imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

k9870 02-26-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38125)
Olympus Has Fallen looks like it might be pretty good.

yeah, ill probably see it.

Excalibur 02-26-2013 11:46 PM

Watching the trailer again, he pointed out how fake the AC130 looks and not even CGI fake, like too shiny kind of fake, even the truck slamming through the White House fence and the Blackhawks at the end. Mixed in with real life images, this movie almost feels straight to DVD of another movie

funkychinaman 02-26-2013 11:48 PM

http://kotaku.com/5987035/assassins-...to-this-poster

I guess that would work.

Excalibur 02-26-2013 11:56 PM

I do like the idea of the movie "Emperor". Not everyone knows about the history of the occupation of Japan.


And Assassins' Creed Black Flag...pirates could work. If they take the sea combat of AC3 and put that in this game...I'd buy it, but I was fooled before with AC3's ending

SPEMack618 02-27-2013 01:05 AM

Same here. I'm not the biggest fan of Dugout Doug, but I think his handling of the occupation of Japan was the one thing he did that led up to his his own self-promotion.

SPEMack618 03-01-2013 01:39 AM

Pops, me, and my sister all watched "End of Watch" last night.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite the whole, Glock 19/23 thing.

Best part was the Shift Sgt yelling "fuck you" before giving the female gang banger a blast from his 870. Good stuff.

Excalibur 03-01-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38167)
Pops, me, and my sister all watched "End of Watch" last night.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite the whole, Glock 19/23 thing.

Best part was the Shift Sgt yelling "fuck you" before giving the female gang banger a blast from his 870. Good stuff.

I remember watching it in theaters with a cop buddy of mine who is also a Marine. He got some chills but liked it

SPEMack618 03-01-2013 02:57 AM

I could see that. Heck, the part where they are searching for the boot and talking as they search brought back some less than pleasent memories of the A-Stan.

I would take that as a sign of good film making.

Swordfish941 03-04-2013 03:31 PM

I've started watching <i>Bleach</i> (I'm on episode 20 as of now), and I have to say its pretty good. And I'm possibly the only person who doesn't find Orihime annoying.

Excalibur 03-04-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 38197)
I've started watching <i>Bleach</i> (I'm on episode 20 as of now), and I have to say its pretty good. And I'm possibly the only person who doesn't find Orihime annoying.

Don't let the Bount arc discourage you.

Swordfish941 03-04-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38198)
Don't let the Bount arc discourage you.

I'm planning on skipping the Bount Arc. I hear things get good when the Espada and Arrancar are introduced.

Excalibur 03-05-2013 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 38200)
I'm planning on skipping the Bount Arc. I hear things get good when the Espada and Arrancar are introduced.

Yeah, you might as well skip the bount story arc and go back to it when you have free time. My favorite filler arc is the Rouge Zanpakuto arc

Swordfish941 03-05-2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38201)
Yeah, you might as well skip the bount story arc and go back to it when you have free time. My favorite filler arc is the Rouge Zanpakuto arc

And I thought filler arcs/episodes were a bad thing.

And my favorite character has to be Kisuke Urahara. He's frickin' awesome.

Excalibur 03-05-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 38202)
And I thought filler arcs/episodes were a bad thing.

And my favorite character has to be Kisuke Urahara. He's frickin' awesome.

Ah yes, Urahara. I call him Bettlejuice on account of his hat and his personality. Kenpachi, I associated him with Kenny from Southpark because he keeps "dying" and coming back. Mayuri I call him Carnivale. Ukitake is Sephiroth. Kyouraku is Straw hat.


Not all filler arcs are bad. Some of them are damn entertaining

funkychinaman 03-07-2013 01:43 AM

It just occurred to me, between the new Red Dawn and Olympus Has Fallen, Hollywood has done a better job of playing up North Korean military capabilities than the North Korean Propaganda Ministry ever could.

SPEMack618 03-07-2013 01:46 AM

Could that be why they are threatening to renig on the cease fire, like, next week?

funkychinaman 03-07-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38226)
Could that be why they are threatening to renig on the cease fire, like, next week?

Maybe it's a super elaborate way to promote this week's release of Red Dawn on home video?

SPEMack618 03-07-2013 01:53 AM

And maybe the production company is funneling money to the NKs to rattle the saber.

Wow, from right wing nutjob to left wing nutjob, just like that.

Excalibur 03-07-2013 02:36 AM

So I've just played Tomb Raider, the newest one. It's actually pretty fun.

Spartan198 03-08-2013 06:06 PM

I've had $24-something just sitting in my PSN account for the past two months and couldn't find anything I really wanted bad enough to use it on, so I decided to just renew my PS Plus and get Spec Ops: The Line for free.

funkychinaman 03-08-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38253)
I've had $24-something just sitting in my PSN account for the past two months and couldn't find anything I really wanted bad enough to use it on, so I decided to just renew my PS Plus and get Spec Ops: The Line for free.

I bought that from Gamefly a few weeks ago. I haven't played it yet though.

Spartan198 03-08-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38254)
I bought that from Gamefly a few weeks ago. I haven't played it yet though.

I played the demo a while back. It wasn't exactly groundbreaking and, as with almost all shooter sequels in this post-CoD gaming world, eschews the history of its franchise in order to be another CoD-inspired multi-player centric arcade shooter, but the SP had an interesting setting and plot and the gun selection and gunplay was good enough to be fun. I just never got it because I had other games higher up on my list. I saw it was being offered for free for PS Plus subscribers and I had been meaning to renew my PS Plus, so I figured "what the hell".

funkychinaman 03-12-2013 02:52 PM

I didn't think you COULD do a Trainspotting sequel.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/danny...o-train,93534/

Swordfish941 03-12-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38282)
I didn't think you COULD do a Trainspotting sequel.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/danny...o-train,93534/

I fucking loved Trainspotting. I just hope the sequel isn't a disappointment.

And Irvine Welsh did wrote a follow-up to Trainspotting:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porno_(novel)

Swordfish941 03-13-2013 02:42 AM

I've been watching Dragonball Z Abridged, and I have to say that it's fucking hilarious. Are they still making it?

Excalibur 03-13-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 38295)
I've been watching Dragonball Z Abridged, and I have to say that it's fucking hilarious. Are they still making it?

They are slowly making more. When you are caught up, watch their Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.

Swordfish941 03-13-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38296)
They are slowly making more. When you are caught up, watch their Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.

Good. I want to see more of Ghost Nappa!

And I probably will.

Excalibur 03-14-2013 11:02 PM

I'm watching this anime that came out almost 10 years ago called Zipang.

It's about a single JSDF Aegis class Destroyer, the Mirai, that got sent back to 1942 in the Pacific and now openly affecting the timeline and changing history. It's a really interesting and intense story of how modern technology and ideals clash with WWII.

EDIT: Damn, within 2 minutes, the Mirai took out 30 Dauntless fighters with its main gun and missiles. In an early episode, they dodged 6 torpedoes from a sub and fired back an ASROC. These guys must have been shitting their pants. And one big finale was a single Tomahawk took out the USS Wasp carrier which is weird because JMSDF ships do not carry Tomahawk cruise missiles. The use of the Tomahawk cruise missile in the story suggests that in the near-future universe of JDS Zipang, Japan had changed its policy on offensive weapons, or it takes place in an alternate universe where Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution never existed...or the write fucked up.

SPEMack618 03-14-2013 11:42 PM

There was a book similar to that in which a combined JSDF/USN carrier/amphib task force gets sucked back in time to Midway.

funkychinaman 03-15-2013 03:23 AM

And wasn't that sort of the entire premise of The Final Countdown?

Excalibur 03-15-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38322)
And wasn't that sort of the entire premise of The Final Countdown?

Except the ship that went back into the pass did absolutely NOTHING...making the entire time travel entirely pointless. Except for one crewman getting stuck and really have zero impact in history other than ending up extremely rich in the present.

In Zipang, the presence of the destroy has drastically alter specific events of history, especially the use of modern tech against WWII fighters and ships extensively.

EDIT: Here's a scene from the anime where the Mirai engages 40 fighters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9G-zfvlOQk

EDIT: This scene, the Mirai fires a Tomahawk at the USS Wasp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzKPYawEAc

Spartan198 03-16-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38321)
There was a book similar to that in which a combined JSDF/USN carrier/amphib task force gets sucked back in time to Midway.

The Axis of Time trilogy by John Birmingham.

SPEMack618 03-16-2013 01:22 AM

Yeah, I couldn't get past the first part of the first book with the USS Hillary Clinton.

Excalibur 03-16-2013 04:03 AM

I've read bits of that series. I think it's a bit overdone with the period racism. Yes, it exists back then, but something about how the future views the past is a bit off putting at times.

A favorite part was how the future Marines schooled the 1940s with modern martial arts.

Spartan198 03-17-2013 01:12 PM

Dammit, if they don't hurry up and get that film adaption of The Boys moving, Simon Pegg is going to be too old for the lead role. :mad:

Swordfish941 03-17-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38343)
Dammit, if they don't hurry up and get that film adaption of The Boys moving, Simon Pegg is going to be too old for the lead role. :mad:

That comic is fucked. I have a feeling that the more graphic stuff from it will be toned down a bit.

BTW, either Gerard Butler or Ray Stevenson for Billy Butcher.

Spartan198 03-17-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 38347)
I have a feeling that the more graphic stuff from it will be toned down a bit.

Yeah, but the superhero genre needs some big screen criticism, which is what The Boys can deliver. The message that the graphic elements of the books convey could be better received if implied rather than shown. After all, Alien was much scarier before the Xenomorph was revealed than after.

Quote:

BTW, either Gerard Butler or Ray Stevenson for Billy Butcher.
I'd say Stevenson. Butler played a great villain protagonist in Law Abiding Citizen, but he seems a bit too methodical for Butcher. Though Kevin McKidd could pull it off, if one could get past him being Scottish instead of English.

Michael Jai White for Mother's Milk, though. He even looks like the character.

Swordfish941 03-17-2013 10:59 PM

I've just started playing Borderlands 2, and it's pretty awesome. Plus, Handsome Jack is an awesome villain.

funkychinaman 03-18-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38350)
I'd say Stevenson. Butler played a great villain protagonist in Law Abiding Citizen, but he seems a bit too methodical for Butcher. Though Kevin McKidd could pull it off, if one could get past him being Scottish instead of English.

You think Kevin McKidd is too Scottish? Gerard Butler is the reason why a whole generation of kids think that ancient Greeks all spoke with thick Scottish brogues. To me, he's one of the few Brits who can't pull off an American accent. (Sean Connery and Jason Statham being another two.)

commando552 03-18-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38376)
You think Kevin McKidd is too Scottish? Gerard Butler is the reason why a whole generation of kids think that ancient Greeks all spoke with thick Scottish brogues. To me, he's one of the few Brits who can't pull off an American accent. (Sean Connery and Jason Statham being another two.)

Which one do you think can do an American accent, Kevin McKidd or Gerard Butler? If you think Kevin McKidd, watch Jorneyman and you'll change your mind.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.