imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dems introduce high-capacity magazine ban in the House (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2117)

AdAstra2009 01-03-2013 11:31 PM

Dems introduce high-capacity magazine ban in the House

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/03/dems..._in_the_house/

Quote:

Thursday, Jan 3, 2013 04:57 PM EST
Dems introduce high-capacity magazine ban in the House
Rep. Diana DeGette represents the Colorado district that includes Columbine High School
By Jillian Rayfield

more

Topics: Jeff Flake, NRA, Peter King, Arizona, Newtown school shooting, Wayne LaPierre, Dana DeGette, Politics News
Dems introduce high-capacity magazine ban in the House (Credit: Laborant via Shutterstock)

Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., introduced a ban on high-capacity magazines in the House earlier today, the first day of the new session of Congress.

According to the AP, DeGette introduced the bill with Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., whose husband was killed in a 1993 mass shooting on the Long Island Rail Road in New York. From the AP:

[DeGette]‘s district includes the site of the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School. It is also adjacent to last year’s Aurora movie theater shooting site. In both of those attacks, the shooters’ rifles were modified with high-capacity magazines. Those devices allow attackers to fire dozens of bullets without pausing to reload.

Though it’s still unclear whether a ban can pass the Republican-controlled House, there were some promising signs from at least one Republican earlier today.

Rep. Peter King, also from New York, said on “Morning Joe”: ”I voted for the assault weapon ban back in 1994. My father was a police officer. I really don’t know why people need assault weapons.”

And Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., an extremely conservative congressman with an A rating from the NRA, said he was “troubled” by NRA chief Wayne LaPierre’s proposal to put armed police officers in every school in the country.

“I was troubled by that proposal, greatly troubled by that kind of Washington mandate, federal involvement in local schools,” Flake said in an interview with KTVK on Wednesday. “Schools, with regard to curriculum, with regard to teachers and staffing, those decisions are best made on the local level … As well as security issues are best made at the local level as well, not some edict from Washington.”
Close

Jillian Rayfield is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on politics. Follow her on Twitter at @jillrayfield or email her at jrayfield@salon.com. More Jillian Rayfield.
Related video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXrAt7-ij2k

Mazryonh 01-04-2013 03:51 PM

"Don't come to California, California will come to you"?

Well at least its gun regulations might.

AdAstra2009 01-04-2013 10:46 PM

If you haven't I suggest you write your representatives.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...046526&type=ML

Jcordell 01-04-2013 11:22 PM

Knew this was coming. We will just have to see what happens. I've done my writing. All three of my reps are against any gun control bills. Their voting record back them up. At least some of the frenzy that was running so strongly a couple weeks ago has died down.

Personally I don't really care what a rep says about the NRA to a reporter. The real influence comes when the NRA gets that senator's constituents to write and call his/her offices.

It was just as bad (in my opinion worse) in the summer of 1999 after Colombine. Except then they had the AWB in place so they were going after other stuff.

Clinton held a nationally televised press conference in which he trotted out all the various gun control bills and he and Hillary blathered on and on about how this was for the best. The package of bills passed through the senate by one vote (Al Gore was the deciding vote) and then died in the House.

Clinton was furious when that happened. He was in Europe at the time it died and he told the press that "Those people are a threat to national security". Those people being American gun-owners. I was in the Army at the time and I was absoutely disgusted with him. I was a threat. The guy wearing the uniform.

Rosie O'Donnell stated on her show that if you owned a gun in America in 1999 you should be in prison. Everywhere you turned the celebs and talking heads were coming after us. The anti-gun fever went on for months after Colombine.It was nuts. It's probably the most politically active that I've ever been.

It was a very close thing. Many a politican was talking about how the NRA was out of touch and no longer had any influence and they were going to vote their conscience and not listen to anyone telling them otherwise. The momentum of the gun grabbers almost seemed unstoppable.

From what I can see it isn't nearly as feverish as it was thirteen years ago. Much of the furor seems to have already died down, but don't relax either.

funkychinaman 01-04-2013 11:51 PM

Gore went on to lose his own state in the presidential election the next year, which would've turned the election for him. The gun grabbers backed off after that.

SPEMack618 01-05-2013 12:03 AM

The sense I'm getting from all of my gun bloggers and what's coming out in the news is a sense of guarded optimism that the bill(s) will fail, but I fear some sort of Hail mary from a democratic senate sensing a weakened GOP and fearing voter black lash in the upcoming mid-term elections. or a copy cat shooting with an AR-15.

Jcordell 01-05-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37407)
The sense I'm getting from all of my gun bloggers and what's coming out in the news is a sense of guarded optimism that the bill(s) will fail, but I fear some sort of Hail mary from a democratic senate sensing a weakened GOP and fearing voter black lash in the upcoming mid-term elections. or a copy cat shooting with an AR-15.

I'm with you. A guarded optimism. Good description.

SPEMack618 01-06-2013 08:06 PM

Sen. McConnell stated that no gun control measures would be heard for atleast three months while Congress tackled the fiscal cliff and the economy.

To me, this is both good and bad. Your average American will forget about gun control, which is good, but your average gun owner will too, which is bad.

To quote Jeb Stuart, "keep up the skeer."

funkychinaman 01-06-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37436)
Sen. McConnell stated that no gun control measures would be heard for atleast three months while Congress tackled the fiscal cliff and the economy.

To me, this is both good and bad. Your average American will forget about gun control, which is good, but your average gun owner will too, which is bad.

To quote Jeb Stuart, "keep up the skeer."

At least a three month wait will take away a lot of the emotional component to this

Spartan198 01-07-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37437)
At least a three month wait will take away a lot of the emotional component to this

That's what I'm thinking.