imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

S&Wshooter 06-13-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30259)
Sure. Why not?

*Loads 4506*

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 06:33 AM

Guys, I stopped watching the movie after seeing Channing Tatum as Duke. I then puked most of my dinner out. He is one of the worst actors I have ever seen. Everyone else was okay in the movie (even Marlon Wayans).

BTW, I made a revised GI Joe Reboot cast:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=39279

S&Wshooter 06-13-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30261)
Guys, I stopped watching the movie after seeing Channing Tatum as Duke. I then puked most of my dinner out. He is one of the worst actors I have ever seen. Everyone else was okay in the movie (even Marlon Wayans).

So you will not be needing the blindfold? Damn.

*unchambers 4506, puts it back where it was*

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 30262)
So you will not be needing the blindfold? Damn.

*unchambers 4506, puts it back where it was*

No, but I want you to reload your 4506, go find Channing Tatum, and shoot him the head at point blank range for ruining a countless number of people's childhood.

S&Wshooter 06-13-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30263)
No, but I want you to reload your 4506, go find Channing Tatum, and shoot him the head at point blank range for ruining a countless number of people's childhood.

That would be nice, but I do not believe he is worth the cost of the bullet

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 30264)
That would be nice, but I do not believe he is worth the cost of the bullet

Then just shoot him in the knee caps.

S&Wshooter 06-13-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30265)
He is not worth the one bullet? Why not waste two?

This is what you are saying.

Go watch the real GI Joe movie, you will feel better

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Real-A...7948038&sr=1-7

Evil Tim 06-13-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 30247)
I think the premise there is that you are the character. Your story is his, your thoughts are his, your opinions are his, etc..

Yeah, the problem I have with that is that rather than you being a soldier, a soldier ends up being you. Since he can't really do anything or say anything, he ends up utterly useless and everything happens to him rather than because of him. For example, in MW2 you might as well be playing as Foley since all Ramirez ever does is what Foley tells him to; if you were, you'd be doing things because your character was a guy who leads by example rather than having a sneaking suspicion that Foley is named as the beneficiary of Ramirez's life insurance and wants to collect.

funkychinaman 06-13-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 30266)
This is what you are saying.

Go watch the real GI Joe movie, you will feel better

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Real-A...7948038&sr=1-7

The opening title of the original movie was better than 90% of the episodes. (Of course, it'll all downhill from there.) It's easily the highlight of the series.

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30268)
The opening title of the original movie was better than 90% of the episodes. (Of course, it'll all downhill from there.) It's easily the highlight of the series.

And 90% of the episodes are better than the 2009 movie.

Also, I made a revamped version of my cast. Go check it out.

funkychinaman 06-13-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30269)

I'll check it out.

Here's the clip of the opening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIAVZf5nQs

If you ever watched the cartoon, I don't know what was more ridiculous, that CC would personally go expose himself to danger when the Baroness, the Twins and Destro were right there and available, or Duke would outright attempt to kill CC by punching him off the Statue of Liberty. Silliness aside, the shameless Reagan-era jingoism brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.

Evil Tim 06-13-2011 08:25 AM

It was kinda weird over here since it was re-dubbed as "Action Force" who were "International Heroes." This mangled the theme song about as much as you'd expect (try making the word "International" last as many syllables as "A Real American" to see how much). And then the actual cartoon started and Cobra Commander was still cursing GI Joe. And they were international heroes who happened to all still be Americans. :rolleyes:

I think after a while they started calling them "GI Joe the Action Force" in adverts (this made the theme song even worse) and later just GI Joe.

Spartan198 06-13-2011 09:14 AM

GI Joe never should have been "internationalized" to begin with, IMO. Imagine if they took The Unit and edited it to make all the cast into British SAS or Russian VDV for the viewership in those particular countries.

Not that I have anything against the SAS or VDV...

Evil Tim 06-13-2011 09:25 AM

Yeah, it was pretty stupid, but the toys were worth the stupid.

funkychinaman 06-13-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30269)

The one that stuck out the most was Katee Sackoff as Cover Girl. Katee is pretty enough (from certain angles) but Cover Girl was supposed to be a former model who got tired of the biz and wanted a change. (Plausible, I know.) Why not Tricia Helfer? She's got the looks, and she can be tough. (Check out the fistfight between Six and Starbuck from BSG.)

MT2008 06-13-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30261)

Much as I hate to play devil's advocate to Channing Tatum, he's hardly the worst actor I've ever seen. But I do frequently find myself wondering why he keeps getting cast as pretty boy soldiers - first in "Stop-Loss", then in "GI Joe: Rise of Cobra", and then in "Dear John". I would kinda prefer Hollywood find some other actor to typecast in such roles (if they're going to typecast at all - that's a whole other issue).

Also, I don't think Channing Tatum deserves to shoulder all of the blame for "Rise of Cobra". It's not like he's playing a role that requires acting, so much as looking cool in the suit and doing the stunts. If the script sucks and the director is unimaginative, then the movie is going to be unwatchable, regardless of who plays the lead.

funkychinaman 06-13-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30279)
Much as I hate to play devil's advocate to Channing Tatum, he's hardly the worst actor I've ever seen. But I do frequently find myself wondering why he keeps getting cast as pretty boy soldiers - first in "Stop-Loss", then in "GI Joe: Rise of Cobra", and then in "Dear John". I would kinda prefer Hollywood find some other actor to typecast in such roles (if they're going to typecast at all - that's a whole other issue).

Also, I don't think Channing Tatum deserves to shoulder all of the blame for "Rise of Cobra". It's not like he's playing a role that requires acting, so much as looking cool in the suit and doing the stunts. If the script sucks and the director is unimaginative, then the movie is going to be unwatchable, regardless of who plays the lead.

I'm not going to argue that a good actor, say Jeremy Renner, as Duke would've saved the film, but it's still telling that people are calling Channing Tatum out specifically in an otherwise atrocious film. It's like when people call out Megan Fox's bad acting in Transformers. You know she had to be at a special level of bad to stand out like that.

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30274)
The one that stuck out the most was Katee Sackoff as Cover Girl. Katee is pretty enough (from certain angles) but Cover Girl was supposed to be a former model who got tired of the biz and wanted a change. (Plausible, I know.) Why not Tricia Helfer? She's got the looks, and she can be tough. (Check out the fistfight between Six and Starbuck from BSG.)

Katee Sackhoff was the first person I thought of when casting Cover Girl. Anyway, what do you think of the weapons I gave each character and my simple plot outline?

funkychinaman 06-13-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30286)
Katee Sackhoff was the first person I thought of when casting Cover Girl. Anyway, what do you think of the weapons I gave each character and my simple plot outline?

I think the plot outline is a little broad. Invade where, for what purpose? You have to shoehorn all of this into two hours or less.

I also think that's the first time anyone ever said anything nice about "The World is Not Enough."

I would've gone with a bow and arrow for Zartan. He killed both the Hard Master and Serpentor with a bow and arrow in the comics. (Indeed, check out the picture on his wikpedia page.) Everything else looked fine.

funkychinaman 06-13-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30271)
It was kinda weird over here since it was re-dubbed as "Action Force" who were "International Heroes." This mangled the theme song about as much as you'd expect (try making the word "International" last as many syllables as "A Real American" to see how much). And then the actual cartoon started and Cobra Commander was still cursing GI Joe. And they were international heroes who happened to all still be Americans. :rolleyes:

I think after a while they started calling them "GI Joe the Action Force" in adverts (this made the theme song even worse) and later just GI Joe.

I've often wondered about this: did they ever retcon the characters or change the voices on any of them to reflect their supposed multinational roots? I think they only added a British SAS guy and a Russian guy five years in.

"Once, he bought me Action Man, which is like the British version of G.I. Joe, except that Action Man has to serve in Northern Ireland!"

Evil Tim 06-13-2011 07:02 PM

I don't recall the TV series being broadcast to the same extent, say, Transformers was, but I think they only changed the intro song and the GI Joe logos on the toys themselves (to "Action Force" over the red, white and blue banner...Yeah, it was extremely halfassed), and not the voices in the actual cartoon, where it was still GI Joe.

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30288)
I think the plot outline is a little broad. Invade where, for what purpose? You have to shoehorn all of this into two hours or less.

I also think that's the first time anyone ever said anything nice about "The World is Not Enough."

I would've gone with a bow and arrow for Zartan. He killed both the Hard Master and Serpentor with a bow and arrow in the comics. (Indeed, check out the picture on his wikpedia page.) Everything else looked fine.

They invade America because they are a terrorist group hellbent on world domination.

I would of given Zartan a compound bow instead of a regular bow.

S&Wshooter 06-14-2011 02:52 AM

I bought Dragon Age 2 because I felt like I needed a break from playing all the same games over and over again

Excalibur 06-14-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 30301)
I bought Dragon Age 2 because I felt like I needed a break from playing all the same games over and over again

You should have just rented it. It wasn't as a good as Dragon Age Origins in terms of story. Gameplay was good

S&Wshooter 06-14-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 30313)
You should have just rented it. It wasn't as a good as Dragon Age Origins in terms of story. Gameplay was good

I like it, and there isn't anywhere to rent games anyways. I will probably get Dragon Age Origins next time I get some money. I actually saw it and some kind of expansion for it bundled together for only $27

funkychinaman 06-14-2011 07:03 PM

So DNF is out, and if reviews are to be believed, it's horrible. But, to steal from Samuel Johnson, it's amazing that it exists at all. With DNF out and Chinese Democracy released a year ago, what's the go to reference when it comes to vaporware?

Evil Tim 06-14-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30296)
They invade America because they are a terrorist group hellbent on world domination.

Yeah, but I think Cobra is more "take the staff at the UN building hostage and demand something completely stupid" or "build earthquake machine inside volcano and demand something completely stupid" (or "try to use it without even bothering to demand anything," half the time) than conventional invasions. If they've got the manpower to invade the entire United States, EMP or no, how would they ever have kept Cobra Commander locked up to start with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30316)
So DNF is out, and if reviews are to be believed, it's horrible. But, to steal from Samuel Johnson, it's amazing that it exists at all. With DNF out and Chinese Democracy released a year ago, what's the go to reference when it comes to vaporware?

Half-Life 2 Episode 3. Or for that matter Half-Life 3.

funkychinaman 06-14-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30296)

There's more than one way to world domination though. Even in the cartoon, I think Cobra only tried an outright invasion of the US once. I always pictured Cobra trying to control the world's oil supply by propping up their own puppet regimes and destabilizing others with weapons sales to rivals.

MT2008 06-14-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30316)

Dunno about "horrible", but the consensus from the reviews I've read seems to be that it's (at best) an OK game which needed to be released 10 years ago in order to stay relevant and innovative. One of my undergrad art school friends just got it today, so I'm going to try it at his place and draw my own conclusions.

Also, "DNF" and "Chinese Democracy" may both be released, but I don't think the vaporware reference needs to be retired. Any game or album that takes 10+ years to be released deserves to be associated with the term vaporware, permanently (even if the development time is technically not infinite).

Evil Tim 06-15-2011 07:40 AM

I believe the classic vapourware games are:

Daikatana (3 years, 1997-2000)
Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (4 years in October, no release date)
Alan Wake (5 years, 2005-2010)
Half-Life 2 (6 years, 1998-2004)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (6 years, 2001-2007)
Dark Sector (8 years, 2000-2008)
Team Fortress 2 (8 years, 1999-2007)
Darkfall (8 years, 2001-2009)
Mother 3 (10 years, 1996-2006)
Prey (11 years, 1995-2006)
Duke Nukem Forever (15 years, 1997-2011)

Spartan198 06-15-2011 08:08 AM

Game Spot damn sure wasn't kind to it.

Quote:

So this is what we've been waiting for, it seems: a tedious and unattractive sci-fi shooter that would quickly hit the bargain bin if it weren't called Duke Nukem Forever. Duke may be an icon, but he's just going through the motions in this stitched-together collection of poorly paced levels, which do the unimaginable: they make Duke boring. Some see the cigar-chomping alpha male as a misogynist pig; others see a clever and ironic take on macho cliches. Neither crowd is likely to get worked up over Duke's actions here. Sure, he spouts the occasional sexist quip. He receives a lap dance from a topless stripper, smacks monsters in the crotch to humiliate them, and has no problem using words beginning with the letter "f." But there's nothing sexy, provocative, or sly about his portrayal in this long-awaited sequel. In Duke Nukem Forever, there is little joy, little excitement, and little fun. That is, unless your idea of fun is to catch an occasional glimpse of digital nipples while you jump and drive around, and only occasionally shoot a few brain-dead aliens.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...er/review.html

Evil Tim 06-15-2011 02:13 PM

I think the Guardian was even less kind, I recall the quote being "If this is what took fifteen years, one must ask what they did with the other fourteen years and ten months."

MT2008 06-15-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30344)
I believe the classic vapourware games are:

Daikatana (3 years, 1997-2000)
Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (4 years in October, no release date)
Alan Wake (5 years, 2005-2010)
Half-Life 2 (6 years, 1998-2004)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (6 years, 2001-2007)
Dark Sector (8 years, 2000-2008)
Team Fortress 2 (8 years, 1999-2007)
Darkfall (8 years, 2001-2009)
Mother 3 (10 years, 1996-2006)
Prey (11 years, 1995-2006)
Duke Nukem Forever (15 years, 1997-2011)

LOL, it's so funny to think that Daikatana used to be considered vaporware just because it missed its release date by two and a half years (it was supposed to come out in Fall 1997, instead came out in Spring 2000). Of course, back in those days, games used to get developed and released in much shorter time periods - if someone announced a game at E3 in 1997, it was expected to see release within the next year.

Some of those games also don't seem to be vaporware to me. Half-Life 2 may have had a six-year development time, but considering that Valve only announced it at E3 in 2003, it's not like most people were anticipating it from the moment the original game was released. A 1-year delay doesn't really qualify for vaporware status. Plus, unlike Duke Nukem Forever and Daikatana, it was actually a good enough game to justify the wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30353)
I think the Guardian was even less kind, I recall the quote being "If this is what took fifteen years, one must ask what they did with the other fourteen years and ten months."

Yes, you quoted them verbatim.

k9870 06-15-2011 02:36 PM

MT you end up playing it?

MT2008 06-15-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 30355)
MT you end up playing it?

I'll see my gamer friends on Friday, most likely (that's when I usually hang out with them). I'll probably try it out then, and tell y'all what I think. Only problem is, I tend to drink like I'm back in college when I hang out with these guys, so my recollection of the gameplay experience might not be so good. :D

k9870 06-15-2011 03:12 PM

From the reviews youll probably have to be slammed to enjoy it.

MT2008 06-15-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 30359)
From the reviews youll probably have to be slammed to enjoy it.

True. :D

There's another problem, too: Remember that I pretty much ceased to be a gamer by the time I was 19 (and for me, 19 was almost seven years ago now). The last FPS game I played to completion was Half-Life 2, in 2004. I've played some of the games in the Halo and Call of Duty franchises in multiplayer, but not single-player. For me, DNF is probably going to seem a lot more exciting than it would be to the rest of you, since I am seven years behind y'all when it comes to FPS games.

Evil Tim 06-15-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30354)
Half-Life 2 may have had a six-year development time, but considering that Valve only announced it at E3 in 2003, it's not like most people were anticipating it from the moment the original game was released.

Well, Half-Life did end with a very obvious "what will happen next" sequel hook; I think it's more of a surprise that they actually did start work on a sequel as soon as they finished the first game.

MT2008 06-15-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30366)
Well, Half-Life did end with a very obvious "what will happen next" sequel hook; I think it's more of a surprise that they actually did start work on a sequel as soon as they finished the first game.

It was a huge surprise to me when Half-Life 2 was announced, and not just because Valve kept it a secret. Before HL2 was announced (May 2003), I figured that most of Valve's staff was so busy with Team Fortress 2 (which was really, truly a vaporware game) that they would never get around to HL2 until it was done. And when TF2's development kept dragging on and on, I started to think HL2 would never come out.

Also, I remember in a PC Gamer issue from Winter 2000, there was an article about TF2 where (in the sidebar) Gabe Newell was asked if HL2 was in development. He flat-out denied that Valve had even started working on a sequel, even though we now know that it had been in development for a full year at the time he said this.

Evil Tim 06-15-2011 06:52 PM

I recall right when it was first being rumoured in 2000, the UK PC Gamer ran a competition with the prize being a copy of TF2 when it shipped. They got a letter from one of the winners in 2007 and sent him his copy for remembering.