imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Army reveals that the XM25 has been in combat already (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1379)

MT2008 11-29-2010 05:03 AM

Army reveals that the XM25 has been in combat already

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...an/?test=faces

Hmmm, this really surprises me. After all the years of hearing about "awesome" new weapons systems (G11, OICW, XM8, etc.), I've become numb to caring about them. I tend to expect that they won't turn out to be as cost-effective or necessary as the contractor hypes them to be, and that they'll die long before they reach the field.

But if the XM25 has actually been used in combat in Afghanistan, already...wow. It'll be interesting to see whether it proves effective. If so, it means that the OICW program wasn't a complete waste.

EDIT: OK, I exaggerate somewhat...they haven't said specifically that soldiers have been using XM25s to kill Taliban yet, just that the weapons have been issued to combat units on deployment.

S&Wshooter 11-29-2010 12:13 PM

I want one

Ionatan 11-29-2010 04:25 PM

That looks like a bit of an improvement over the original OICW prototypes, but I still think the weapon, while sporting impressive capabilities, seems a bit unwieldy to me. Personally, I wouldn't want to haul that in the field.

k9870 11-29-2010 04:33 PM

I think its more a weapon theyd carry in their vehicle and deploy if needed, not just haul around all day.

Nyles 11-29-2010 05:33 PM

I wouldn't want to carry it around either, but it's really not any heavier than an LMG and a pretty significant advantage if it really does what it says on the box.

MT2008 11-29-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 22643)
I think its more a weapon theyd carry in their vehicle and deploy if needed, not just haul around all day.

It's apparently being used by SF units. How often do SF use vehicles? Those guys do 12-mile runs with over 100 pounds of gear just to pass selection. So I imagine they'd have to lug around their XM25s. Though I would also guess that they'd give them to guys at the remote outposts overlooking hostile territory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 22645)
I wouldn't want to carry it around either, but it's really not any heavier than an LMG and a pretty significant advantage if it really does what it says on the box.

...which is what remains to be seen. And being skeptical of the manufacturer's claims is always a healthy mindset.

But the fact that the Army has enough confidence to start putting XM25s in the field is significant. That's a lot farther than the OICW and XM8 ever got. Also, they're already talking about issuing them to regular infantry and Airborne units, not just SF, in the next year (though we can't be sure they're serious yet).

Ionatan 11-29-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 22645)

I was referring less to its weight and more to its ergonomics. It may weigh the same (or is only slightly heavier) than an M249, but, to me, it looks about as comfortable to shoot as a rifle mounted inside a suitcase. Granted, I could be wrong. I've never held it and likely never will. I'm just saying it looks like an impressive... but awkward... weapon. :p

Excalibur 11-29-2010 07:57 PM

Would be awesome if they can miniaturize this thing into near the size of an M203 so it can be mounted on a rifle, because a man who gets to hold the XM-25 might not be able to carry a rifle.

MT2008 11-29-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 22653)
Would be awesome if they can miniaturize this thing into near the size of an M203 so it can be mounted on a rifle, because a man who gets to hold the XM-25 might not be able to carry a rifle.

Sadly, that's not on the horizon anytime soon. The OICW already failed to do this, but even a decade later, the tech isn't compact enough yet.

My big problems are these:

(1.) The XM25 is technically complex, which means more difficult to maintain in the field (most likely).

(2.) It's still friggin' expensive ($35K per unit). Even with the reduced costs of placing a bulk order, there's no way the Army is going to be able to issue these to every combat unit in Afghanistan.

Excalibur 11-29-2010 08:24 PM

If the technology in this thing can withstand being shook around, bang around and near explosions.