imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Evil Tim 04-03-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38510)
a bit were Snake Eyes is sparring with Jinx and the Blind Master is giving this info dump about how Jinx is the cousin of Storm Shadow who Snake Eyes doesn't trust because he killed the Hard Master

Wait, which Metal Gear game are we talking about here now?

commando552 04-03-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38512)
In the comics, Blind Master IS black, but I don't know where the Asian accent would come into play.

Both Jinx and the Blind Master are American, yet they both have these weird hard to pin down accents in the film. I can forgive Jinx what with Elodie Yung being French/Cambodian, but to me it just seemed like RZA felt he needed to Asian it up a bit because he was talking about ninja stuff.

Spartan198 04-03-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38513)
Wait, which Metal Gear game are we talking about here now?

Metal Gear JOE: Rock Bottom

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38515)
Both Jinx and the Blind Master are American, yet they both have these weird hard to pin down accents in the film. I can forgive Jinx what with Elodie Yung being French/Cambodian, but to me it just seemed like RZA felt he needed to Asian it up a bit because he was talking about ninja stuff.

My first inclination would've been to cast Jim Kelly (from Enter the Dragon and Black Belt Jones) as Blind Master. I think a kung-fu movie connoisseur like the RZA would understand.

Excalibur 04-03-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38508)
One of the reviews I read said that was a positive thing though, that it was a G.I. Joe film for G.I. Joe fans.

Fans of the old GI Joe shows are probably too old to appreciate this film

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38518)

Almost all of the ninja backstory comes from the comics, which has been running on and off since the early eighties. I don't recall Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes ever squaring off in the Sunbow series, and they never go into their backstories.

SPEMack618 04-03-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38518)

Don't say that....I loved the cartoons and the comics. :(

S&Wshooter 04-03-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38521)
Don't say that....I loved the cartoons and the comics. :(

Well now you can't go see the movie. If you wouldn't have said anything, everything would have been fine

SPEMack618 04-03-2013 10:54 PM

In one of the cartoons, a very dark one that I could have sworn was a Sunbow, Snake Eyes kills Storm Shadow, after it is revealed that they trained together under the same ninja master, who Storm Shadow murdered. Snake Eyes then kills Storm Shadow.

Bazooka was also killed in that cartoon.

Quite a change from the comics, where it took like three years before a Joe was killed off for real, and it was General Flagg, and it took atleast 14 issues before that story line was resolved.

Smith, how can you be so cruel and insentive? I already have to deal with Duke being portrayed by a male stripper.

S&Wshooter 04-03-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38525)
Smith, how can you be so cruel and insentive?

Dammit, someone's killed SPEMack and replaced him with a double. One of y'all go get the axe