imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Randomness 3 (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1977)

MT2008 09-01-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 35956)
You are just now hearing about this?

First I heard about it was earlier this year, but I wasn't sure if we'd ever discussed it or not (and I've been on and off this site so much lately that I wouldn't know).

commando552 09-01-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 35955)
Wow, I can make a plastic zipgun and all I need is a ten thousand dollar 3D printer?

Their aim is to make it work on a RepRap, which is a hobby grade printer which you can make for less than $500. I wouldn't worry about it to much, am fairly sure it is a scam. I know i wouldn't give a group of guys (not an actual company, a self confessed random group of people) 20 grand in the hope that after they take the money and get themselves a nice 3D printer, they might make an all polymer printable gun, that might work, which they then might release the plans for. I guarantee that if they get the 20 grand they will never be heard from again.

Mandolin 09-01-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 35948)
For the whole week next week? Why?

I'm going next week, for a few days. See the Smithsonian museums, National Crime and Punishment Museum, stuff like that

Mandolin 09-01-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 35954)
Gun laws be damned:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...print-at-home/

Hmmm, I might be there around the same time (if I do go, though, it's going to be Thurs/Fri, most likely). I'm going up there for an interview - what are you going to be doing?

The 4th through the 9th. Air and Space Museum, National Archives, Museum of American history, National Crime and Punishment Museum.

MT2008 09-02-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 35962)
The 4th through the 9th. Air and Space Museum, National Archives, Museum of American history, National Crime and Punishment Museum.

Cool, I'll be there on the 7th and 8th. Already seen all of that stuff on previous trips, though. Go to the Spy Museum and the Newseum if you've never been. And while you're in that area, check out Ultrabar on Friday night. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 35959)
Their aim is to make it work on a RepRap, which is a hobby grade printer which you can make for less than $500. I wouldn't worry about it to much, am fairly sure it is a scam. I know i wouldn't give a group of guys (not an actual company, a self confessed random group of people) 20 grand in the hope that after they take the money and get themselves a nice 3D printer, they might make an all polymer printable gun, that might work, which they then might release the plans for. I guarantee that if they get the 20 grand they will never be heard from again.

Oh, I don't think anyone should be all that impressed by the technology now. I do think it's going to be interesting to see how much better 3D printing becomes in the future, and what this means for the gun industry.

Mandolin 09-02-2012 01:07 AM

I don't drink, but thanks for the tip:)

MT2008 09-02-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 35964)
I don't drink, but thanks for the tip:)

Dude, plenty of people at bars don't drink (even I don't drink much...usually). You go to a place like Ultrabar for the eye candy.

Evil Tim 09-02-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 35959)

It just strikes me (especially from the loons in the comments) that the advocates of this technology aren't aware that a cute little additive molding machine for making neat but useless plastic tat is still a few miles away from being a Star Trek replicator.

Spartan198 09-02-2012 10:33 AM

http://isthisfeminist.tumblr.com/

Okay, somebody clearly needs to get laid... :rolleyes:

Evil Tim 09-02-2012 10:36 AM

Um, I'm fairly sure that's supposed to be a parody.

Not a very good one, admittedly.

S&Wshooter 09-02-2012 10:34 PM

Lookit what I impulse bought because I saw it in the newspaper ads this morning while I was eating breakfast

http://www.smkw.com/large/knife/CM19091.jpg

Spartan198 09-02-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 35968)
Um, I'm fairly sure that's supposed to be a parody.

Not a very good one, admittedly.

I should hope so, because equating the thumbs up gesture with telling someone to "grow a penis" is quite sad.

Moving on back to the world of strange, I give you this Philippines-produced 80-round M16 magazine.

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog...gazine-tfb.jpg

Would that even function reliably? :confused:

On a side note, I think we need a "world of strange" thread in Just Guns for these kinds of things.

S&Wshooter 09-02-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 35970)
Moving on back to the world of strange, I give you this Philippines-produced 80-round M16 magazine.

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog...gazine-tfb.jpg

Would that even function reliably? :confused:

On a side note, I think we need a "world of strange" thread in Just Guns for these kinds of things.

I saw a curved 25 rounder that looked like a smaller version of that somewhere a while back

commando552 09-03-2012 09:00 AM

I seriously doubt that is an 80 rounder unless it is quad stack which it doesn't appear to be. Maybe a 40 or 50. The curve also looks way too severe, more like a 7.62x39mm mag.

Spartan198 09-03-2012 12:45 PM

Suggested before, but no, not a 7.62x39mm.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...in-philipines/

k9870 09-06-2012 06:58 PM

get my cwp on monday, chief here hands them out in person, i meet him then

SPEMack618 09-06-2012 09:05 PM

Cool. What's your everyday piece going to be?

k9870 09-07-2012 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 35997)
Cool. What's your everyday piece going to be?

i have a bodyguard 380 for the pocket when wearing lighter clothing but want a compact 9mm, maybe a M&P or g26. Gotta try a few out, its easy to find large guns i like small ones are tricky

Spartan198 09-09-2012 09:42 AM

Why do people not do any research and continually spread the myth that the original M16's problems were derived from the direct-impingement gas system when, in reality, it was the lack of a forward assist and chromed barrel in combination with out-of-spec powder that caused them? There's a reason that the vast majority of these jamming issues disappeared with the M16A1 and then the operating system took center stage. It's obviously no coincidence that this myth always pops up when someone is touting the AK's supposed superiority, a dick-measuring contest I prefer not to lower myself to. :rolleyes:

The M60 shared similar jamming issues when it was first developed, yet one would be hard pressed to find anyone that wouldn't express complete confidence in having an M60 cover their ass.

Rockwolf66 09-09-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 36027)
Why do people not do any research and continually spread the myth that the original M16's problems were derived from the direct-impingement gas system when, in reality, it was the lack of a forward assist and chromed barrel in combination with out-of-spec powder that caused them? There's a reason that the vast majority of these jamming issues disappeared with the M16A1 and then the operating system took center stage. It's obviously no coincidence that this myth always pops up when someone is touting the AK's supposed superiority, a dick-measuring contest I prefer not to lower myself to. :rolleyes:

The M60 shared similar jamming issues when it was first developed, yet one would be hard pressed to find anyone that wouldn't express complete confidence in having an M60 cover their ass.

Try the Merc turned firearms writer Peter G. Kokalis.

I also have an Australian buddy who had some bad experiances with the M60. the reason the one's in his unit had no reliability or accuracy was because his unit armorer was incompitent and reused parts that should have been 86ed. After he went to Jungle School and the instructors properly fided the guns they ran like champs.

k9870 09-09-2012 08:06 PM

the lack of a forward assist aint that bad, many trainsers move away from them and even state they have limited to no use. If a rounds not going in rack another in.

The m16's original problems were mostly peoples stupidity.

"its self cleaning, no need for cleaning kits."

yeah, right.

BTW anyone know of any other DI service rifles. Seems no toher countries have made one, and its all pistons. I think pistons rule, on weapons designed around a piston. An ar was not made to be a piston gun so keep it di.

Spartan198 09-09-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 36032)
the lack of a forward assist aint that bad, many trainsers move away from them and even state they have limited to no use. If a rounds not going in rack another in.

That's today, though, and the M16 today is a completely different animal.

Quote:

The m16's original problems were mostly peoples stupidity.

"its self cleaning, no need for cleaning kits."

yeah, right.
This was mistaken info based on the AR-10, which had a good reputation for ruggedness and reliability. It's an understandable error considering the mistaken assumption that the AR-15 was just a "downsized" AR-10. Direct-impingement was also used to good effect in a couple of WWII weapons, IIRC.

The Wierd It 09-09-2012 09:09 PM

It could just be that 5.56 isn't powerful enough to run a DI system properly if it's fouled.

SPEMack618 09-10-2012 12:16 AM

Kokalis? That guy still alive? I sorta stopped putting any stock into him when I read his little spill about the FAL.

That being said, th M-60 is a piece of junk. About the only thing it has over th -240B and G is weight, and even then that's kinda iffy.

In six years of using either an M-16A2, -A4, or M-4A1 I have never used the foward assist.

My only issue with the weapon system is bullet type. FMJ sucks more than Hoover.

MT2008 09-10-2012 05:41 PM

So I finally got my hands on "No Easy Day", and am reading it now. Mark Owen took a picture of his weapons which is included in the book. He used a suppressed HK416 D10RS with Magpul P-Mags and Magpul stock, an MP7 with a suppressor, and a sawed-off M79. All of his weapons were painted desert MARPAT camouflage, same as his fatigues. I had read previously that the DEVGRU operators who killed Bin Laden were mostly using H&K kit, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the weapons.

The Wierd It 09-10-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 36047)
So I finally got my hands on "No Easy Day", and am reading it now. Mark Owen took a picture of his weapons which is included in the book. He used a suppressed HK416 D10RS with Magpul P-Mags and Magpul stock, an MP7 with a suppressor, and a sawed-off M79. All of his weapons were painted desert MARPAT camouflage, same as his fatigues. I had read previously that the DEVGRU operators who killed Bin Laden were mostly using H&K kit, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the weapons.

Strictly speaking it's NWU-II camo, not MARPAT. It's close enough that the Marines complained and got it restricted to NSWC personnel only though.

Spartan198 09-10-2012 07:49 PM

I'm intending to get that book myself. Watched a 60 Minutes interview with him about the raid early this morning. Really insightful and finally good to hear it from the point of view of someone who was actually there.

How was that M79 sawed off? Barrel or stock?

commando552 09-10-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 36049)
How was that M79 sawed off? Barrel or stock?

Both, it also had a red dot sight. Here is another picture of his kit also showing the suppressed P226 and HK45C.

SPEMack618 09-11-2012 12:24 AM

The whole thing sorta leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like that guy should have waited before he wrote his book.

Spartan198 09-11-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 36052)
Both, it also had a red dot sight. Here is another picture of his kit also showing the suppressed P226 and HK45C.

That M79 = win. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 36058)
The whole thing sorta leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like that guy should have waited before he wrote his book.

Maybe. I think he wanted to get the shooters' story out due to Obama's heavy politicizing of the raid, though. Lady friend of mine has a friend in the SEALs and she's told me that they're none too happy about all the credit Mr. Yes-We-Can is taking for it.

MT2008 09-11-2012 01:13 AM

I'm now 100 pages into "No Easy Day". At one point, he describes his loadout: Apparently, he had two HK416s, one with a 10-inch barrel, the other with a 14-inch barrel (though the D10RS was the one he used most of the time). If y'all plan to swing by Barnes & Noble to glance at the book, the description of his weaponry is on pages 44-45.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 36058)

I agree, though I'm not sure it's going to reveal as much about DEVGRU/JSOC protocol, tactics or equipment as DoD seems to believe. From what I've heard (i.e. in this article), he doesn't even mention that the Black Hawks used in the raid were stealthy. (And obviously, the very existence of those choppers was the single biggest secret to be unintentionally de-classified by the Abbottabad raid.)

Spartan198 09-11-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 36061)
I agree, though I'm not sure it's going to reveal as much about DEVGRU/JSOC protocol, tactics or equipment as DoD seems to believe. From what I've heard (i.e. in this article), he doesn't even mention that the Black Hawks used in the raid were stealthy. (And obviously, the very existence of those choppers was the single biggest secret de-classified by the Abbottabad raid.)

He stated himself on 60 minutes that, "if you're looking for secrets, this book isn't for you", or something to that effect.

k9870 09-11-2012 07:58 PM

i like that the stories gotten out, admistrations story is full of holes. Apparently no easy day says they brought the body to a hangar in afghanistan and it was there a while from what i heard on other forums. Now we got this story of how he was just dumped in the ocean after no time at all

Spartan198 09-11-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 36073)
admistrations story is full of holes.

"Story", as in singular? They've given us 3 or 4 already. :rolleyes:

k9870 09-11-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 36074)
"Story", as in singular? They've given us 3 or 4 already. :rolleyes:

yep, stories not story. Im surprised obummer hasn't come out and claimed he kicked the door and took him hand to hand by now.

Today was an intersting day for me, found out i like glock 19s :eek: after having hated em in the past, i carried my gun for the first time, and me and some glock talk buddies all launched some trolling of democratic uderground and were all banned, riled em up though! that site layout sucks by the way how hard is it to organize a forum, i thought arfcom was badly laid out but even that was navigable.

SPEMack618 09-12-2012 01:06 AM

You guys will appreciate the fact that th only feeling I can think of to associate with this article is that of joy.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...comment-369268

S&Wshooter 09-12-2012 03:39 PM

I just got IT services to fix whatever was keeping me from using the computers on campus, so right now Using The Internet > Political Science

Spartan198 09-13-2012 05:16 AM

Picked up No Easy Day for a quick look today at Wal-Mart and was hooked after the first couple of pages. Had to buy it, even though I couldn't really afford it.

Evil Tim 09-13-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 36052)

So, betting that "Pirate Gun" is going to be in every FPS for the next five years?

k9870 09-13-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 36086)
So, betting that "Pirate Gun" is going to be in every FPS for the next five years?

Nope. Not enough rails.