imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

S&Wshooter 06-14-2017 12:48 AM

I was looking at a Service Six at the same time as the 66 but then remembered the problems I'd had with my father's Speed Six, my grandfather's Single Six, and my Redhawk. S&W only for me unless I can get a Manurhin

Jcordell 06-14-2017 12:55 PM

I haven't had any trouble with my Ruger and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any trouble. I also own an MR-73. Mine has seen a lot of use, but it works just fine. Like you S&W is my favorite.

S&Wshooter 06-14-2017 10:31 PM

I'm still mad they broke my Redhawk after I talked to a Ruger rep and was assured that it was 100% fixable (slight barrel cant, sometimes wouldn't lock correctly) and that they would do so


Someone actually stole the Speed Six, sadly, but it'd always lock up within 75 rounds (ejector rod would back out)

S&Wshooter 06-14-2017 11:50 PM

My CHL just came in the mail, now I need a holster for my LCP

Jcordell 09-09-2017 08:29 PM

Picked up a nicely used Ruger GP100 with the 3" barrel. The previous owner had an action job done so the trigger is very easy. Ordered new compact grips from Ruger's shop. I've been looking for a 3" GP100 for awhile, but they aren't that common. I think Ruger probably makes more of the 4" and 6" models. I didn't even think about it when I found it. Just pulled out the Visa and purchased it. If I had waited somebody else would have purchased it.

Excalibur 09-11-2017 02:27 PM

I'm currently planning to build a "Firearm" but taking the Mossberg Shockwave and putting a pistol grip and a buffer tube adapter to it, then adding a brace. On paper, it reaches OAL limit to be a Firearm, so it would be legal to have.

Nyles 09-12-2017 09:35 PM

I bought a Finnish M28 Civil Guard rifle today. Basically an upgraded Mosin-Nagant M91 built for the Finnish Civil Guard - think sort of equivalent to the US national guard but independent of the army and privately funded, but still recognized by the government. The Civil Guard didn't like the army's M27 and came out with their own better version - features from both went into the later M39 used by both. I haven't bought a gun for almost a year but this was too good a deal for too rare a rifle to pass up.

Jcordell 09-14-2017 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 43788)
I bought a Finnish M28 Civil Guard rifle today. Basically an upgraded Mosin-Nagant M91 built for the Finnish Civil Guard - think sort of equivalent to the US national guard but independent of the army and privately funded, but still recognized by the government. The Civil Guard didn't like the army's M27 and came out with their own better version - features from both went into the later M39 used by both. I haven't bought a gun for almost a year but this was too good a deal for too rare a rifle to pass up.

Makes perfect sense Nyles.

Nyles 09-14-2017 09:26 PM

Believe it or not M39s are $900 rifles here and I've been seeing M27 army rifles for $1200 so if I see a $700 M28 I'm laughing all the way to my line of credit.

Jcordell 09-14-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 43792)
Believe it or not M39s are $900 rifles here and I've been seeing M27 army rifles for $1200 so if I see a $700 M28 I'm laughing all the way to my line of credit.

Lee-Enfields have climbed dramatically down here in the states over the past twenty years. I've come across a few recently that are priced between $300-$400. I can remember when you could pick up a Mk III* for $100.00 and that was back in 99!

Nyles 09-15-2017 08:49 PM

Good luck finding one for under $700 here if it isn't sporterised here. Sort of makes sense though, Canucks are naturally going to want Enfields more than Yanks!

Jcordell 09-16-2017 02:01 AM

Now Milspec Mausers are getting some high prices. 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfields , M1 Garands and M1 carbines are ridiculously high.

Nyles 09-18-2017 04:03 PM

I actually just had a long discussion on another forum about how milsurp prices have gone nuts - not only has the more desirable stuff (US, UK, German, K31s and non-M91 Finns here) just about doubled in price over a few years, the less desirable stuff (French, Italian, Austrian, other countries) has just about disappeared from the market. You can still get Russian and Chinese SKSs and refurbished M91/30s and SVT-40s relatively cheaply here but I hardly ever see anything that tempts me anymore. No matter how nice it is I just don't need to spend $1000 on a SMLE when I already have several.

Honestly money's been a little tight over the last year but even if it wasn't the decline of the milsurp market has me getting away from buying guns with any frequency. I got into scale modelling earlier this year and honestly it's just a better return on investment for my leisure money these days. $50 buys me a model tank and paints that'll keep me busy for a week vs a box of ammo that'll last 20 minutes at the range.

Excalibur 09-18-2017 06:20 PM

I really wish Garands are not stupid expensive. If they were M1 Carbine level of price, I'd buy one. Cheapest Garand I've ever seen was $1000. Cheapest M1 Carbine I've ever seen was 400

Nyles 09-18-2017 08:39 PM

I bought my Garand for $400 I think in 2002 and at the time thought that was a crazy price. Now they're going over $2000 up here for originals and ever ones built from parts kits are over $1500. Largely because they're exempt from capacity limits up here but I will never be able to wrap my head around that kind of money for a put-together. Original M1 carbines are one of the few milsurps here where I think the prices aren't totally stupid and that's just because you can only shoot them on a range up here.

Excalibur 09-19-2017 02:41 PM

Still though, I've always wanted the Garand because more so than any WWII weapon, it's that kind of iconic.

Recently, there's rumors of a company, that makes HK clones, bringing a production level MP5/10 and I want that

Jcordell 09-20-2017 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 43797)
I actually just had a long discussion on another forum about how milsurp prices have gone nuts - not only has the more desirable stuff (US, UK, German, K31s and non-M91 Finns here) just about doubled in price over a few years, the less desirable stuff (French, Italian, Austrian, other countries) has just about disappeared from the market. You can still get Russian and Chinese SKSs and refurbished M91/30s and SVT-40s relatively cheaply here but I hardly ever see anything that tempts me anymore. No matter how nice it is I just don't need to spend $1000 on a SMLE when I already have several.

As you know I'm a revolver nut. Seven/six years ago the second hand market was awash in nice used revolvers. I think the economy had a lot to do with it. I especially found 38 Special revolvers to be in excellent shape and reasonably priced. But in the past few years the economy has improved and there seems to be an ever growing interest in revolvers. It's my opinion that it's a combination of the attention that revolvers are receiving on the Internet (from guys like me), the popularity of historical crime dramas such as "Boardwalk Empire" and "Peaky Blinders" and the effect of laws in states like New York which makes it (relatively) easier to own revolvers. I'm still buying revolvers, but I've slowed down and they're harder to find. I'm also spending more of my "disposable" funds on books and movies. Similar situation to yours. I spend $50 on a great book like "U.S. Handguns of World War II" by Charles Pate and it is with me for years. I spend $50.00 on ammo and it's gone in twenty minutes as well - if not sooner.

Nyles 09-20-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 43803)
As you know I'm a revolver nut. Seven/six years ago the second hand market was awash in nice used revolvers. I think the economy had a lot to do with it. I especially found 38 Special revolvers to be in excellent shape and reasonably priced. But in the past few years the economy has improved and there seems to be an ever growing interest in revolvers. It's my opinion that it's a combination of the attention that revolvers are receiving on the Internet (from guys like me), the popularity of historical crime dramas such as "Boardwalk Empire" and "Peaky Blinders" and the effect of laws in states like New York which makes it (relatively) easier to own revolvers. I'm still buying revolvers, but I've slowed down and they're harder to find. I'm also spending more of my "disposable" funds on books and movies. Similar situation to yours. I spend $50 on a great book like "U.S. Handguns of World War II" by Charles Pate and it is with me for years. I spend $50.00 on ammo and it's gone in twenty minutes as well - if not sooner.

I've been out of the industry for a few years now but 3 years ago at least I found old .38s were definitely not getting any love - I'd hardly ever even sell the ammo and when I did it was usually to guys with .357s. They're just not that common up here thanks to our weird barrel length laws but they do seem to be selling for a little bit more when I see them - although still way less than I'd think the quality should command. Honestly stuff like Boardwalk Empire and Peaky Blinders was what got me into them, except I was a little ahead of the curve so it was the 90s Untouchables series and Millers Crossing.

In other news my M28 showed up in the mail yesterday and is in pretty nice shape. The real interesting thing is because the Civil Guard used issue numbers as well as serial numbers, I was able to trace that it was issued in Viipuri district, which was where the Soviet invasion in 1939 was centered. So this rifle was almost certainly on the Mannerheim Line! If you've ever seen Talvisota, and if you haven't you should, that was the battle.

Jcordell 09-20-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 43806)
I've been out of the industry for a few years now but 3 years ago at least I found old .38s were definitely not getting any love - I'd hardly ever even sell the ammo and when I did it was usually to guys with .357s. They're just not that common up here thanks to our weird barrel length laws but they do seem to be selling for a little bit more when I see them - although still way less than I'd think the quality should command. Honestly stuff like Boardwalk Empire and Peaky Blinders was what got me into them, except I was a little ahead of the curve so it was the 90s Untouchables series and Millers Crossing.

In other news my M28 showed up in the mail yesterday and is in pretty nice shape. The real interesting thing is because the Civil Guard used issue numbers as well as serial numbers, I was able to trace that it was issued in Viipuri district, which was where the Soviet invasion in 1939 was centered. So this rifle was almost certainly on the Mannerheim Line! If you've ever seen Talvisota, and if you haven't you should, that was the battle.

I love the old warhorses with a possible connection to history. If only they could talk. My old Mauser Bolo is stamped Hispania on the barrel. No Chinese markings and no proof marks beyond the ones that Mauser put on it at the factory. So was it shipped to Spain by the Germans as aid to Franco? Possibly? Who knows, but it's fun to think about.

The feature film "The Untouchables" is one of my favorites incidentally.

Jcordell 10-09-2017 09:30 PM

Well I was worried that my sole Ruger GP100 was getting lonely so when I found this 3" GP100 I had to take it home for company. Incidentally I don't have large hands and the smaller grips that used to be standard on the 3" model fits the full-size model as well. Fits my smallish hands very nicely. Reminds me of the Pachmayr Compac grip. I've had the 3" GP100 on my "Nice to have" (in contrast to my "Must Have" list and my "One Day I'll be super rich and own it" list) list for many many years. They aren't real easy to find. I guess Ruger makes like fifty of them every other year. I paid $500 for this one. The price was not negotiable and I wanted it. Made in 1990 it's in excellent shape. That's retail for you. If I had waited somebody else would have bought it. It had only been in the shop for a day and the owner (whom I've known for many years) said that many folks had looked at it already. It was on consignment so the owner couldn't cut me a deal.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...psrv8hclod.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...psjzkgpq7y.jpg

Nyles 10-18-2017 03:44 AM

Very nice!

Excalibur 10-25-2017 10:37 PM

Just about done with my latest AR pistol project. I'll post a picture of it soon.

Excalibur 10-28-2017 04:10 PM

Alright. Here's what it looks like
https://imgur.com/a/NyO8S

MT2008 10-29-2017 11:56 PM

So, after many years of searching, I finally traded my S&W 4506-1 for a USP 9mm just yesterday. I realize that some S&W fans on IMFDB will likely regard what I did as tantamount to high treason, but I always wanted an original 9mm USP (it's the only H und K that I ever care to own), and the 4506 was always just too big for me.

My USP is a pretty old one, too, with date code "KE" (1994) and no polygonal rifling in the barrel. I regard it as an acquisition that is consistent with my tendency to collect 1980s/1990s Wonder Nines that were common in the movies of my youth.

Jcordell 10-30-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 43869)
So, after many years of searching, I finally traded my S&W 4506-1 for a USP 9mm just yesterday. I realize that some S&W fans on IMFDB will likely regard what I did as tantamount to high treason, but I always wanted an original 9mm USP (it's the only H und K that I ever care to own), and the 4506 was always just too big for me.

My USP is a pretty old one, too, with date code "KE" (1994) and no polygonal rifling in the barrel. I regard it as an acquisition that is consistent with my tendency to collect 1980s/1990s Wonder Nines that were common in the movies of my youth.

YOU LOUSY TRAITOR! HOW DARE YOU TRADE IN THAT 4506-1 FOR A PIECE OF GERMAN GARBAGE!







:D Good trade. I understand. You knew that somebody was going to go through that opening that you left. I felt obligated.

S&Wshooter 10-31-2017 04:34 PM

You've traded an overbuilt gun with $50 mags for another overbuilt gun with $50 mags. Too bad it wasn't a USP45, so you could still convert to .45 Super on a whim

MT2008 11-01-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 43871)
You've traded an overbuilt gun with $50 mags for another overbuilt gun with $50 mags. Too bad it wasn't a USP45, so you could still convert to .45 Super on a whim

I realize we haven't talked much in years, but I always thought you were a fan of the 4506? Don't deny that mags for the 4506 are expensive, but I never regarded any of Smith's 3rd Gen semi-autos as "overbuilt" (which, ironically, is the one problem I do have with H&Ks).

It's funny you mention the USP 45: I actually bought a USP 45 over two years ago, which is the first H&K I owned (though due to my inactivity on the forum in the past few years, I don't think I ever posted about it on here). I wound up trading it for my Glock 34 (which I still own) about six months later. The USP 45 was a bit too big for me, unfortunately, which is I guess a problem that I have with most .45s.

Right now, my pistol collection is as follows:

- SIG P226
- Beretta 92FS INOX
- Glock 17 Gen 2
- Glock 26 Gen 3
- Glock 34 Gen 3
- H&K USP-9
- Ruger Mark II
- Colt Vest Pocket .25 ACP
- Taurus Titanium .38

Excalibur 11-02-2017 07:16 PM

I've always wanted to just own one of the older S&W autos. They feel really good in the hand but I've never been a fan of DA/SA guns for carry. I just don't shoot well with them.

StanTheMan 11-05-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 43870)
YOU LOUSY TRAITOR! HOW DARE YOU TRADE IN THAT 4506-1 FOR A PIECE OF GERMAN GARBAGE!

Seconded.. MT, how could you??







Quote:

:D Good trade. I understand. You knew that somebody was going to go through that opening that you left. I felt obligated.
Eh, seconded on this too. :p That and you still have the SIG, so, I can forgive this slip up. :rolleyes: An aside, your INOX is one of the older Italian-made ones, right?

I do hear ya about the '06.. it does look rather big. I'm been a bit more partial to the 4566 for that reason. That said, just like Excalibur would love to own a 3rd gen S&W auto. They also feel good. That said, like him it'd admittedly be a range toy though. BTW Ex, the AR build is pretty nice. Definitely cleaner than some ARs I've seen.

Also, good find on the 3" GP, JCordell. Man I do love some 3" (or so) revolvers. The S&W M66 re-release in the shorter version has definitely caught my eye.

Excalibur 11-06-2017 07:54 PM

Speaking of which, at my local store, they marked down another S&W auto, a 406. Giving it away at just under 300 bucks

S&Wshooter 11-06-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 43872)
but I never regarded any of Smith's 3rd Gen semi-autos as "overbuilt" (which, ironically, is the one problem I do have with H&Ks).

The 4506-1 has more to do with the 10mm 3rd gens (designed for a steady diet of full power 10mm, the kind that caused extremely accelerated wear on its main competitor, the Colt Delta Elite) than it does the base 4506. Kind of overkill for .45 ACP, although it does make the gun very controllable and soft shooting. Even the later, black followered, mags are super heavy duty, definitely meant to last; compared to slightly older base model 4506 and 645 mags (already quite stout and well made, on par with really good 1911 mags) their springs and mag bodies are just a little better. The 9mm 3rd gens are built more like the .40 offerings of other companies than their comparable 9mms, and are definitely beefed up compared to 1st & 2nd gen autos, which are already pretty tough (not the finishes, though, that glossy black goes QUICK)

I'm basing this off my experiences owning guns from all 3 gens, which are as follows
1st gen: 39-2
2nd gen: 459, 645
3rd gen: 4506-1, 6906, 915

S&Wshooter 11-06-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 43880)
Speaking of which, at my local store, they marked down another S&W auto, a 406. Giving it away at just under 300 bucks

The 4006 used to be hands down the most common S&W auto in my area, because tons and tons of police officers, especially HPD, carried them in the 90's and earlier 00's. Once XD's and M&P's got on the market, a bunch showed up on the used market, usually around $350 with mags, but they were gone within a few years.


Thinking of S&W, I'm looking at the Chief's Special 9mm as my next carry gun and may trade my mother my LCP for her old 642. She's probably getting her LTC, and she doesn't really like shooting the airweight, going to let her try the LCP out to see if she'd prefer it

EDIT: geez, just looked at how the recoil spring is set up on the CS series, might just go 3913. Would probably shoot it better anyways

Excalibur 11-06-2017 11:04 PM

I've been thinking of getting the new M&P 2.0 Compact to replace my carry gun.

Mike Searson 11-07-2017 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 43883)
I've been thinking of getting the new M&P 2.0 Compact to replace my carry gun.

I just reviewed the full-sized M&P 2.0 for Ammoland and one of my carry guns is an M&P Compact with Apex trigger that I did for RECOIL last year. The new trigger is no Apex, but it is light years ahead of the first one.

S&Wshooter 11-07-2017 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 43883)
I've been thinking of getting the new M&P 2.0 Compact to replace my carry gun.

They look really good, like a true alternative to the Glock 19 that isn't slightly too small or slightly too big

Excalibur 11-14-2017 02:41 AM

I'd probably get it with a few extras but keep my G19 because I've gotten so many extras with it like tons of mags and aftermarket accessories with those mags. I carry a Magpul 21 round mag as my spare

AdAstra2009 12-19-2017 11:13 PM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4691/...8334e85e_k.jpg

Picked up a Smith & Wesson model 28

funkychinaman 12-20-2017 04:41 PM

And you have an Armscor Model 206 as well. I have to assume you got new grips for it.

Jcordell 12-21-2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 43948)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4691/...8334e85e_k.jpg

Picked up a Smith & Wesson model 28

Excellent. You got a P&R. Way to go. If you don't mind me asking (I'm going to as anyway of course) how much?

Jcordell 12-21-2017 02:18 AM

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/.../Finish3-1.jpg

You can't have too many Model 28s......ever.:rolleyes:


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.