stock into the duffel bag. It looks like a Remington 870P 12-gauge pump shotgun. What do you guys think?

MT2008 06-14-2009 03:58 PM

The shotgun is definitely an 870 folder, but the pistol is really not seen clearly (I'm not even sure how you can tell it's a Beretta at all). If it is a Beretta, it's probably a 92F, since the 92F is by far the most common Beretta in movies (actually, one of the most common handguns, period).

SgtSaunders 06-14-2009 07:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the screen captures for my initial post.
"In the pilot episode, there's a scene in which Carmella confronts a would-be burglar outside her house with what looks like an AKM, which turns out to be Meadow rappelling down a wall. Is it an AKM?."

"In the episode "Denial, Anger, Acceptance", there's a scene in which Christopher fires 2 shots in the air when returning a truck that his friend Brendan stole from a trucking company under Uncle Junior's protection. It looks like a full-size Beretta semi-auto. The best view of it is when he fires it and the muzzle blast lights it up."

SgtSaunders 06-14-2009 10:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
In the episode "Meadowlands", there's a scene in Jackie Aprile's hospital room when Christopher is telling Tony what happened to him and Brendan at the end of the previous episode. At some point he pulls out a semi-auto in frustration at his situation. It looks like a SiG-Sauer semi-auto pistol. I don't know if anybody can make out a model from these screens.

Gunmaster45 06-14-2009 10:16 PM

For the AK, I'm almost inclined to believe it is an actual AK-47 and not an AKM, but the gas ports on the barrel aren't easy to see. Maybe MT2008 or MPM2008 could help out on that matter.

The gun in the hospital appears to be a SIG-Sauer P226 based on the squared trigger guard.

MT2008 06-14-2009 11:01 PM

The top of the AK's front sight seems to be broken off. I'd have to look at the receiver to be sure, but it seems to be either a genuine AK-47 (or a Poly Tech Legend copy), or a Type 56.

The SIG pistol is either a P220 or P226 (almost surely the latter, since the P226 is the common SIG in movies).

SgtSaunders 06-15-2009 01:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the help guys, I'm updating the Sopranos page as I get more IDs.

Here's the third and last one from my original post.
"In "Meadowlands", when Tony arrives at Junior's restaurant to try to reach a compromise with him, he's seen checking his handgun before going in. It looks like a classic Smith & Wesson semi-auto. Looks like a long slide version."

Gunmaster45 06-15-2009 10:16 PM

I'd agree, it looks like a Smith & Wesson 39 or one of the older variants.

SgtSaunders 06-18-2009 02:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
In the "I Dream Of Jeannie Cusamano" scene where Jimmy Altieri gets shot in the back of the head by Silvio for being an informant, Jimmy makes a failed attempt to retrieve his silver snub-nose revolver in his ankle holster. Can anybody make it out?

SgtSaunders 05-09-2010 12:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
In the first episode of the third season a drunk Patsy Parisi is seen in Tony's backyard pointing a snub-nosed revolver at him. Any ideas what it is? Here are some screens.