imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ever watched a movie that made you just hate Hollywood? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=382)

MT2008 07-14-2009 11:29 PM

Ever watched a movie that made you just hate Hollywood?

For me, the re-make of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" is one of those movies. I watched it this weekend, and I can't remember the last time a movie pissed me off as much as this one.

Spartan198 07-14-2009 11:48 PM

Not particularly. I try to look for the things I like in a given movie, rather than dwell on what I don't.

Gunmaster45 07-15-2009 01:45 AM

I hate when movies are ruined by crappy remake sequels. I never saw the new Day the Earth Stood Still, it didn't spark my interest.

But sometimes very old films are remade and are much better. King Kong (1933) for instance, IMO, sucked. The new one made in 2005, was excellent.

MT2008 07-15-2009 02:21 AM

Aside from the fact that this movie trashed my memory of the original, which I loved as a kid, I couldn't believe the audacity of this movie's radical environmentalism. I know Hollyweird's full of idiot leftists, but do these rich actors and directors, who live FAR more lavish lifestyles than any of us, really think the world would be a better place if all technology were shut down and destroyed? The ending was just so absurd that it was almost infuriating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 4650)
King Kong (1933) for instance, IMO, sucked. The new one made in 2005, was excellent.

Blasphemy!

Gunmaster45 07-15-2009 02:31 AM

I never liked the original King Kong. I understand how amazing it was for the time, but it didn't even have an end moral. Kong loved Anne, but Anne was scared out of her mind the whole time. Kong was a crazy, bloodthirsty ape who killed anyone in his way and it wasn't sad at all when Kong was shot from the empire state building. And Denham learned nothing from what he did wrong. He thought up the line "Twas beauty killed the beast" like it would make a good headline for a newspaper.

In the new Kong, Anne cares for Kong. Kong is sympathized. He's the last of his kind, he's alone, and misunderstood. He kills only those who try to hurt him (instead of killing anyone in the original) or Anne, and when Kong falls from the building at the end, it is very sad. Denham realizes what crime he has commited by ripping Kong from his environment and speaks the line with remorse and sadness. I liked the new King Kong far better. And the CGI was ground breaking. Oh, and Jack was kind of a dick in the original movie despite being the protaganist.

MT2008 07-15-2009 02:49 AM

Hmmm, looks like we're getting off-topic again. But whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 4655)
I never liked the original King Kong. I understand how amazing it was for the time, but it didn't even have an end moral. Kong loved Anne, but Anne was scared out of her mind the whole time. Kong was a crazy, bloodthirsty ape who killed anyone in his way and it wasn't sad at all when Kong was shot from the empire state building. And Denham learned nothing from what he did wrong. He thought up the line "Twas beauty killed the beast" like it would make a good headline for a newspaper.

In the new Kong, Anne cares for Kong. Kong is sympathized. He's the last of his kind, he's alone, and misunderstood. He kills only those who try to hurt him (instead of killing anyone in the original) or Anne, and when Kong falls from the building at the end, it is very sad. Denham realizes what crime he has commited by ripping Kong from his environment and speaks the line with remorse and sadness. I liked the new King Kong far better. And the CGI was ground breaking. Oh, and Jack was kind of a dick in the original movie despite being the protaganist.

The problem is, you have to evaluate the original with the era in mind. If you compare it to the present-day incarnation, then of course it seems inferior, but that doesn't make it intrinsically inferior. Which is not the same thing.

It's like...when you watch a movie where Ray Harryhausen did the special F/X, do you automatically deem it inferior to a modern-day flick simply because his stop-motion animation from the 1960s isn't as realistic as anything that ILM or Stan Winston could cook up?

Gunmaster45 07-15-2009 03:19 AM

The type of animation used isn't how I judge the movies. I was just saying I liked the animation in King Kong a lot. Both have ground breaking CGI for their times, but I like the new King Kong better because it told the Kong story better and was much better made.

Excalibur 07-15-2009 03:41 AM

I remember watching Transformer 2 and hating Micheal Bay even more. I counted so many continuity issues with the plot. Oh the guns and explosions and shots of the military were awesome, but everything else, plot, character development, the Transformers themselves...it pissed me off.

Another movie that made me hate was Punisher Warzone. I know they wanted to make this one more action pack, but because they took too long to make it, Thomas Jane, who was a good Punisher actor dropped off, they switched directors and the Punisher in the movie didn't even use any kind of 1911s which are his signature handguns.

Winchester 07-27-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 4662)
Another movie that made me hate was Punisher Warzone.

Yes. Very much so

Gunmaster45 07-27-2009 11:55 PM

I didn't even bother watching the new Punisher, I could see what it was going to be.

I felt kind of bad bashing it though because I'm pretty sure the director commented on our opinions on the discussion page, and she was very nice about it, despite how much we were tearing it up. :o