imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dream 1911? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1413)

k9870 12-19-2010 02:46 PM

Dream 1911?

what would be yours, Im thinking next year of ordering this built on my 21st from springer's custom shop:

5'' 1911
NM rame with fitted slide
match barrel and bushing
polished feed ramp and fully throated barrel
beavertail grip safety
4.5 pound speed trigger, long aluminum 3 hole
25 lpi front strap checkering
flat mainspring housing
Fixed 3 dot tritium night sights, yellow rear green front
lowered and flared ejection port
Smith and Alexander Magwell
Cocobollo wood grips
Extended single side thumb safety
extended slde release and magazine release
tuned for reliability (defensive gun)
Black T finish, except hammer, trigger, barrel/bushing
carry bevel
match hammer and sear
no front cocking serrations, rear only.

Ive seen their work, its amazing, not overly expensive and carries a lifetime warranty with good service. Whats your dream 1911?

Excalibur 12-19-2010 03:41 PM

Mine would be Angelina Jolie's Safari Arms Matchmaster

k9870 12-19-2010 03:42 PM

I might add something you can get realistically, before anyone comes in saying " a mint condition singer."

predator20 12-19-2010 04:25 PM

Castor Troy's Springfield in Face/Off, but in matte hard chrome (brushed hard chrome would be okay too) no front slide serrations. Other than that no changes.

My Springfield Loaded has a lot of what I like. But I don't really care for the front slide serrations. The safety needs to be beveled bad, it's squared off and gets uncomfortable after a while.

I write up a list like you got k9870 later.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 12-19-2010 06:45 PM

How cool would it be to have a selector switch with a 2 round burst.

S&Wshooter 12-19-2010 07:00 PM

S&W1911PD with all the bells and whistles, some CT laser grips, and a ton of Wilson Combat mags

Jcordell 12-19-2010 11:28 PM

A Pre-war commercial 1911A1 with a nickel finish and pearl grips.

k9870 12-20-2010 01:02 AM

earlier i saw:

saw a colt mk 4 commander 2 tone, with arched backstrap and short trigger. But in front of that short trigger, was another trigger, like the standard trigger you find on a sig/beretta/cz or such. So it had two triggers, one of them one that does not belong on a 1911 type auto. Im wondering why anyone would do this, and how it would work on a 1911 anyway?

Almost puked, wtf is this thing, wish i had my camera.

predator20 12-20-2010 01:20 AM

Took your list and modified it.

Pre-series 70 (Post War) Colt Government Model
Tightened slide to frame
Bar-Sto barrel (a semi-drop would be fine for me)
polished feed ramp and fully throated barrel
4 pound trigger, med. solid
30 lpi front strap checkering
flat mainspring housing
Heine SlantPro Straight Eight sights
lowered and flared ejection port
Checkered Buffalo Horn grips
factory thumb safety
factory slide release, same with mag release
tuned for reliability (defensive gun)
Blued finish, matte rounds, except for trigger and hammer
carry bevel
match hammer and sear
beavertail grip safety (I could either way with them) I don't get hammer bite with the standard grip safety but a higher hold is always better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkman (Post 23319)
A Pre-war commercial 1911A1 with a nickel finish and pearl grips.

One of those would be nice, but ivory grips. I don't plan on living in New Orleans.

Zulu Two Six 12-20-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 23324)
earlier i saw:

saw a colt mk 4 commander 2 tone, with arched backstrap and short trigger. But in front of that short trigger, was another trigger, like the standard trigger you find on a sig/beretta/cz or such. So it had two triggers, one of them one that does not belong on a 1911 type auto. Im wondering why anyone would do this, and how it would work on a 1911 anyway?

Almost puked, wtf is this thing, wish i had my camera.

ODI viking?

k9870 12-20-2010 01:28 AM

Yep, looks like it, whats the point of it?

same trigger, but this was a converted colt.

k9870 12-20-2010 02:34 AM

A second custom, too bad nobody really makes a true commander anymore.

Commander slide fitted to frame.All steel.
conventional bushinged barrel desighn
match barrel and bushing.
Heine slant pro trititum 2 dot night sights.
4.5 pound three holse long aluminum trigger.
Slimline wood grips
Black T finish
beavertail grip safety.
Extended single side safety
extended slide release and magazine release.
Polished and throated feed ramp/barrel
25 lpi front strap checkering
no front cocking serrations and no billboarded company names.
beveled (but not extended) magwell
tuned for total reliability.

predator20 12-20-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 23329)
too bad nobody really makes a true commander anymore.

What do you mean?

k9870 12-20-2010 03:25 AM

a 4.25 inch barrel with bushing, everybody makes 4 inch bull barrels now.

predator20 12-20-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 23334)
a 4.25 inch barrel with bushing, everybody makes 4 inch bull barrels now.

Ah okay. Colt and S&W still do theirs with the 4.25 inch barrel with bushing. A few high end custom makers still do it. I think once you get shorter than 4.25, it has to have a bull barrel. I don't really like the look of the 4" Commander, 4.25 all the way.

Excalibur 12-20-2010 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 23309)
I might add something you can get realistically, before anyone comes in saying " a mint condition singer."

When you mean "Dream 1911" I assume you mean the most expensive piece of hardware and to me, it has to be engraved, extended slide release, compensator, extended mag, front cocking serrations and adjustable sights.

Krel 12-20-2010 06:05 AM

A relaunch of the Randall, left-hand models.

David.

k9870 12-20-2010 12:57 PM

I will never buy a colt, overrtaed company that your paying for the name, and they lack features. Most have a small safety, basic sights and no checkering. Smith and wesson has a lot of scandium commander, i want all steel, and with nightsights, good checkering, tuned trigger, smith triggers are genrally a bit heavier and there checkering real light and no tritium.

Les baer puts together some good commanders.

predator20 12-20-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 23340)
I will never buy a colt, overrtaed company that your paying for the name, and they lack features. Most have a small safety, basic sights and no checkering. Smith and wesson has a lot of scandium commander, i want all steel, and with nightsights, good checkering, tuned trigger, smith triggers are genrally a bit heavier and there checkering real light and no tritium.

Les baer puts together some good commanders.

Man not that Colt bashing again. You may be buying a name when it comes to Colt. But they don't make shit guns. They also hold their value well too. They lack features? XSE line has extended safety, Novak sights, beavertail, etc, your choice of steel or alloy frame. Other than Taurus, very few come with checkering without paying out the ass for it. S&W, the scandium or alloy frames saves about 10oz. It may not be a pound but you'll notice the difference. When the Commander was first introduced by Colt I might add, it was only available in alloy frame the Combat steel frame came later. So a "true" Commander to me has the alloy frame. I'm pretty sure S&W triggers are already aftermarket, so they could be tuned pretty easily. My SW1911PD might have a little heavier trigger, but it's nice and clean. (I was comparing that trigger to my Springfield which has had some work done outside the factory.) The line serrations on the front strap may not grip as good as checkering. but it's better than nothing. The sights could always be upgraded to tritium ones.

Both Colt and S&W 1911s are pricey, but they're both made in the U.S. While Kimber and other custom makers are too, you'll end up paying a lot more.

Excalibur 12-20-2010 07:09 PM

And regular sights? What's wrong with adjustable sights like Novek or tritium?

Swordfish941 12-20-2010 08:49 PM

Mine would be a Colt Mk IV Series 80 fitted with Novak sights, a commander style hammer, beavertail grip safety, Pachmayr grips, extended beveled magazine well, and loaded with 8 round CMC magazines.

k9870 12-20-2010 09:53 PM

most colts i see ar enot xse s. All i see is series 70 repros and 1991s. Theyve got basic white dot sights and palstic triggers half the time. A springer milspec costs less, same features, and a metal trigger. Colt literally charges for a pony emblem. Their ar-15s are rediculously priced and no better than a bushmaster/rock river. They make good 1911s, sure, but cost more than a comprably good one. And they treat civilians as a side market. They dont even bother with R&D to innovate, hell the newest thing they got is a dao 1911, i cant wait to watch that fail.

Those chip mccormicks are great mags by the way.

predator20 12-20-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 23349)
most colts i see are not xse s. All i see is series 70 repros and 1991s. Theyve got basic white dot sights and palstic triggers half the time. A springer milspec costs less, same features, and a metal trigger. Colt literally charges for a pony emblem. Their ar-15s are rediculously priced and no better than a bushmaster/rock river. They make good 1911s, sure, but cost more than a comprably good one. And they treat civilians as a side market. They dont even bother with R&D to innovate, hell the newest thing they got is a dao 1911, i cant wait to watch that fail.

Those chip mccormicks are great mags by the way.

You may not see many XSEs but they are around. Some may like the plain look of the Series 80 models, which are around $200 less. Springers are cheaper for what you get, but they are made in Brazil. I don't think that's a bad thing, (I just bought a Springfield Milspec Stainless this morning) but labor is probably cheaper there and can sell at a lower price. Colt's main problem they didn't R&D when they should have. Use to they where the only maker of 1911s. Now they no longer have the market cornered. They did try something different with the Double Eagle, but that didn't go too well. They need to get back into double action revolvers. But I'm not sure they can compete with S&W and Ruger. Which have been the reason they stopped production on them in the first place.

I may seem hypocritical defending Colt while owning only Springer and S&W 1911s. But trust me, I'll get one eventually. I have missed several good buys on Colt's because I didn't have the money at the time.

k9870 12-20-2010 10:48 PM

I would do a colt revolver. The detective special is one of a kind, 6 shots at the size of a 5 shot j frame.

Also, colts seeing civilians as a secondary market pisses me off. Ive seen on forums where police officers talk about how cheap they get their ar-15s for their departments, ive heard of 6920s going for 500. I plan to be a police officer and support LE completely, but thats just rediculous we pay 3x the price.

Yournamehere 12-21-2010 05:44 AM

Surprised no one has said my frst choice...

WWII Colt 1911A1, preferably pre 1942 so it will have the checkered mainspring housing instead of the straight vertical serrations.

After that I'd want a pre 70 Colt Government Model made in 1967, for the sake of a song reference.

Third is a blued Colt Commander manufactured any time before the Series 80 changes were implemented.

To chime in on the Colt talk, as I have with my selection, the modern company is a shadow of it's former self, but their guns are not badly made. They are relatively high priced (overpriced in my opinion), and they don't have a wide range, but you get the name. I'm a purist, though, and I like to do things right, so if I were to own a Colt, it would be one made in an era when they were king and nothing but quality.

On the other hand, for those people who think all 1911s but Colts suck, they are wrong too. I only want Colts because they made them first. Furthermore, they didn't design the gun, they just produced the first models after getting the design from John Browning, so it's a slap in his face to refer to all 1911s as Colts (like saying "wow cool a Colt 1911" when looking at a Kimber or something). 1911s are 1911s. Colt 1911s are Colt 1911s. 1911s are NOT Colt 1911s unless they are manufactured by Colt and are stamped as such.

k9870 12-21-2010 12:44 PM

A lot of people think the name is important, i hear a lot of people say only Colt ar-15s are worth buying, yeah, thats why they lost the m-16 contract, because their quality was too high:confused:

S&Wshooter 12-21-2010 04:02 PM

If you're gonna go Colt, buy old Colts. It's the same with S&W

k9870 12-21-2010 09:17 PM

A guy at the range had an old colt officers model, felt great in hand. Just long enough to get all fingers on the grip. Id like one then id install a long trigger, tune it, checker the frontstrap, and put some nightsights on. Ultimate cc piece.

Yournamehere 12-22-2010 08:01 AM

From a collectors standpoint, and when it comes to their old guns, a quality standpoint, the Colt name is very important, regardless of how they conduct themselves now.

k9870 12-22-2010 12:54 PM

Some old colts would be great collectors pieces but horrible defensive guns, the old 1911s had 7-8 pound tiggers and only fed fmj. The military 1911s were also rediculously loose fitted.

Jcordell 12-22-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 23400)
Some old colts would be great collectors pieces but horrible defensive guns, the old 1911s had 7-8 pound tiggers and only fed fmj. The military 1911s were also rediculously loose fitted.

Which is why I stressed a pre-war commercial 1911A1 as my dream Colt 1911A1. A cherry Pre-War Commercial Colt 1911A1 is one of those holy grails. A modern tricked out 1911 isn't on the list.

In defense of those old sloppy military 1911's. I was in the Idaho Army National Guard from 1988 - 1993. I went into the Regular Army in 93.

Anyway I was in an armor unit and we were still using the M3 Grease Gun and old 1911's that really had some rattles in them. Even though those 1911's had been used fairly hard over the past fifty years they were very reliable and were fairly accurate even at 25 - 40 yards. No they weren't IPSIC or slow bull shooters, but they did put the bullets on target where they needed to go.

Just thought I would defend those old sloppy military 1911's.

The M3 Grease Gun was fun to shoot but fail to feeds were pretty common and you would often spend more time clearing them then shooting them. Nevertheless I liked to shoot them. Felt like Steve McQueen or one of the many actors in The Dirty Dozen.

We transitioned to the M1 Abrams from the M60A3 in 1989. A couple years after the transition we completed the full transition to the new TO&E (Table of Organization and Equipment) and got Berettas and M16A2's. Just in case anyone was wondering why the old firearms in the late 80's in a tank company. The 33rd Armor at Ft. Lewis was part of the 9th Inf Division before it was disbanded in the post Cold War downsize. Those guys were still in M60A3's in 1988 and were still using the M3 Grease Gun. And they were regular Army. I know becasue I was up there that summer and trained with them for a few days. So it wasn't just the National Guard using old equipment.

k9870 12-22-2010 11:01 PM

Just saw colt special combat governments on sale, 1300 bucks and not even friggin checkered, while 750 dollar kimbers are, and those even got night sights.

S&Wshooter 12-24-2010 07:46 AM

I'm tempted to change mind to a nice, stainless, single stack STI like the Sentinel Premier seeing as STI's guns are made in Texas and are nothing to sneeze at