imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SPAMMERS gotta go! (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2020)

MoviePropMaster2008 07-22-2012 09:56 PM

SPAMMERS gotta go!

Okay, I'm sick and tired of the amount of SPAM we have to delete and the number of users we have to BAN.

I was just on a Sci-Fi forum and one of the steps in registration was correctly identifying certain sci fi characters

Ex:

Who is the Captain of Serenity?

1) Captain Reynolds
2) Captain Kirk
3) Captain Picard
4) Captain Janeway

Who is famous for saying "Stop, Dave, I'm Afraid"

1) Hal 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey
2) Korben Dallas from The Fifth Element
3) Gort the robot from The Day the Earth Stood Still
4) Commander Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation

Even if someone did not know the answer, a real human being could google the answer and pass the quiz.

We should have a challenge quiz like this:

Which one of these is a HANDGUN:
1) Glock 17
2) Remington 870
3) Colt AR-15
4) PPSH-41

In the vast majority of Movie Westerns, the cowboys use a:
1) Single Action Army
2) Winchester Model 70 rifle
3) SPAS-12 Shotgun
4) Walther PPK

If anyone doesn't know these obvious questions, they should NOT be making contributions to IMFDB.

Thoughts?

funkychinaman 07-22-2012 10:46 PM

That's awesome. On a technical level, I wonder if we can pull that off.

Excalibur 07-23-2012 03:05 AM

That is an awesome idea. We should implement it somehow.

zackmann08 07-23-2012 04:32 PM

Just so you guys know, Chris and I are working on a number of different options to try to limit the spam. I know it's getting annoying but please know we are working on this. It's not as easy as you might think.

zackmann08 07-23-2012 04:36 PM

UPDATE: As of 9:35 (Pacific Time), registration is disabled for the time being. There will be no new user accounts until further notice.

Excalibur 07-23-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 35522)
UPDATE: As of 9:35 (Pacific Time), registration is disabled for the time being. There will be no new user accounts until further notice.

All that's left is to weed out any current user that might still be spammers or trolls.

MoviePropMaster2008 07-24-2012 03:13 AM

As of yesterday, I can't log into IMFDB. Just great. The login button doesn't recognize my mouse cursor and won't let me 'click it'. What is up with that? :mad:

Oh well, no uploads for me until this is figured out.

MPM

Ben41 07-24-2012 06:32 AM

MPM,

Have you tried going to back to the main page after you lose your cursor and trying to log in again? The disappearing cursor happens to me a lot and that's what I do.

Excalibur 07-24-2012 12:11 PM

That's happened to me on occasion. Usually after I type my username and password, I quickly press enter

Evil Tim 07-25-2012 09:55 AM

Those replies are actually pretty easy to get around, most of these little sods can do rudimentary image recognition to solve jpeg Capchas, nevermind just throwing random numbers at a text challenge and keeping a text log of the question / answer pairs.

Really, given we're not a regular wiki and don't really need users who don't know anything, why not ask people to explain what they want to have the account for and manually approve accounts? Sure, it'll mean a backlog to work through, but at least it won't be a backlog to work through and spam to delete.