imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My father has passed. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2469)

Jcordell 08-18-2016 03:48 PM

My father has passed.

My father passed away on August 16th, 2016. At 8:00 A.M. He was getting dressed, collapsed and he was gone. He was seventy-two. No warning. He was scared of a long drawn out illness so this is what he wanted. He was a Vietnam veteran and served as a police officer for approximately twenty-four years (1970-1994). I got the call an hour after his death. I left work, we packed a few suitcases and took off. I live in western Idaho which is approximately a five hour drive from where my parents live in Eastern Idaho.

Right now very busy. Mom told me to take care of dad's gun collection and all of the various accoutrements. I spent five hours last night sorting things out and I'm still not done. I have picked out those pieces that I want; M1 carbine, M1 Garand, Winchester Model 1300 riot-gun, Mauser 98K rifle, U.S. M14 rifle - not a Springfield but a genuine M14 semi-auto only, Colt Combat Commander from 1973 with the all steel frame, S&W Model 65 - one of his service revolvers, S&W Model 4516, Beretta 92FS, S&W 686 - 4"barrel, and a S&W Model 4586 which he carried the last four years he worked as a state trooper and was presented to him when he retired. My son is going to get Dad's Colt Officers Model which he had Cylinder & Slide work on about twenty years ago and my daughter wants the Ruger 10-22. That's it. Just a plain old Ruger 22 carbine, but she associates that little plinker with grandpa I guess. So much stuff. Reloading equipment, ammo, stocks, leather gear, carrying cases, parts and pieces. Then there are all the photographs and hats and coffee cups. He even held onto the program from my high school graduation back in 1986 as well as every single school issued ID card I had from 7th grade to 12th grade. Every one. Memories are everywhere.

funkychinaman 08-18-2016 05:33 PM

I'm really sorry to hear that. Stay strong.

SPEMack618 08-18-2016 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear that Brother. You will be in Jackie's and I prayers. Glad he went quickly.

Sounds like you will have quite the gun collection to remember him by and so glad your daughter will have her plinking rifle.

I treasure my Granddaddy's dove gun.

Excalibur 08-18-2016 09:05 PM

My condolences, buddy.

We're all here for you.

Jcordell 08-19-2016 02:47 AM

Thanks guys.

Swordfish941 08-19-2016 07:10 PM

That sucks. You have my condolences, dude.

Nyles 08-23-2016 08:43 PM

Sorry to hear it. At least you have lots to remember him by.

Jcordell 08-25-2016 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 42906)
Sorry to hear it. At least you have lots to remember him by.

Thank you Nyles. I'm home now and the guns are in my safe. It took some maneuvering, but they're now secure. All of them have been recorded and entered into my ledger. My father wasn't a big one for recordkeeping when it came to his firearms, but he paid for me to go to college. Not gifted in the math or science I choose history. One of the great liberal art fields and stresses reading and writing. Though not destined to have employment in a lucrative field I at least learned the importance of documentation. So all of dad's guns are now recorded. Though I wish the circumstances were different I am awash in firearms.

AdAstra2009 08-27-2016 11:27 PM

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. take care.

Nyles 08-30-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 42909)
Thank you Nyles. I'm home now and the guns are in my safe. It took some maneuvering, but they're now secure. All of them have been recorded and entered into my ledger. My father wasn't a big one for recordkeeping when it came to his firearms, but he paid for me to go to college. Not gifted in the math or science I choose history. One of the great liberal art fields and stresses reading and writing. Though not destined to have employment in a lucrative field I at least learned the importance of documentation. So all of dad's guns are now recorded. Though I wish the circumstances were different I am awash in firearms.

I'm sure you do. Love to see them when things are more settled for you.