imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

Excalibur 06-14-2016 06:18 PM

I think the idea is, it's better to have it in the first place. I know plenty of people who travel around with a "bugout" bag and inside is some sort of carbine, either pistol caliber or rifle caliber. That's also why I know guys who don't carry small guns. Big guns are better to shoot and can throw down more rounds.

Yes, my bug out bag is in my car, but where I work, my car is close enough to run to. I'd rather have the option than others telling me I can't own one.

I also buy ammo at every paycheck and if I see a sale on magazines, I would get a few.

Train and practice constantly and always be vigilant

StanTheMan 06-14-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42724)
I'd rather have the option than others telling me I can't own one.

Pretty much this. Ostensibly it'll be for home defense but really it's more to fit her semi-contrarian 'go screw yourselves telling me what I as an independent free-thinking and self-operating adult woman can and can't have' attitude, which in this particular instance has only been reinforced with the ever-growing maligned sentiment clamoring for AR bans (Even my late night man Conan broke his form and stepped in the ring with that shit, bah). Just how she is - They say she shouldn't have something when she otherwise has the right, she'll have it almost totally to spite them. It's enough for her that she has the right anyway, regardless of all the statist schoolmarm assholes bleating about how people don't 'need' semiauto 5.56s - 'need' is almost totally irrelevant there. Keep in mind this is not really a young woman who is into firearms in the first place, let alone 'scary black rifles', but as said, she likes the right to the option, and the right to exercise said option.

I really have no say in this regard (nor frankly have I any desire to argue against anyway), all I've been able to do is caution her a bit and give her insight on the actual proper and practical uses of such a tool. In truth I doubt it'll ever be used as anything more than a range toy, but again, to her, no one else's damn business or concern why she has it. That said, I agree mainly that in an actual active shooter scenario a rifle is unlikely to be much help short of being slung on your person, but I think Excalibur makes a good point about having it as part of a bug out kit/plan (that'd be how I'd go about it). Home defense is another story, however (though personally I've always leaned to the shotty there myself).

Excalibur 06-14-2016 07:39 PM

I like the shotgun and I live with my brother. He can work his 870 like a surgeon, but I prefer my AR for awhile. Semi auto, more rounds in case I miss, which I trained to not often. If I do miss, it's 1 small hole verse a bunch of hole with buck shot.

Right now, I got my paperwork started on SBRing my EVO an that could be my potential bed side gun. It's shorter, so it can work tighter spaces better. People debate the effectiveness of a 9mm, but out of a carbine like gun and hollow points...it's pretty effective.

I've also been looking at suppressors. My "ultimate" HD gun could eventually be a SBR AR-15 with a suppressor attached in .300 blackout. Very potent round out of an SBR and pretty damn quiet.

S&Wshooter 06-15-2016 06:38 AM

If you shoot someone with that SBR, be ready to have to sue the PD to get it back

Excalibur 06-15-2016 03:31 PM

My answer moved to other thread

Spartan198 06-15-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42727)
People debate the effectiveness of a 9mm, but out of a carbine like gun and hollow points...it's pretty effective.

The main issue around 9mm has more to do with standard ball ammunition rather than actual caliber. Hollow point and +P tend to, for the most part, be relatively on par with .45 in terms of wounding capability.

Excalibur 06-15-2016 07:27 PM

And that is why I pick 9mm. I carry +P hollow points in all my defensive guns. Now I like the .45. It's a big bullet...but that's pretty much it.

StanTheMan 06-15-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42735)
And that is why I pick 9mm. I carry +P hollow points in all my defensive guns. Now I like the .45. It's a big bullet...but that's pretty much it.

When it comes to semiautos personally I still lean to the .45 but I do agree 9mms certainly work. I've noticed even more diehard .45 guys are starting to come around some after seeing certain 9mm loads that they have to admit perform quite impressively. Of course being the big wheelgun guy I am I typically bow out of that boondoggle of a debate entirely. Still though..

I have to say for a while I saw pistol-caliber carbines as something of a fad and curiosity, but looking into it more they certainly have their places outside of having a bigger but similarly chambered range toy. In a world where I have winning lotto numbers I can now certainly see having one with a corresponding pistol(s), if only to not be a bit of a hypocrite standing next to some lever-action Magnum carbine among a slew of revolvers.

Excalibur 06-16-2016 02:13 PM

I think the idea of the pistol caliber carbine or PCC is that you can't legally have a submachine gun, so you get something close. Which is a 9mm shoulder arm. Or in the case of my Scorpion Evo pistol, technically I call it a subgun, but it's legally a pistol with a cheek rest on it. The allure of it goes back to submachine guns. A pistol caliber shoulder arm that has a lot more stability in a gun fight than a simple pistol. When shouldered, a subgun shoots more accurate and is easier to learn for beginner shooter, in fact long guns are always easier for beginners because of the extra point of contact

MT2008 06-19-2016 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42653)
I started my gun collection not carrying for Glocks either, but they are simple, fairly reasonable price and reliable.

Yeah, I'm still a SIG guy, but I'm finding that I'm shooting my Glocks a lot more often than anything else these days.

Here are all three of mine:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/9/94/Glocks172634.JPG

Even crazier: I'm already thinking about picking up either a -19 or a -21.

Excalibur 06-20-2016 02:53 PM

You aren't a true glock owner without having a fun stick in one of them. I recommend trying out ETS mags. They are pretty awesome for less money

Mandolin 06-20-2016 08:21 PM

Had a customer come in today with a Glock on his belt, mag sticking out the bottom.

Politely leaned forward and asked in my best your-fly-is-open tone, asked "Is your mag falling out or is that an extended mag?"

It was an extended mag.

Excalibur 06-20-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 42750)
Had a customer come in today with a Glock on his belt, mag sticking out the bottom.

Politely leaned forward and asked in my best your-fly-is-open tone, asked "Is your mag falling out or is that an extended mag?"

It was an extended mag.

Once I was helping a delivery and the house happened to belong to a cop and he was carrying a 2 tone Glock with an extended mag on his belt...for some reason...and to add to the unintentional racism, the cop was black

MT2008 06-20-2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42748)
You aren't a true glock owner without having a fun stick in one of them. I recommend trying out ETS mags. They are pretty awesome for less money

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have bought it myself, but the guy who traded me the -34 had it and was willing to throw it into the deal. I think it looks cool on the gun, though I don't ever use it.

Mandolin 06-21-2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42751)
Once I was helping a delivery and the house happened to belong to a cop and he was carrying a 2 tone Glock with an extended mag on his belt...for some reason...and to add to the unintentional racism, the cop was black

The guy with the extended mag today was black too. But the gun wasn't two-tone

S&Wshooter 06-21-2016 06:57 AM

Dude I used to talk to a bit that was part of the South African Police Service Special Task Force at the tail end of apartheid told me he used to carry a 20 round magazine in his Beretta 92. Got tired of being told his mag was falling out, started using it as a spare

S&Wshooter 06-21-2016 06:58 AM

Oh also, when I worked in a gun shop, any time I was carrying my 459 I had my 20 rounder in my back pocket; would have never kept it in the gun, since it'd guarantee I'd knock it into something

Excalibur 06-21-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 42755)
Dude I used to talk to a bit that was part of the South African Police Service Special Task Force at the tail end of apartheid told me he used to carry a 20 round magazine in his Beretta 92. Got tired of being told his mag was falling out, started using it as a spare

If I was in a police force and allowed to carry an extended mag, I wouldn't give a fuck if someone thinks my mag is falling out. I got more rounds than he does.

commando552 06-21-2016 07:07 PM

I used to carry a P226 with a 20 round mag and got the "your mags falling out" thing a couple of times too. With these mags it especially looks like they are falling out though, as the old style 20 rounder I got a hold of (I believe they were initially used by the SAS but have filtered out a bit and I procured one) has a bottom which looks exactly like the bottom of a standard magazine without any kind of spacer.

Excalibur 06-22-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 42760)
I used to carry a P226 with a 20 round mag and got the "your mags falling out" thing a couple of times too. With these mags it especially looks like they are falling out though, as the old style 20 rounder I got a hold of (I believe they were initially used by the SAS but have filtered out a bit and I procured one) has a bottom which looks exactly like the bottom of a standard magazine without any kind of spacer.

Yeah, I saw the SAS Survival Secrets series and Eddie Stone mentioned he would carry his P226 with 20 round magazines all the time.

Personally, for my Glock19, when I carry, I would just have the standard capacity 15 round mag +1 because I'm still trying my best to conceal it and it works. I would only carry a spare and that has an extension, so it's 19 rounds.

So guys I know, who had just gotten out of the military at first didn't care if his gun isn't concealing well and say they rely on their training to prevent someone from getting a hold of their gun...then I'd mention that if a bad guy is looking around and is here to cause trouble, they'd take out the guy who is visibly armed. Concealing your gun gives you an advantage

S&Wshooter 07-10-2016 11:46 PM

A S&W 645 that was obviously a safe queen, a box of low recoil Remington buck, and some Hornady Critical Duty .45's

I love how this 645 feels, and the sights. Trigger isn't even that bad, reminds me of my (now broken thanks to Ruger) Redhawk

Excalibur 07-12-2016 04:13 PM

Been thinking about getting the newer Kel-tec Sub2000 because when it's folded, it counts as the firearm being disassembled and I want that as my trunk gun for when I go to work instead of a handgun. Illinois law is stupid but they do say if the firearm is taken apart, it's ok for transport in your car out of state. Though the law also states that if you are a CCW holder from out of state, it is ok to leave a loaded gun in your car as long as it is locked up.

commando552 07-12-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42816)
Been thinking about getting the newer Kel-tec Sub2000 because when it's folded, it counts as the firearm being disassembled and I want that as my trunk gun for when I go to work instead of a handgun. Illinois law is stupid but they do say if the firearm is taken apart, it's ok for transport in your car out of state. Though the law also states that if you are a CCW holder from out of state, it is ok to leave a loaded gun in your car as long as it is locked up.

Do you know if having an AR with the receiver held open with something like a cleaning link would count as it being a disassembled firearm and hence legal in this case?

Excalibur 07-12-2016 05:00 PM

that's not a bad idea. I could get an AR pistol like that and just have it opened and that could count as disassembled...

commando552 07-12-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42818)
that's not a bad idea. I could get an AR pistol like that and just have it opened and that could count as disassembled...

I assume that if you were to remove the bolt it would deffinitely count as disassembled, but if it was just opened then if it was to close then the only thing that makes it disassembled would be the rear pin being out and am not sure that would fly. Hence why I think you might have to use something like a cleaning link to keep it open so that you can PROVE it is disassembled.

On second thought I suppose that you could just put the rear pin while it is open to stop it closing. Either way you could use one of those quick release pins to make it easier to put back together/take apart in a hurry.

Excalibur 07-12-2016 08:22 PM

I'm gonna ask some people I know about that because it would be awesome to build an AR pistol for my purpose.

Excalibur 07-12-2016 08:30 PM

Technically I don't have to break it down, but it's an extra law of legal protection. If someone I got a search without warrant or consent and my gun is discovered after without consent breaking the lock of the case opened, then it would help protect me legally if the gun is technically "apart" and not fully assembled.

SPEMack618 08-14-2016 12:14 AM

So, Jackie and I got engaged in May. Part of the deal was I wasn't going to buy anymore guns until I bought the ring. Man, you never realize how many guns you were gonna buy until you can't.

That being said, Jackie bought me an engagement gun.

New production Winchester Model 70 Sporter. 22 inch barrel. .270 Winchester, because Jack O'Connor.

Leoupold 3x9 Rifleman scope.

Will post pics tomorrow.

Jcordell 08-14-2016 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 42867)
So, Jackie and I got engaged in May. Part of the deal was I wasn't going to buy anymore guns until I bought the ring. Man, you never realize how many guns you were gonna buy until you can't.

That being said, Jackie bought me an engagement gun.

New production Winchester Model 70 Sporter. 22 inch barrel. .270 Winchester, because Jack O'Connor.

Leoupold 3x9 Rifleman scope.

Will post pics tomorrow.

She sounds like a keeper. Especially if she knows who Jack 'Connor was.

StanTheMan 08-14-2016 08:26 PM

^ I concur. Congrats and best to ya both.

S&Wshooter 08-17-2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42816)

You should get a 645 instead, way better

Recently I've gotten a 5900 series Mec Gar, a factory 39 mag, a slidefire stock (gift), a ton of handgun ammo, and I'm bidding on more 4506/645 mags

Congrats SPEMack

Excalibur 08-17-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 42874)
You should get a 645 instead, way better

You would recommend me a Smith & Wesson gun.

I think I'm going to build an AR pistol and have that be my truck gun for when I travel.

S&Wshooter 08-17-2016 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42876)
You would recommend me a Smith & Wesson gun.

I think I'm going to build an AR pistol and have that be my truck gun for when I travel.

M&P15 pistol? Do it

Excalibur 08-18-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 42877)
M&P15 pistol? Do it

I was gonna build one actually and put the new SB Tactical adjustable brace that looks like a retracting stock but legally isn't

S&Wshooter 09-01-2016 04:26 AM

Hi Point .45 mags for my friend, some 4506 mags for myself, some handgun ammo. I need to focus on getting more .45 and .308

S&Wshooter 09-02-2016 12:53 AM

Ruger P94 because the price was decent and the gun is in really good shape, ordered 3 mags and 5 boxes of .40 for it

I'd been wanting a .40 for a while (I can always find ammo here, even when 9mm and .45 is sold to the bare shelves), had been waiting for a good police trade in or a 4006 or something, but honestly this fits the bill alright. I'd also been wanting a beater gun to leave in my car, so there's two birds with one stone

S&Wshooter 06-06-2017 04:50 AM

I forgot this thread existed

paid all the fees and such for my Texas LTC, so getting that soon

bought a fuckton of 4506 mags, have 11 now between 2 guns

Taurus PT111 Gen 2 (surprisingly decent, but the finish blows) for a general "I don't care if this goes in an evidence locker" gun

SOON: holster for PT111 and then LCP, Talon grips for PT111 because it's too slick at the top of the grip, P228 mags for PT111

Jcordell 06-10-2017 05:30 AM

Finally found a S&W Model 19 w/4" barrel today. I now have one of each. A 6", 4" and the 2.5". All three are pinned & recessed. It only took me four years to complete this little trio. Apologies for the photo quality. I was in a hurry and evidently there was some spots on the lens.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...pshpqjyecu.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...pspxlwnzkc.jpg

S&Wshooter 06-13-2017 09:18 PM

The only reason I own the 645 is that the place I went to had JUST sold the Model 66 I was going to pick up

I hope none of them ever develop forcing cone issues, jcordell, it's too nice of a collection

Jcordell 06-13-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 43622)
The only reason I own the 645 is that the place I went to had JUST sold the Model 66 I was going to pick up

I hope none of them ever develop forcing cone issues, jcordell, it's too nice of a collection

Thanks. I have to admit to being pleased as well. Took me four years to get those three. Nicely used P&R Model 19's aren't as easy to find anymore. Mostly 38 Special loads are fired through the 19's and my dad's (it will always be his in my mind) Model 65. The bulk of the magnums are fired through my Ruger GP-100 and once in awhile through my Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Notice I didn't write no .357 magnums are fired through the Model 19's. I stick to the 158 grain JSP loads though. The 125 grain are fired through the Ruger.