imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fn scar 16s (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1755)

Rockwolf66 06-01-2011 07:02 AM

Fn scar 16s

Today a friend of mine showed me his new toy, a FN SCAR 16S.

The Good: It shoulders comfortably and it handles well.

The Bad: Haven't had a chance to range test it yet.

The Ugly: It's finiky about what magazines you shove in the well. Several magazines that the Kel tech fits perfectly do not engage the magazine catch on the SCAR. This means that when you shove one of several types of magazines into the well( Orlite, Tapco, some sheetmetal magazines) they just drop out. This isn't good especially for a weapon that costs boocoup bucks like a SCAR.

Excalibur 06-01-2011 11:31 AM

Get some magpul P-Mags

k9870 06-01-2011 01:14 PM

Sturmwerghre had a video on how you have to modify pmags for a scar since they will damage the gun in stock form, he owns 2 of them. his shooting re view showed sub moa with standard ammo.

Reach 06-01-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 29752)
Sturmwerghre had a video on how you have to modify pmags for a scar since they will damage the gun in stock form, he owns 2 of them. his shooting re view showed sub moa with standard ammo.

i saw that, excellent.
yeah, that sucks that they only take what mags they want to. kind of puts an ugly blemish on a great expensive gun.

MT2008 06-01-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 29755)
i saw that, excellent.
yeah, that sucks that they only take what mags they want to. kind of puts an ugly blemish on a great expensive gun.

All I can say is...that's info that I'd be really glad to have before I dropped $2K+ on a new rifle.

Rockwolf66 06-01-2011 08:29 PM

You're telling me. It's not my rifle but it hurts to think that a rifle that is supost to have a STANAG magazine well does not take STANAG compatable magazines. Something is really wrong with that.

The reason my friend got the SCAR is the fact that he ordered a DPMD with all the trimmings and after six months of delays got a call telling him that he had another six months of waiting comming. So he cancled the order and bought the SCAR because the local gunshop had one in and it had the features that he wanted and then some.

Personally if I was him I would have sent the M1A in to the shop to get it turned into a MK14 clone.

Yournamehere 06-01-2011 08:56 PM

It's not unreasonable. Those mags were designed specifically for the M16 when they were invented, and then they became a NATO standard later on, and all a manufacturer has to do is get the size specs for the magazine well down and tune their proprietary (keep that in mind) bolt to not interfere with it. Magpul deviated from a standard STANAG magazine pattern too, so it's not going to be perfect for everything.

"Universal" almost never means "perfect". I'm glad that the problem is acknowledged by a guy like Stumgewehre, looked at objectively and fixed in a simple manner.

Rockwolf66 06-01-2011 11:13 PM

Does anyone have a link to Sturmgewer's webpage on the SCAR?

predator20 06-01-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 29769)
Does anyone have a link to Sturmgewer's webpage on the SCAR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIFuVd7-HFs

Rockwolf66 06-02-2011 03:08 AM

Thanks mate,

I also found the SCAR16S Disassembly video and hopefully I can figure out why some magazines will not catch in the weapon tomorrow.

predator20 06-02-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 29772)
Thanks mate,

I also found the SCAR16S Disassembly video and hopefully I can figure out why some magazines will not catch in the weapon tomorrow.

He's one of the better ones on YT. It will be a while, but I think he'll surpass Nutnancy. Or at least I hope he does.

Rockwolf66 06-02-2011 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 29773)
He's one of the better ones on YT. It will be a while, but I think he'll surpass Nutnancy. Or at least I hope he does.

Well it's amazing how many forum "Experts" end up looking and sounding like idiots once they are in front of a camera. I know some really smart and knowledgable people who sound stupid in front of a camera but in other cases I have to say that it's about time.

k9870 06-02-2011 01:37 PM

Sturm and nutn are 2 different types of reviewer and i like both. But i really do wish more people would watch sturm, he really knows his stuff.

Sturm is guns and tactical gear oriented, nutnfancy has more like knives, backpacking, etc. Nutnfancy also is more detailed, but very long winded, sturmwerghre is right to the point.

Yournamehere 06-02-2011 11:19 PM

Sturm seems more geared toward looking professional, if that's the word, whereas Nutn seems like a hobbyist that product tests a LOT, which is exactly what he is. But even if you don't like Nutnfancy's length and style of review, he's always commenting that what he says is his own opinion based on his experience, his data point as he says, and you can take what you can get or not. I think it's silly to not want to sit through a ~30 minute video to perhaps learn something about a gun knife or other item you would have otherwise not learned.

k9870 06-02-2011 11:33 PM

I happen to like nutnfancy's style, the lenght is just the most common criticism, honestly i like being able to kick back and watch a cool informative vid. Also, nutn is a hobbyist with many hobbies, so i like seeing camping and hiking gear, another hobby of mine.

predator20 06-03-2011 12:49 AM

I didn't think this would turn into a Sturm vs Nutn discussion. But I guess I was asking for it with my comment.

Nutn's biggest problem is he doesn't get to the point I don't think he knows how to. A 30 minute vid could be 15. From some that's not a problem or a big deal. He's got a lot of subs, so obviously some people can stand him. That whipping sound he does is hella gay also.

When Sturm does a review he goes over the features, his experience with it and his likes and dislikes. That's all you need. He most always goes over pricing too, one time Nutn was doing an AK review he didn't bother to learn or know the pricing because it was given to him.

k9870 06-03-2011 01:23 AM

Nutnfancys blade reviews are quite good, i like he actually goes and splits logs and delimbs trees. And he tests if a backpack holds up, by going on a multi day hike. He shares good experience for free.

Sturm's reviews seem to be getting better and better as he goes. I think once more people catch on hell get the attention he deserves as his info is solid.

I have an issue with naming prices because it varies by location/type of gun.

predator20 06-03-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 29793)
Nutnfancys blade reviews are quite good, i like he actually goes and splits logs and delimbs trees. And he tests if a backpack holds up, by going on a multi day hike. He shares good experience for free.

Sturm's reviews seem to be getting better and better as he goes. I think once more people catch on hell get the attention he deserves as his info is solid.

I have an issue with naming prices because it varies by location/type of gun.

I'm not that into knives so I never watch them.

While gun prices will vary from region to region, he tells you where he got it from, Atlantic Firearms etc. So the pricing is what it is.

Rockwolf66 06-03-2011 08:44 PM

Figured out why some of the magazines didn't fit. they were a fraction of an inch too tall and were hitting the bottom of the bolt carrier.

Rockwolf66 10-07-2011 01:48 AM

Well my friend with the SCAR-16S just got the 17S and a FiveseveN pistol. Hopefully I'll have a range report soon.

Plus does anyone know of a good Supressor capable flash supressor for the SCAR-16 and 17?

S&Wshooter 10-07-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 32662)
Well my friend with the SCAR-16S just got the 17S and a FiveseveN pistol. Hopefully I'll have a range report soon.

Plus does anyone know of a good Supressor capable flash supressor for the SCAR-16 and 17?

The Five-SeveN is unimpressive, IMHO. Accurate, but nothing special

Excalibur 10-07-2011 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 29821)
Figured out why some of the magazines didn't fit. they were a fraction of an inch too tall and were hitting the bottom of the bolt carrier.

I saw some youtube vids about how you can just shave off some of the edges so these other kinds of mags can fit like Magpul mags

Rockwolf66 10-08-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 32664)

The guy who owns the rifles served in Aden, Yemen, london and Northern Ireland. Having talked shop with him, he stresses hit placement over caliber. Thus a Five-seveN pistol with it's flat trajectory and as you put it accuracy fits his phylosophy and training.

FIVETWOSEVEN 10-08-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Here is the most informative thread I've seen about the FiveseveN. It's as good as 9mm if not better: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=611628

Excalibur 10-08-2011 11:13 PM

The FiveSeven is just an expensive gun to own. At first the 20 round mag and even 30 rounds does sound impressive but for a civilian, it's just too expensive to have. Any 9mm would do

FIVETWOSEVEN 10-09-2011 01:37 PM

True, I would love to get one someday though.

Excalibur 10-10-2011 02:59 AM

I would if I have the money, but I don;t

Rockwolf66 10-10-2011 11:42 AM

well I'm working graveyard currently so the range rteport will have to wait.

k9870 10-10-2011 01:53 PM

The 5-7 doesn't impress me either, my friend sold his once the cool factor wore off and got a glock 22 and had ectra money left over. Never got to shoot it myself but handled it. It was confortable in hand, but the safety sucked bad, it was awkward. Also, its pretty much a .22 mag at 5x the price of ammo. And the whole "shot placement over caliber" thing is done to death, shot placement with a bigger caliber beats it with a crappy one, and in a gunfight all you can do is go center of mass and hope to hit something vital, youre not going to pinpoint a round in the aorta. If youve got the money and need the cool factor and just like the gun, sure go ahead, but it isn't this awesome combat pistol people who play counterstrike think it is.

AdAstra2009 10-13-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 32664)

If your not going to use it for self-defense what more do you need???

k9870 10-14-2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 32728)
If your not going to use it for self-defense what more do you need???

cheaper ammo? Seems to be goin higher and higher by me.