imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

StanTheMan 06-25-2018 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44398)
Got Mount & Blade: Warband, and most of the expansions, today along with Max Payne 3, GTA IV, Dishonored, and the 2nd Call of Juarez. Have a pretty good stash of "I have nothing to play" games now

Burned through Max Payne 3 a few months back, my sis bought it major markdown from GameStop for me as a cheap birthday present. It ain't half-bad, actually kinda liked the tone of it and felt it was a good sequel, that said quite away from what the original two games were of course.

Otherwise, a lot of stuff on my wishlist I plan to get on this Steam sale myself since it's almost all now dirt cheap - This includes System Shock 2 which I haven't played any of in ages. Also a load of RTSs, including Civ5 which I was gonna get elsewhere but since it's now 75 points off on Steam, well there ya go.

Civ6 on the hand is absolute no-go just because of the admitted spyware and whoring of personal info right in their EULA. That and I gather it's not a real big improvement from 5 anyway.

As for movies, I'm as tired of rehashed remaked reboot-in-ass stuff as anyone, but I gotta say new Halloween's looking pretty awesome.

S&Wshooter 06-29-2018 06:38 AM

Picked up Tannenberg, had to return GTA IV because it wouldn't run

Spartan198 06-29-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 44402)
As for movies, I'm as tired of rehashed remaked reboot-in-ass stuff as anyone, but I gotta say new Halloween's looking pretty awesome.

It's not a remake or reboot, rather a direct sequel to the original Halloween and Halloween II that disregards everything H3 and beyond.

Evil Tim 06-30-2018 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 44402)
Burned through Max Payne 3 a few months back, my sis bought it major markdown from GameStop for me as a cheap birthday present. It ain't half-bad, actually kinda liked the tone of it and felt it was a good sequel, that said quite away from what the original two games were of course.

The problem comes when you try playing it again and realise just how often the gameplay is interrupted with enormous loading pauses with cutscenes pasted over them. You'd be amazed the percentage of cutscenes you can't skip because the game hasn't loaded yet.

S&Wshooter 07-02-2018 12:13 AM

Tannenberg wouldn't even get past the damn title screen, yet Verdun runs 100%?

Swordfish941 07-08-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44409)
It's not a remake or reboot, rather a direct sequel to the original Halloween and Halloween II that disregards everything H3 and beyond.

Actually, it's a follow up to the very original Halloween. It ignores the events of Halloween II. But on the plus side, that means it gets rid of the stupid "Michael and Laurie siblings" twist from Halloween II (which, in my opinion, has been the albatross hanging across the franchises' neck).

Spartan198 07-08-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 44414)
Actually, it's a follow up to the very original Halloween. It ignores the events of Halloween II. But on the plus side, that means it gets rid of the stupid "Michael and Laurie siblings" twist from Halloween II (which, in my opinion, has been the albatross hanging across the franchises' neck).

Danny McBride stated in an interview that it follows on from Halloween II.

Spartan198 07-12-2018 07:16 AM

Looks like the RoboCop reboot is getting a sequel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...D=ansmsnnews11

Excalibur 07-17-2018 12:14 PM

And here I thought it's a sequel to the original...

Spartan198 07-18-2018 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44429)
And here I thought it's a sequel to the original...

The script originally was, but it's apparently being rewritten as a sequel to the remake. At least, that's how I understood it.

StanTheMan 07-18-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44409)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 44414)

Well sequels can be reboots if the franchise hasn't had anything going in a while one way or another - A remake can be a reboot but a reboot is not always a remake.

That said, I agree about that whole sibling thing being a problem for the franchise myself, but I understand it follows of 'that night' which would mean both the first and second films.

As for sequels being reboots, and being a Robo-head that of course leads us to the new RoboCop coming out -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44426)
Looks like the RoboCop reboot is getting a sequel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...D=ansmsnnews11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44432)
The script originally was, but it's apparently being rewritten as a sequel to the remake. At least, that's how I understood it.

You're understanding wrong. To be fair that's a pretty shitty article. Anyway it is meant to be a continuation of the first film only. This has been stated by Blomkamp and Neumeier and Miner themselves. No consideration of the original sequels, or shows, certainly not that remake. Which though I may not 100% agree on ignoring the rest of the original trilogy must concede that's probably the best way to go, especially given the lackluster at best response to the remake and the fact the new film will follow the original sequel script draft written by Neumeier and Miner, 'Corporate Wars', enough to involve Robo being transplanted into a a world 25 or 30 years forward. (A reworked and kiddified off-shoot of much of the Corporate Wars story was used for the two-part pilot of the '94 TV Series.)

It's been in the works for a few months since Ed Neumeier let slip he and Michael Miner have been doing some writing, but now it's blown up with confirmation of Neill Blomkamp as director, news I'm personally psyched about because District 9 and to a partial extent Chappie were more-or-less RoboCop reboots in spirit. D9 especially I still think is the about absolute perfect template for a Robo reboot. The new Robo film feels even remotely close to that in tone and atmosphere that's job half done right there.

That plus the fact Neill is a big fan and really gives it to whatever project he's doing, as well as the addition of the original writers, gives me some hope that this might actually be something worth a shit in terms of RoboCop.

All-told, again, great news for Robo heads like me. Bummer it means Neill's gonna be off the new Alien, but still - I can't feel too bad about that. Though this before we get into casting and effects and whatnot - It is a live film (I had long thought this new one would be animated along the new Starship Troopers route) so that will have hurdles. I guess we'll see of course.

Spartan198 07-24-2018 02:00 PM

Ubisoft--finally--added an HK416 to Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I'm so happy I could cry. But crying's for pussies, so I won't.

Excalibur 07-26-2018 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44437)
Ubisoft--finally--added an HK416 to Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I'm so happy I could cry. But crying's for pussies, so I won't.

Still no Glock though

Spartan198 07-26-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44438)
Still no Glock though

Yeah, but I'm still counting the 416 as a win. Even if there's no 11" barrel option included for it, despite the dozens upon dozens of requests for a 10" M4 barrel that have been posted on the official forums. *grinds teeth*

Spartan198 07-30-2018 01:19 PM

Ubisoft added a short barrel for the HK416. :D

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...30-1-27-10.png

Update's not out on PS4 yet, though. D:

Excalibur 07-31-2018 04:02 AM

Should we do this fan made Jurassic World movie? It's very professionally done with some cameos of Travis Haley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XpNBMOZp5Y

funkychinaman 07-31-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44443)
Should we do this fan made Jurassic World movie? It's very professionally done with some cameos of Travis Haley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XpNBMOZp5Y

No fan films permitted.

funkychinaman 07-31-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 44444)
No fan films permitted.

No short films either.

Spartan198 07-31-2018 08:20 PM

If anything, one could cap it and put it on the Fallen Kingdom talk page, like we've done the CoD live-action commercials.

Excalibur 08-02-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44446)
If anything, one could cap it and put it on the Fallen Kingdom talk page, like we've done the CoD live-action commercials.

But technically those commercials were official stuff

This fan movie has an IMDB page

funkychinaman 08-02-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44447)
But technically those commercials were official stuff

This fan movie has an IMDB page

There are few restrictions on what you can put on a talk page.

funkychinaman 08-14-2018 08:08 PM

I don't know how you expect to do a Star Trek movie without Kirk. If they're going to recast, they might as well blow it all up and recast Chekov as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s-fall-1133802

S&Wshooter 08-15-2018 01:05 AM

Insurgency is free on steam right now. I played the Sandstorm beta, was super fun even though a lot of features hadn't been implemented; was actually mad when I tried to play it yesterday and the beta had closed

Spartan198 09-14-2018 04:59 AM

Saw an advance showing of The Predator. I liked it. It didn't go overboard with dialogue references to previous films like Predators did and it also cemented that Predator 2 is still officially canon (there were some claims that Predators intentionally ignored it) by directly mentioning its events, the character of Sean Keyes (Peter Keyes' son, played by Busy's real life son Jake), and showing a CCTV picture of the City Hunter climbing a building.

Without going into any spoiler-y specifics, the ending felt like it was almost certainly building up to a Dutch cameo, but it wasn't to be.

In all, I'm happy with the franchise in Shane Black's hands.

Swordfish941 09-15-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44480)
Saw an advance showing of The Predator. I liked it. It didn't go overboard with dialogue references to previous films like Predators did and it also cemented that Predator 2 is still officially canon (there were some claims that Predators intentionally ignored it) by directly mentioning its events, the character of Sean Keyes (Peter Keyes' son, played by Busy's real life son Jake), and showing a CCTV picture of the City Hunter climbing a building.

Without going into any spoiler-y specifics, the ending felt like it was almost certainly building up to a Dutch cameo, but it wasn't to be.

In all, I'm happy with the franchise in Shane Black's hands.

I really liked it as well. I had a really damn fun time watching it, and I could honestly watch an entire movie about Keegan Michael Key and Thomas Jane's characters. And the movie had one of the best sequel hooks I've seen in a movie.

Spartan198 12-16-2018 01:29 PM

Just found out History canned Six. Another unresolved cliffhanger. :(

Excalibur 12-19-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44500)
Just found out History canned Six. Another unresolved cliffhanger. :(

Dude, that was like months ago

funkychinaman 12-20-2018 08:03 PM

Trailer for new Hellboy movie out. New take = new Samaritan.

https://youtu.be/dt5g5_1cKVk

Wow, it's been a long time since I've heard "Mony Mony". I forgot how much I liked that song.

funkychinaman 12-20-2018 09:31 PM

I'll take "Sequels no one asked for" for $400 please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXzEhXujxA

Spartan198 12-22-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 44506)
I'll take "Sequels no one asked for" for $400 please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXzEhXujxA

At least it's not a Wrath of the Titans sequel.

funkychinaman 01-13-2019 03:31 AM

I can only hope Eddie Murphy gets out of this family movie rut he's in and makes the sequel as profane as the original.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/coming-...me-1202533726/

funkychinaman 01-14-2019 09:24 PM

It's a "Sequels No One Asked For" two-fer!

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/will-smith...to-bad-boys-3/

Do these guys think, "hey, it's been thirty years, no one can possibly remember how bad Beverly Hills Cop 3 was!"

Excalibur 01-16-2019 03:42 PM

On the plus side, new Spiderman Far From Home trailer

funkychinaman 01-17-2019 05:36 PM

Hey, new Ghostbus- holy crap, John Wick 3!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7p2uC7E5Rs

Excalibur 01-17-2019 08:27 PM

Called it on the MPX

Colin Noir already tried out an STI that is John's in the movie

Spartan198 01-20-2019 05:00 PM

Just saw the Sicario sequel. I have to call BS on Alejandro taking a bullet to the head and still being able to drive a car.

Mandolin 01-21-2019 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44521)
Just saw the Sicario sequel. I have to call BS on Alejandro taking a bullet to the head and still being able to drive a car.

Didn't it go though his mouth?

Spartan198 01-21-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 44522)
Didn't it go though his mouth?

I don't think so, but he was generally pretty bloody all over, so I suppose it's possible.

Excalibur 01-21-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44523)
I don't think so, but he was generally pretty bloody all over, so I suppose it's possible.

I watched the scene again. It went straight through his cheek and out through his mouth I think. You can see the entry wound when he looks at a rear view mirror of an SUV at the end of the movie

StanTheMan 01-22-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44521)
I have to call BS on Alejandro taking a bullet to the head and still being able to drive a car.

My bro-in-law's uncle - a Marine runner in Korea - got shot right between the eyes. He fell down and knew he got hit but aside from a pain in his right eye he just got back up and went back to running his message. Though he fainted when he stopped at the post and realized his face was half covered in blood. That said he still survived and lived up til a few years back (though ended up losing sight in the right eye).

So hey, between that, and after talking with nurses and ER docs apparently stranger shit than that has happened so its certainly not impossible. Though I would concede it's quite unlikely. But that's why its a movie. :cool:

Anyway, yes new Wick looks good. As for GB3, well if nothing else that is how you do a trailer. I still have a bit more hope that though, what with Ivan's kid handling it.

Need to get to watching Punisher. Ehh guess part of me isn't wanting to in case it really is over. Bah.