imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Internet article critical of IMFDB (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=784)

AdAstra2009 12-11-2009 09:06 PM

Internet article critical of IMFDB

Found this article essentially criticizing the criticisms in IMFDB.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news...ies.php?page=1

MT2008 12-11-2009 10:41 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it "criticism" nor do I think we should take it so seriously, but it is definitely not that funny compared to other stuff on SA. Except for the part where he implies we all must have Asperger's Syndrome; I'll admit I chuckled at that because I've had the same thought.

Anyway, most of the stuff he points out is that kind of stuff that Anonymous Users add later. For some reason, many of them insist on adding the comments about actors' stances that nobody cares about. Even if this guy hadn't poked fun at it, I would still say it's a good reason why this site ought to be registered users only.

Also, the part where he critiques the "2 Fast 2 Furious" page is simply not funny at all. And no, that's not my bias speaking (I did that page)...it just falls flat. Completely.

Alcatrazz 12-12-2009 12:56 AM

We better protect the pages he mentions. The goons will vandalize the fuck out of them.

MoviePropMaster2008 12-12-2009 01:02 AM

Ahem.......

This speaks directly to the snarky sarcastic comments I've been blasting for some time now. If we're going to point out a mistake, do it in a professional and educational manner.

You can LAUGH at the fact that a lot of folks out there think we're dicks.....

Or you can do something about it and not allow the stupid crap that appears all the time on IMFDB.:mad:

Excalibur 12-12-2009 03:45 AM

I'm reading this and is this writer trying to be funny or sarcastic? Cause I'm not laughing. I mean, this guy's nitpicking on our nitpicks. The point of IMFDB is to point out firearms and how they are used and presented in films and TV. I'm glad all this guy does is just films cause if he gets to the games and anime section, he'll have a hissy fit.

S&Wshooter 12-12-2009 03:58 AM

Maybe he will have an aneurysm :p

MoviePropMaster2008 12-12-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 9459)
I'm glad all this guy does is just films cause if he gets to the games and anime section, he'll have a hissy fit.

LOL! Absolutely right! :D

Spartan198 12-12-2009 05:05 AM

The guy ought to know that since we're identifying and describing guns used in films, we're gonna notice things like incorrect stances and what attachments are on an extra's pistol or long gun. It's not ridiculous, it's called an eye for detail and it's not something I'm gonna be ashamed of because of some anonymous Internet critic.

Also, the screencap from xXx of Gold Tooth with the AKM... even I'm dumbfounded as to what that means... :confused:

And what exactly would linking to a gun on eBay source anyway? That eBay allows gun sales? That eBay is a secretly militant organization arming its operatives? :confused:

Excalibur 12-12-2009 05:23 AM

Look, IMFDB is about IDing guns, not really voicing opinions on the films or shows we cap from. Ok, bad excuse, my Black Lagoon page has a lot of funny comments, but they are all very relative to the Anime.

I'm actually more surprise that there's a guy who had the time to waste on writing on the nitpicks. It's just annoying sometimes, but it does serve to remind us to keep trying to better the site of idiots and be more professional in our work

bunni 12-12-2009 06:19 AM

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, it is an SA piece after all, tongue firmly in cheek should be assumed. :)

I giggled a couple times - and all press is good press, traffic has ticked up today.

AdAstra2009 12-12-2009 06:49 AM

The "Mossbergs eat children" piece gave me a laugh.

Excalibur 12-12-2009 07:49 AM

yeah, that was funny

Spartan198 12-12-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 9472)
Ok, bad excuse, my Black Lagoon page has a lot of funny comments, but they are all very relative to the Anime.

Comments which I quite enjoy, BTW. :D

MT2008 12-12-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunni (Post 9478)
I wouldn't get too worked up about it, it is an SA piece after all, tongue firmly in cheek should be assumed. :)

I giggled a couple times - and all press is good press, traffic has ticked up today.

Oh, I agree completely that it's not worth getting excited about. But I do think some of the jokes fall a little flat.

Traffic's been increasing a lot lately. I remember when we were at 1 million viewers in March. Now, we're up to 3.5 million.

AdAstra2009 12-12-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 9483)
I remember when we were at 1 million viewers in March. Now, we're up to 3.5 million.

lol, we aren't a TV show.

Markost 12-12-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 9456)
We better protect the pages he mentions. The goons will vandalize the fuck out of them.

Get ready for a /b/tard flood... :mad:

Excalibur 12-12-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 9482)
Comments which I quite enjoy, BTW. :D

Why thanks, but I can't take all the credit for some of the comments.

Nyles 12-12-2009 06:34 PM

It's just the internet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Frankly sometimes I think we all (myself included) take ourselves just a little too seriously around here.

MT2008 12-12-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 9490)
lol, we aren't a TV show.

I know, the only reason I point it out is that increased traffic means that we will want to present ourselves more professionally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 9494)
It's just the internet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Frankly sometimes I think we all (myself included) take ourselves just a little too seriously around here.

Agreed.

But I was just a tiny bit offended by the Asperger comment (even though I also laughed at it).

MoviePropMaster2008 12-12-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 9480)
The "Mossbergs eat children" piece gave me a laugh.

At first I didn't get that joke. I did that screencap for 'The Happening'. I was just pointing out what all that red viscera was on the doorframe and wall. Also, again, the blood splatter would NOT fly towards the shooter but away. But after a bit I kinda got it. I suppose I see the stuff too literally.

Spartan198 12-12-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 9497)
But I was just a tiny bit offended by the Asperger comment (even though I also laughed at it).

Yeah, that one seemed unnecessary to me, especially considering I do have Asperger's Syndrome.

But fortunately I learned a long time ago to just laugh things as such off. Like Nyles said, it's the Internet.

Excalibur 12-13-2009 01:30 AM

My buddy has Asperger's Syndrome, and I do kinda find that comment a bit offensive. I had a small chuckle at it, but I don't see how our work is remotely like a ADD kind thing

MT2008 12-13-2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 9509)
My buddy has Asperger's Syndrome, and I do kinda find that comment a bit offensive. I had a small chuckle at it, but I don't see how our work is remotely like a ADD kind thing

People with AS tend to be extremely obsessed with a particular subject, down to details that the average person wouldn't notice (or care about). We are certainly details-obsessed (many of us, self included), though that by itself doesn't mean a person has AS.

I don't think he meant it to be taken that seriously, anyway.

MoviePropMaster2008 12-13-2009 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 9512)
People with AS tend to be extremely obsessed with a particular subject, down to details that the average person wouldn't notice (or care about). We are certainly details-obsessed (many of us, self included), though that by itself doesn't mean a person has AS.

I don't think he meant it to be taken that seriously, anyway.

That bastard! I bet he thinks we all look like this!!!!!!
http://api.ning.com/files/blBMDNLnvb...onksweater.jpg

AdAstra2009 12-13-2009 04:16 AM

Something else, we need to be more vigilant about keeping discussion on the discussion page. I mean it looks unprofessional, especially when I find a screenshot of the website on the internet only to see there is some kind of casual dispute right in the middle.

from>
http://www.popscornweekly.com/2009/1...ase-imfdb-org/

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.p...qQ0M/imfdb.jpg

MT2008 12-13-2009 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 9520)
Something else, we need to be more vigilant about keeping discussion on the discussion page. I mean it looks unprofessional, especially when I find a screenshot of the website on the internet only to see there is some kind of casual dispute right in the middle.

I regret ever doing that. I used to do back when GM45 and I helped each other out on pages and we both knew the other would correct it as soon as he saw the comments, but it's become a trend on the site for other (anonymous) users. I agree we gotta keep it on the discussion page.

MoviePropMaster2008 12-13-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 9522)
I regret ever doing that. I used to do back when GM45 and I helped each other out on pages and we both knew the other would correct it as soon as he saw the comments, but it's become a trend on the site for other (anonymous) users. I agree we gotta keep it on the discussion page.

Excellent point! I will also not discuss on the actual pages, just on the discussion pages and also move all discussion over to the discussion pages when I see it. Actually I have been doing that, but I must also be more diligent. Thanks for that point. It sucks to have search engines capture us 'bickering' or just talking on movie page.

Gunmaster45 12-19-2009 11:18 PM

Wow, I guess I'm the asshole on here, since most of the works were mine he criticized. Oh well, I'm a stickler for every... little... detail. :p

As for the goldtooth guy with the AKM, I noted that the selector looked like it was on semi, but someone said it was actually on full-auto and explained how I was wrong in the caption. So it makes a very confusing description that explains what is actually obvious.