imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Guns in games that don't exist (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1644)

Excalibur 03-02-2011 05:53 PM

Guns in games that don't exist

Having a problem again with another member of the site who ends up saying I am arrogant and other words that made me roll my eyes, I'd like to reestablish that I agree it is good to post about guns that appear in games, but not guns that don't exist. In Killzone 3, though it had a lot of well done realistic looking weapons, none of them are real. As with the Halo page and other game pages, we should not post them because it encourages other stupid pages to crop up and people who support it will call the mods who delete it "arrogant" and abusive of their mod powers, like some have accused me.

I'm writing this post out here to address this issue in public cause...it bothers me. Mods have a job to do here. Sometimes, I tend to argue about the rules to the people who I don't think understands. Yeah we got pages like Aliens vs Predators, which had a couple guns that aren't real. We have pages for some guns that aren't real like the Hellboy revolver.

MoviePropMaster2008 03-02-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 26457)
Having a problem again with another member of the site who ends up saying I am arrogant and other words that made me roll my eyes, I'd like to reestablish that I agree it is good to post about guns that appear in games, but not guns that don't exist. In Killzone 3, though it had a lot of well done realistic looking weapons, none of them are real. As with the Halo page and other game pages, we should not post them because it encourages other stupid pages to crop up and people who support it will call the mods who delete it "arrogant" and abusive of their mod powers, like some have accused me.

I'm writing this post out here to address this issue in public cause...it bothers me. Mods have a job to do here. Sometimes, I tend to argue about the rules to the people who I don't think understands. Yeah we got pages like Aliens vs Predators, which had a couple guns that aren't real. We have pages for some guns that aren't real like the Hellboy revolver.

Well first of all, we all know the RULES of Fictional firearms (to reiterate it I post it below):
IMFDB lists fictional firearms that appear in Movies, Television, Anime and (some) video games. They must comply with the following criteria:

* They can't be just talked about, they must appear on screen.
* If they are fictional weapons built upon a real firearm (as in Red Heat or Starship Troopers) For example, all of the blaster weapons (either rebel or Imperial) in the Star Wars films that are built on real gun platforms, qualify to be here on this list.
* If they are fictional / hypothetical weapons which may exist in real life (but so far does not).
* If the weapon (for any reason) would lead the general public to believe that it is a real firearms or based on one.
* Fantasy weapons which have no basis in real weapons technology do not belong here. So a Force Lance from "Andromeda" or a Klingon Disruptor from "Star Trek" or a Light Sabre from "Star Wars" do not qualify. No one would ever wonder if these weapons really exist today.
* They must have some obvious screentime. A small blip in the deep background of a mass army scene won't count.

The Problem with points THREE and FOUR is that the rules were written for MOVIES and TELEVISION, where the gun or fictional gun actually exists. Someone is holding that very gun in their hands, so obviously, the public might wonder if it is real or based on a real gun.

I agree with you that fictional weapons that only exist in the mind of some geek in a cubicle (aka an Anime Artist or a VG artist) don't qualify. The human imagination can concoct a myriad of different fantasy weapons, and frankly, the public won't wonder if some 'animated weapon' is real or not.

Seriously guys, only the most OCD/Asperger syndrome geek would sweat over what real world guns some weird franken gun hybrid is ... in a video game! most of the time, it's just sloppy artwork by a lazy artist who just created a hybrid for the hell of it. That's it.

Excalibur 03-02-2011 07:13 PM

Thank you...but it bothers me when something thinks as a mod/admin of the site, that they would call me arrogant. I'm just doing my job here and pointing out their bullshit. How's that arrogant and abusing of my mod powers and when have I ever abused my mod powers. I don't see any other mod or admin "abuse" their powers.

AdAstra2009 03-03-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

The Problem with points THREE and FOUR is that the rules were written for MOVIES and TELEVISION, where the gun or fictional gun actually exists. Someone is holding that very gun in their hands, so obviously, the public might wonder if it is real or based on a real gun.
I think that the rules need to be rewritten to clarify that. As it stands rules 3&4 are too open to interpretation.

Excalibur 03-03-2011 06:44 AM

Does any of the new guys actually READ the rules?

AdAstra2009 03-03-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 26494)
Does any of the new guys actually READ the rules?

Too bad we can't make it so that they have to read the rules before registering.
You know, like how you have to check off the Terms of Service when you install software (I know maybe bad example). At least then a violation can be punished with an instant suspension as we would assume that he had read the rules.

Excalibur 03-03-2011 04:13 PM

It would be nice if people read the rules sometime. I mean it isn't like the link to the rules and regs are in very small fonts at the bottom of the page...It's SO big, you can't ignore it when you go to the main page.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 03-03-2011 08:11 PM

My write-up about video game commentary hasn't been included in the official rules yet. MPM said he'd do it.

MoviePropMaster2008 03-04-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 26530)
My write-up about video game commentary hasn't been included in the official rules yet. MPM said he'd do it.

Write it first completely. I'm not going to re-write it for you. If it's complete then I'll cut and paste onto the rules.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 03-04-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 26555)
Write it first completely. I'm not going to re-write it for you. If it's complete then I'll cut and paste onto the rules.

I did that awhile ago.

http://forum.imfdb.org/showpost.php?p=25864&postcount=6