imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Swordfish941 05-01-2011 11:08 PM

I saw The Lincoln Lawyer today. It was really good and it proves that Matthew McCanaughey can actually act.

funkychinaman 05-04-2011 07:09 PM

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...placement.html

To summarize, the next Bond movie will have $45 million of product placement in it. I think Walther is paying something, or at least there's a business relationship, as only Walther guns in the Qos game had proper names, but since MGM is so short on cash, do you think they'd be open to someone swooping in and offering more money? Can we see Bond carrying an HK or FN in the next movie?

Swordfish941 05-04-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 28525)
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...placement.html

To summarize, the next Bond movie will have $45 million of product placement in it. I think Walther is paying something, or at least there's a business relationship, as only Walther guns in the Qos game had proper names, but since MGM is so short on cash, do you think they'd be open to someone swooping in and offering more money? Can we see Bond carrying an HK or FN in the next movie?

Ian Fleming out product placement heavily in his books, so it will be relevant.

funkychinaman 05-04-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 28529)
Ian Fleming out product placement heavily in his books, so it will be relevant.

But did Fleming ever get paid for that? And the product placement gets a little ridiculous at times. Really, a car crashing into a Heineken truck? Bond driving a four door BMW? Bond having a BMW coupe with no gadgets waiting for him in Cuba?

If BMW could swoop in and get the car product placement over Aston Martin, I'm surprised no one has gone in for the pistol. It's the only piece of equipment Bond has had in EVERY movie.

MT2008 05-04-2011 08:09 PM

I can't believe "Fast Five" made so much money at the box office last weekend (actually surpassing the least conservative estimates of ticket-counters as well as the studio). I thought that when "Fast & Furious" did well, that was a fluke. Clearly, I am wrong.

What's even more ridiculous is that the franchise itself is 10 years old. I never would have thought that a franchise which appealed to teenagers of my generation would still have appeal another decade later. Obviously, there are lots of franchises in Hollywood that have lasted this long or longer, but usually not those which are directed only at teenagers and have little obvious cross-generation appeal. So what the fuck is it that Justin Lin, Vin Diesel, and Paul Walker (and now The Rock, too) know about franchise longevity that I don't?

Evil Tim 05-04-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 28525)
To summarize, the next Bond movie will have $45 million of product placement in it.

If I recall, won't that be something like twice the amount that was in the next biggest movie for product placement? Are we going to have Bond doing something like that shoe scene in I, Robot?

'Pay attention, 007, this is your fantastic Rolex watch. It features an accurately balanced action that keeps perfect time, guaranteed.'

'What does it do, Q?'

'It's a Rolex watch, I just told you. Now remember you have to stop off at Subway, White Castle, McDonald's, at least two Starbucks and Wal-Mart on the way to stopping Adolf Badmann detonating the nuclear weapon he bought from Sharper Image.'

'I hate this job.'

'Then you can apply for agency work at Manpower.'

funkychinaman 05-04-2011 08:14 PM

He did correct Vesper in CR and refer to his watch as an Omega.

(BTW, he pronounced it O-Mee-ga. Is that the proper way to pronounce it? Is it like Rodeo Drive and Houston Street, it isn't pronounced the normal way?)

Swordfish941 05-04-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 28539)
So what the fuck is it that Justin Lin, Vin Diesel, and Paul Walker (and now The Rock, too) know about franchise longevity that I don't?

It's a secret that people will do anything to know (you heard nothing from me).
:D *

*This means I am joking.

Evil Tim 05-04-2011 08:19 PM

Might just be British English, you hear people say it oh-me-ga and oh-may-ga over here.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 05-04-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 28539)
What's even more ridiculous is that the franchise itself is 10 years old. I never would have thought that a franchise which appealed to teenagers of my generation would still have appeal another decade later. Obviously, there are lots of franchises in Hollywood that have lasted this long or longer, but usually not those which are directed only at teenagers and have little obvious cross-generation appeal. So what the fuck is it that Justin Lin, Vin Diesel, and Paul Walker (and now The Rock, too) know about franchise longevity that I don't?

It's a simple formula for simple people. Fast cars crashing into each other (Transformers, Bad Boys, The Transporter) + criminals looking cool breaking the law (Scarface, The Boondock Saints, The Transporter (again) ). Plot, character development, (and sometimes even big name stars) are not required at all.