imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Hanna" story discussion continuation (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2154)

2wingo 02-11-2013 07:58 PM

"Hanna" story discussion continuation
 
At the request of the admins, my armory discussion on the Talk Page of "Hanna" will be conducted here, henceforth.

2wingo 02-11-2013 10:52 PM

Update 2.51
 
Here is my current list:

Assault Rifle: Heckler & Koch G36C (with factory vertical foregrip).

Shotgun: 12-gauge Remington 870 "Witness Protection."

Handgun: 2 Gen4 Glock 26s (kept in underarm tactical holsters; uses 12-round magazines).

Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi.

Sniper Rifle: Thompson Center Arms Encore Rifle (.30-06 Springfield chambering; screws and pivot pin modified to allow the rifle to be assembled and disassembled without tools; end of barrel threaded to accept custom-made suppressor).

Backup Gun: Walther PPS (.40 S&W chambering).

I know most of you suggested that the sniper rifle use the readily-available .308 Winchester, but frankly, the amount of drop it has at long range seemed a bit much compared to the .30-06, which is also very common worldwide with a flatter trajectory and less recoil.

It has also been suggested that the .40 S&W PPS is too powerful for someone as small as Hanna, to which I reply: Dude, did you even SEE the movie? A 16-year-old girl who is strong enough to drag a 300 lb. caribou carcass roughly a mile without getting visibly winded can probably handle the slightly greater recoil. Besides, isn't a backup gun supposed to be a heavier caliber than your standard gun? You'd only draw it when your others failed, so you'd want something that could cause a little more damage.

BlackIce_GTS 02-12-2013 02:21 AM

Here's the talk page, to get everyone caught up on the discussion.

You mentioned her targets would be armoured, so maybe an FN Five-seveN and P90? High capacity, armour piercing, and manageable recoil.
7.62x25 Tokarev is supposed to be a good penetrator as well. CZ52 and... PP-19 Bizon? Not as 'modern' as the FNs.
As for the sniper rifle, yes it's light and concealable, but only a single shot? There has to be some take down bolt action that's nearly as light. I can't think of any (that aren't .22s) though...

2wingo 02-12-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIce_GTS (Post 37994)
Here's the talk page, to get everyone caught up on the discussion.

You mentioned her targets would be armoured, so maybe an FN Five-seveN and P90? High capacity, armour piercing, and manageable recoil.
7.62x25 Tokarev is supposed to be a good penetrator as well. CZ52 and... PP-19 Bizon? Not as 'modern' as the FNs.
As for the sniper rifle, yes it's light and concealable, but only a single shot? There has to be some take down bolt action that's nearly as light. I can't think of any (that aren't .22s) though...

The FN Five-seveN is a good idea to use in place of the Walther, but the 9mm Parabellum is still the worldwide standard, and thus easy to get, so I think I'll keep the Glocks as her primary sidearms. Also, the Tokarev can't match the 9mm's stopping power.

The Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS might be better. It's light, reliable under harsh conditions, and could easily be carried away with a collapsable bipod and carry sling.

Side note: I was orginally planning for this story to be a crossover with "Kick-Ass," but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it to be about Hanna alone.

SPEMack618 02-12-2013 04:49 AM

Couple of quick questions...

Why have sub-compact 9mm guns as primary and then a bigger gun in .40 S&W for a back up?

Not to be a Glock fan boy, but maybe Glock 19s primary and the 26s as back up pieces?

2wingo 02-12-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37996)
Couple of quick questions...

Why have sub-compact 9mm guns as primary and then a bigger gun in .40 S&W for a back up?

Not to be a Glock fan boy, but maybe Glock 19s primary and the 26s as back up pieces?

I just figured that you'd only draw your backup gun when your primaries failed to do the job, and you'd want something a little more powerful in that situation.

I originally thought that the Glock 19 was too big and would look awkward in her hands, but I've taken some measurements and realized that, assuming everything is in proportion, I was wrong.

Using Glock 19s instead of 26s is good, but I don't want her primary and backup piece to come from the same manufacturer. It would just bug the hell out of me, don't know why. I think I'll give her the FN Five-seveN as her backup gun.

commando552 02-12-2013 09:51 AM

In real life, the back up gun would generally be the same caliber or smaller than your primary. It would also not be a full size pistol like the Five-seveN. The reason for this is that it is your secondary, so carrying something that is relatively large and heavy will be a wast most of the time (particularly as she is already carrying two other pistols). A backup should also be concealable so that it will not be visible if your primary pistols are taken. It is generally a good idea for the backup to share ammunition with your primary so that you can interchange between the two. If you are going for a 9x19mm primary, the obvious choice would be a Glock 26, but if you don't like this how about something like a Kel-Tec PF-9 or Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact.

If you wan't something that you can draw and absolutely kill the one guy that is in front of you, you could think of a Bond Arms derringer with one of the bigger chamberings like .357 Mag, or .410 shotshell/.45 Long Colt.

As for the sniper, how about the DRD Tactical Paratus? It is fully takedown and goes in a 16"x10" briefcase, is semi auto from a 20 round magazine and uses commonly available .308 ammunition.

2wingo 02-12-2013 10:10 PM

Good suggestions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 37999)
In real life, the back up gun would generally be the same caliber or smaller than your primary. It would also not be a full size pistol like the Five-seveN. The reason for this is that it is your secondary, so carrying something that is relatively large and heavy will be a wast most of the time (particularly as she is already carrying two other pistols). A backup should also be concealable so that it will not be visible if your primary pistols are taken. It is generally a good idea for the backup to share ammunition with your primary so that you can interchange between the two. If you are going for a 9x19mm primary, the obvious choice would be a Glock 26, but if you don't like this how about something like a Kel-Tec PF-9 or Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact.

If you wan't something that you can draw and absolutely kill the one guy that is in front of you, you could think of a Bond Arms derringer with one of the bigger chamberings like .357 Mag, or .410 shotshell/.45 Long Colt.

As for the sniper, how about the DRD Tactical Paratus? It is fully takedown and goes in a 16"x10" briefcase, is semi auto from a 20 round magazine and uses commonly available .308 ammunition.

I've heard good things about the Px4, so I think I'll go with that one. The .357 Magnum derringer sounds good, too.

Wow, a more perfect sniper rifle for Hanna's needs really could not exist (at least not until they figure out a way to make the .408 CheyTac M-200 Intervention fit into a briefcase).

2wingo 02-13-2013 06:57 AM

Update 3
 
Assault Rifle: Heckler & Koch G36C (with factory vertical foregrip).

Shotgun: 12-gauge Remington 870 "Witness Protection."

Handgun: 2 Gen4 Glock 19s (kept in underarm tactical holsters; uses 17-round magazines).

Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi (barrel threaded to accommodate suppressor).

Sniper Rifle: DRD Tactical Paratus-SBR-12.

Backup Guns: Walther PPS (.40 S&W chambering); FN Five-seveN Tactical (armor-piercing SS190 ammo); Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact; Bond Arms Snake Slayer derringer (.357 Magnum chambering); Glock 36.


You all gave good suggestions, and it hit me that, since Hanna would likely choose which gun she'd use depending on what she expected to encounter, she'd probably have them all for versatility's sake. Like Travis Bickle did in "Tax Driver."

Hanna acquires the illegal weapons and ammo from a black market arms dealer, paying for them with gold taken from the Nazi hoard hidden at the bottom of Lake Toplitz in Austria (her father retrieved it and hid it away shortly before he took Hanna into hiding).

Rockwolf66 02-13-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38014)
[size="4"]
Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi (barrel threaded to accommodate suppressor).

If it's a dedicated Supressor you don't have to thread the Uzi Barrel. You can just replace the Barrel Nut with the sound supressor itself.

Mandolin 02-13-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38014)
Assault Rifle: Heckler & Koch G36C (with factory vertical foregrip).

Shotgun: 12-gauge Remington 870 "Witness Protection."

Handgun: 2 Gen4 Glock 19s (kept in underarm tactical holsters; uses 17-round magazines).

Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi (barrel threaded to accommodate suppressor).

Sniper Rifle: DRD Tactical Paratus-SBR-12.

Backup Guns: Walther PPS (.40 S&W chambering); FN Five-seveN Tactical (armor-piercing SS190 ammo); Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact; Bond Arms Snake Slayer derringer (.357 Magnum chambering); Glock 36.

You've got several problems. First is that anyone with double shoulder holsters is: A. A mall ninja guaranteed to be laughed at by anyone with a clue about guns. 2. Lacking places to put spare mags. Yes, you could put them on your belt but why do that when you've got a shoulder holster. D. Going to have hard time with anything else. That double shoulder holster might be nice, but you can't use it with you tactical vest. I'd go with a single shoulder holster and a second gun on your hip or SOB. Switch to a thigh holster for when you break out the big guns and tactical vest.

Second: Too many calibers. You're looking at 5 different pistol calibers and 6 brands. Drop the .40 PPS for a 9mm version. I think the Seecamp LWS in .380 would be a much better choice than a .357 derringer. It's shorter, half the weight, and reloads faster with more ammo. It quite literally will fit in you palm, and .380 is probably easier to get than .357 in Europe.

I might drop the Px4 Sub-compact for a Glock 26, just for simplicity's sake and mag commonality, but whatever you want.

Finally, get a TT-33 or similar weapon. Anything old and chambered for 7.62x25. You need a weapon that penetrates bulletproof vests and doesn't scream "Professional with stolen military-grade ammo". Discrete is nice. Same with your sniper rifle. You may want something more common. And your Remington 870 should have a top-fold stock on it. I don't care how short the barrel, you need to be able to aim sometimes. Top-fold stock (Be prepared), Surefire weapons light pump, and a receiver-mounter shell holder are all good.

So basically: 2 Glock 19s, one in shoulder holster the one on hip. Single gun in thigh holster for tactical work.
PPS (9mm)
Px4 Sub-Compact (9mm)
Glock 36 (45ACP)
Seecamp LWS (.380)
FN Five-seveN (5.7x28)
TT-33 (7.62x25)
Yes, I just added another caliber while trying to simplify.:rolleyes:
Pocket knife
Boot knife

And as for backup weapons, use your perverted guy imagination for where to stick them.:o She's a woman, the old "pistol in the garter belt" trick probably won't work, but in your bra or an inside-thigh holster (If wearing a suitably short skirt/dress) will.

Like I said before, approach this like you're playing Fallout. Loot the dead, sell the guns, keep the ammo. And stash some guns somewhere else, just in case.

2wingo 02-14-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38017)
You've got several problems. First is that anyone with double shoulder holsters is: A. A mall ninja guaranteed to be laughed at by anyone with a clue about guns. 2. Lacking places to put spare mags. Yes, you could put them on your belt but why do that when you've got a shoulder holster. D. Going to have hard time with anything else. That double shoulder holster might be nice, but you can't use it with you tactical vest. I'd go with a single shoulder holster and a second gun on your hip or SOB. Switch to a thigh holster for when you break out the big guns and tactical vest.

So, one under the shoulder and one on the hip for standard operations; duel-thigh holsters for heavier situations. Got it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38017)
Second: Too many calibers. You're looking at 5 different pistol calibers and 6 brands. Drop the .40 PPS for a 9mm version. I think the Seecamp LWS in .380 would be a much better choice than a .357 derringer. It's shorter, half the weight, and reloads faster with more ammo. It quite literally will fit in you palm, and .380 is probably easier to get than .357 in Europe.

I can't believe I haven't mentioned it thus far: the story takes place in New York City, the Canadian Wilderness, and possibly New Orleans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38017)
I might drop the Px4 Sub-compact for a Glock 26, just for simplicity's sake and mag commonality, but whatever you want.

Finally, get a TT-33 or similar weapon. Anything old and chambered for 7.62x25. You need a weapon that penetrates bulletproof vests and doesn't scream "Professional with stolen military-grade ammo". Discrete is nice. Same with your sniper rifle. You may want something more common. And your Remington 870 should have a top-fold stock on it. I don't care how short the barrel, you need to be able to aim sometimes. Top-fold stock (Be prepared), Surefire weapons light pump, and a receiver-mounter shell holder are all good.

I'm kind of stuck on the sniper rifle, since it's the only one I can find that is A.) chambered for a commonly available caliber, B.) light and easily taken-down, and C.) has a decent magazine capacity. And the problem with the shotgun is that, with the stock extended, it's too long for someone as short as Hanna and not as good in close quarters. How about a Mossberg 500 JIC II with a detachable M4-type adjustable stock? As I may or may not have said before, I don't intend to have her carry into combat as a regular thing, it's for keeping wherever she's living in case she's attacked there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38017)
So basically: 2 Glock 19s, one in shoulder holster the one on hip. Single gun in thigh holster for tactical work.
PPS (9mm)
Px4 Sub-Compact (9mm)
Glock 36 (45ACP)
Seecamp LWS (.380)
FN Five-seveN (5.7x28)
TT-33 (7.62x25)
Yes, I just added another caliber while trying to simplify.:rolleyes:
Pocket knife
Boot knife

And as for backup weapons, use your perverted guy imagination for where to stick them.:o She's a woman, the old "pistol in the garter belt" trick probably won't work, but in your bra or an inside-thigh holster (If wearing a suitably short skirt/dress) will.

Like I said before, approach this like you're playing Fallout. Loot the dead, sell the guns, keep the ammo. And stash some guns somewhere else, just in case.

Unfortunately, there is no communication between the "perverted imagination" part of my brain and the "writer" part, so I'm forced to only consider practicality and awesomeness (kind of hard to reconcile the 2).

For her non gun weapons, I was thinking a folding Emerson kerambit, a Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife, and an Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Smatchet.

Mandolin 02-14-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38031)
So, one under the shoulder and one on the hip for standard operations; duel-thigh holsters for heavier situations. Got it.

I'd go with one thigh holster for heavier situations, unless you want incessant Laura Croft jokes. (Hm. Hanna/Hit Girl/Young Lara Croft?) That's an extra couple pounds better spent on more mags for your rifle, water, armor, or being able to move. Her actress is about 120lb, so less weight is good

Quote:

I can't believe I haven't mentioned it thus far: the story takes place in New York City, the Canadian Wilderness, and possibly New Orleans.
How'd she get here from Europe? Try setting it in a state that isn't rabidly gun-phobic as well. And drop the G36C completely. An M4A1/M733/M933/M4gry uses readily available and cheap M16 mags. You won't find G36 parts easily or for decent prices in the US. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Quote:

I'm kind of stuck on the sniper rifle, since it's the only one I can find that is A.) chambered for a commonly available caliber, B.) light and easily taken-down, and C.) has a decent magazine capacity. And the problem with the shotgun is that, with the stock extended, it's too long for someone as short as Hanna and not as good in close quarters. How about a Mossberg 500 JIC II with a detachable M4-type adjustable stock? As I may or may not have said before, I don't intend to have her carry into combat as a regular thing, it's for keeping wherever she's living in case she's attacked there.
The shotgun sounds good, the sniper rifle might need more thought. Maybe an AR-15 in .308? Could she use a Benelli M4 Super 90, just keep the stock collapsed.

Quote:

Unfortunately, there is no communication between the "perverted imagination" part of my brain and the "writer" part, so I'm forced to only consider practicality and awesomeness (kind of hard to reconcile the 2).
For her non gun weapons, I was thinking a folding Emerson kerambit, a Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife, and an Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Smatchet.
I have no clue about the knifes, but there should be inside-thigh holsters (See the first episode of Warehouse 13).

commando552 02-14-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38035)
The shotgun sounds good, the sniper rifle might need more thought. Maybe an AR-15 in .308? Could she use a Benelli M4 Super 90, just keep the stock collapsed.

The Paratus is pretty much an "AR-15 in .308" which has been designed to be takedown, you will not find another gun in its class that breaks down as small. You might wan't to go with the 16" barrel version for a bit more range (think it fits in the same size case) or even the 18" barrel DMR version (case is slightly bigger but still pretty small).

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38005)
Wow, a more perfect sniper rifle for Hanna's needs really could not exist (at least not until they figure out a way to make the .408 CheyTac M-200 Intervention fit into a briefcase).

If you do not need it to be a semi auto, there is also the Nemesis Arms Vanquish, which is pretty much a takedown mini CheyTac.

Spartan198 02-14-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 37995)
Side note: I was orginally planning for this story to be a crossover with "Kick-Ass," but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it to be about Hanna alone.

Probably for the best. I enjoy both movies and all, but can't conceivably see Hanna and Kick-Ass existing in the same universe as a serious setting.

Mandolin 02-14-2013 10:54 PM

The Vanquish should work, but I'm not sure she needs long-range firepower. She's great in close quarters, but I doubt she has any long-range skill. Also, she should still have Marissa's Walther PP (.32 ACP) with suppressor and shoulder holster. I'd get her a Luger P08 as well, she had one in Finland and is might be nice to have one now. Same with a bow, she knows how to use one and going Robin Hood on bad guys is cool.

Slightly off-topic, but does she have friends in the fanfic? Aside from the bonus of having a second person to watch your back, she's still a naive teen with very little idea how the world works. She could seriously use a big-sister sidekick. I'd give her 2 buddies. Ass-kicking big sister type to cover her six in combat (two is always better than one) and teach her how the world-and, more importantly, :Dboys:confused:- work. And a slightly nerdish type (male or female) to act as driver (fast getaways are nice) and be the adult of the group.

That said, they should try to follow the law. Try to avoid full-auto, and put all the suppressors and any SBR/SBS in an NFA trust. AR pistols could work as a substitute for assault rifles sometimes.

Yes, I just gave her 3 more guns, a bow, and 2 more people to give guns:eek:. But by herself, she can't do too much and remember, she can't even get a hotel room, too young.

2wingo 02-15-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38043)
The Vanquish should work, but I'm not sure she needs long-range firepower. She's great in close quarters, but I doubt she has any long-range skill. Also, she should still have Marissa's Walther PP (.32 ACP) with suppressor and shoulder holster. I'd get her a Luger P08 as well, she had one in Finland and is might be nice to have one now. Same with a bow, she knows how to use one and going Robin Hood on bad guys is cool.

Actually, I think with practice, a long-ranged attacked wouldn't be too hard for her. Real-life sniping is, after all, largely a matter of having a complex understanding of physics, geometry, and all the little variables in you own equipment. Given the sort of education she had while she and Eric were sequestered in the forest, I wouldn't put it past him to have made sure she was educated in those things. But the more I think about it, maybe giving her a compound bow would be a better choice than a sniper rifle. Maybe a custom-made one with a scope and laser rangefinder.

I was planning to have her trade Marissa's Walther PP (it was the .380 version, by the way) along with the cash needed to obtain her new weapons from a black market arms dealer (I seriously doubt she'd want to keep it). She would still keep her father's Beretta and Luger, but keep them in her home as momentos rather than use them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38043)
Slightly off-topic, but does she have friends in the fanfic? Aside from the bonus of having a second person to watch your back, she's still a naive teen with very little idea how the world works. She could seriously use a big-sister sidekick. I'd give her 2 buddies. Ass-kicking big sister type to cover her six in combat (two is always better than one) and teach her how the world-and, more importantly, :Dboys:confused:- work. And a slightly nerdish type (male or female) to act as driver (fast getaways are nice) and be the adult of the group.

Since I scrapped the idea of making this a crossover with "Kick-Ass," I was planning to have her still be rather hesitant to get close to people, although she is still in contact with that family she met in the film. She has a job working as a delivery girl at a restaurant in Queens. She has a small apartment a block or so away. This takes place a year after the movie, making her 17 and thus a legal adult in New York. In that time, she's learned how to ride a motorcycle, gotten a GED, committed to memory various maps of NYC, and learned how to convert semi-automatic firearms to full-auto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38043)
That said, they should try to follow the law. Try to avoid full-auto, and put all the suppressors and any SBR/SBS in an NFA trust. AR pistols could work as a substitute for assault rifles sometimes.

Yes, I just gave her 3 more guns, a bow, and 2 more people to give guns:eek:. But by herself, she can't do too much and remember, she can't even get a hotel room, too young.


SBR, SBS, NFA Trust, I don't know what ANY of those things are.

Spartan198 02-15-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38050)
SBR, SBS, NFA Trust, I don't know what ANY of those things are.

SBR = Short Barreled Rifle. Another name for subcompacts like the Mk 18 Mod 0 and G36C.

SBS = Short Barreled Shotgun.

NFA Trust = http://www.guntrustlawyer.net/nfa_trust

Mandolin 02-15-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38050)
Actually, I think with practice, a long-ranged attacked wouldn't be too hard for her. Real-life sniping is, after all, largely a matter of having a complex understanding of physics, geometry, and all the little variables in you own equipment. Given the sort of education she had while she and Eric were sequestered in the forest, I wouldn't put it past him to have made sure she was educated in those things. But the more I think about it, maybe giving her a compound bow would be a better choice than a sniper rifle. Maybe a custom-made one with a scope and laser rangefinder.

Hadn't considered that. But for the love of all that's holy, don't give her a bow like that. A bow should not have a scope or laser rangefinder. It's kind of short-range to need one and looks utterly retarded.

Quote:

I was planning to have her trade Marissa's Walther PP (it was the .380 version, by the way) along with the cash needed to obtain her new weapons from a black market arms dealer (I seriously doubt she'd want to keep it). She would still keep her father's Beretta and Luger, but keep them in her home as momentos rather than use them.
Ok, makes sense. But she doesn't have her Luger or father's Beretta, the Luger's still in End Of The World, Finland (unless the CIA raid team took it) and the Beretta's gone. Eric didn't have it when he got killed, must have lost it/ran out of ammo before then. She'll need to buy new ones.

Quote:

Since I scrapped the idea of making this a crossover with "Kick-Ass," I was planning to have her still be rather hesitant to get close to people, although she is still in contact with that family she met in the film. She has a job working as a delivery girl at a restaurant in Queens. She has a small apartment a block or so away. This takes place a year after the movie, making her 17 and thus a legal adult in New York. In that time, she's learned how to ride a motorcycle, gotten a GED, committed to memory various maps of NYC, and learned how to convert semi-automatic firearms to full-auto.
The family she met it the film is dead, aren't they? Marissa and the creepy tracksuit guy killed them. Supposedly you see missing-persons poster for them later in the film, and I seriously think they were killed. And how are you going to do anything with guns in NYC? You can't open carry, mags over 7 rounds are banned, and concealed carry needs a permit that no 17 year old immigrant is going to get.

Pity you can't have it cross over with Dark Angel. Jessica Alba as Max, another genetically engineered child soldier (X5-452), just have Max willing to use guns. The timing wouldn't work though (Max was born in 2000 and is in post-EMP 2019 Seatle.) Then again, you could handwave it and have Hanna be an X1 or X2 prototype.

And don't go full-auto. IRL, full-auto isn't used 99% of the time anyway because it wastes ammo. Also (see below), full-auto will have the government all over you for seriously illegal weaponry.

Quote:

SBR, SBS, NFA Trust, I don't know what ANY of those things are.
It's how you avoid getting in trouble with the ATF for all your illegal goodies. An NFA (National Fire Arms Act of 1934) trust cuts down on the amount of paperwork need for NFA weapons. Rifles with barrels under 16" and shotguns under 18" are legally short-barreled rifle/shotguns. Suppressors are NFA items as well. 10 years in federal prison, do not pass go, do not collect $200 for illegal possession.

Unless you magically handwave the police into not caring and no one ever calls 911 reporting automatic gunfire, it won't work. I'd recommend Vermont or New Hampshire, since they have incredibly loose gun laws and NH doesn't care how old you are. Virginia might be nice, but I moved here from Massachusetts years ago, so I'm biased like that. Still, you get loose gun laws, a decent-size city (Richmond), and is next to Washington, DC. Yes, I'm citing gun laws while trying to arm a genetically modified child soldier.

Am I massively over-thinking all of this?

2wingo 02-15-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38053)
Hadn't considered that. But for the love of all that's holy, don't give her a bow like that. A bow should not have a scope or laser rangefinder. It's kind of short-range to need one and looks utterly retarded.

Yeah, good point. Maybe just a regular compound bow.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38053)
Ok, makes sense. But she doesn't have her Luger or father's Beretta, the Luger's still in End Of The World, Finland (unless the CIA raid team took it) and the Beretta's gone. Eric didn't have it when he got killed, must have lost it/ran out of ammo before then. She'll need to buy new ones.

Between the end of the movie and the start of the fanfic, she went back to the cabin to retrieve whatever personal effects remained there.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38053)
The family she met it the film is dead, aren't they? Marissa and the creepy tracksuit guy killed them. Supposedly you see missing-persons poster for them later in the film, and I seriously think they were killed.

Not necessarily. In a deleted scene on the DVD, Hanna is shown to receive postcards from them, so presumably Marissa let them go after they were interrogated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38053)
And how are you going to do anything with guns in NYC? You can't open carry, mags over 7 rounds are banned, and concealed carry needs a permit that no 17 year old immigrant is going to get.

Let me explain the concept of a black market to you. When a good or service is highly in demand but the legitimate market is made illegal, certain enterprising individuals find ways to get them and then sell them to the people who want them at prices reflecting the availability and risk of obtaining said good or service. One of the benefits of purchasing firearms from such individuals is that they don't care whether or not you are allowed by law to own firearms, they will sell them to you as long as you can meet their price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38053)
Pity you can't have it cross over with Dark Angel. Jessica Alba as Max, another genetically engineered child soldier (X5-452), just have Max willing to use guns. The timing wouldn't work though (Max was born in 2000 and is in post-EMP 2019 Seattle.) Then again, you could handwave it and have Hanna be an X1 or X2 prototype.

I've never seen that show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38053)
And don't go full-auto. IRL, full-auto isn't used 99% of the time anyway because it wastes ammo. Also (see below), full-auto will have the government all over you for seriously illegal weaponry.

True, IRL it's only really used to get your enemy to hunker down while you get into position, but I'd still like Hanna to have weapons that are select-fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38053)
It's how you avoid getting in trouble with the ATF for all your illegal goodies. An NFA (National Fire Arms Act of 1934) trust cuts down on the amount of paperwork need for NFA weapons. Rifles with barrels under 16" and shotguns under 18" are legally short-barreled rifle/shotguns. Suppressors are NFA items as well. 10 years in federal prison, do not pass go, do not collect $200 for illegal possession.

Unless you magically handwave the police into not caring and no one ever calls 911 reporting automatic gunfire, it won't work. I'd recommend Vermont or New Hampshire, since they have incredibly loose gun laws and NH doesn't care how old you are. Virginia might be nice, but I moved here from Massachusetts years ago, so I'm biased like that. Still, you get loose gun laws, a decent-size city (Richmond), and is next to Washington, DC. Yes, I'm citing gun laws while trying to arm a genetically modified child soldier.

Am I massively over-thinking all of this?

All of the consequences and legalities you mentioned are entirely dependant upon one thing: Getting caught. NYC is an enormous city with over 8 million people, a good 80% of which are unlikely to talk to or even call the police for anything less than a full-scale riot or gang war. Considering Hanna's MO of striking quickly at her targets and then vanishing into the night, the chances of this are pretty low.

Mandolin 02-15-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38054)
Yeah, good point. Maybe just a regular compound bow.

Thank you

Quote:

Between the end of the movie and the start of the fanfic, she went back to the cabin to retrieve whatever personal effects remained there.
Makes sense

Quote:

Not necessarily. In a deleted scene on the DVD, Hanna is shown to receive postcards from them, so presumably Marissa let them go after they were interrogated.
Didn't know that

Quote:

Let me explain the concept of a black market to you. When a good or service is highly in demand but the legitimate market is made illegal, certain enterprising individuals find ways to get them and then sell them to the people who want them at prices reflecting the availability and risk of obtaining said good or service. One of the benefits of purchasing firearms from such individuals is that they don't care whether or not you are allowed by law to own firearms, they will sell them to you as long as you can meet their price.
I do understand the concept of the black market.

Quote:

I've never seen that show.
You should check it out, it's good. First season at least, second got bogged down in ancient-conspiracy nonsense.

Quote:

True, IRL it's only really used to get your enemy to hunker down while you get into position, but I'd still like Hanna to have weapons that are select-fire.
Hey, it's your story.

Quote:

All of the consequences and legalities you mentioned are entirely dependent upon one thing: Getting caught. NYC is an enormous city with over 8 million people, a good 80% of which are unlikely to talk to or even call the police for anything less than a full-scale riot or gang war. Considering Hanna's MO of striking quickly at her targets and then vanishing into the night, the chances of this are pretty low.
Part of my concern is simply my being a law-abiding gun nut. The rest is the fact that there are plenty of surveillance cameras, albeit not enough to cover the city. And people are not that apathetic. Pistols in the alley at 1AM will get you an overworked detective and zero interest. Machine-gun fire gets people interested and brings in the FBI and ATF.

BTW, where did she get tactical training? Her father taught her wilderness survival, but being skilled with firearms and urban combat is a very different thing. She'd be fine if you dropped her in Siberia. Fighting trained and well-equipped bad guys if vastly different than fighting a couple tracksuited mooks in the film.

I'm still vastly over-thinking stuff, aren't I?

2wingo 02-16-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38055)
You should check it out, it's good. First season at least, second got bogged down in ancient-conspiracy nonsense.

Will do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38055)
Part of my concern is simply my being a law-abiding gun nut. The rest is the fact that there are plenty of surveillance cameras, albeit not enough to cover the city. And people are not that apathetic. Pistols in the alley at 1AM will get you an overworked detective and zero interest. Machine-gun fire gets people interested and brings in the FBI and ATF.

All the cameras will be able to catch is a thin person wearing black combat fatigues and a motorcycle helmet that completely obscures their face and rides a Kawasaki Ninja with no license plates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38055)
BTW, where did she get tactical training? Her father taught her wilderness survival, but being skilled with firearms and urban combat is a very different thing. She'd be fine if you dropped her in Siberia. Fighting trained and well-equipped bad guys if vastly different than fighting a couple tracksuited mooks in the film.

It was mentioned in the movie that Erik was an FSK operative (Russian Intelligence post-KGB and pre-FSB), so he would have had some degree of military training. In my fanfic world, I plan to have him originally have been a member of the GSG 9 (German elite counter-terrorism unit), who went on to do freelance work for the Russians and then the US. GSG 9 operatives receive training from Hong Kong's Special Duties Unit, Spain's Special Group of Operations, Malaysia's Special Actions Unit, and the US SWAT, so he'd certainly be equipped to teach Hanna about urban warfare.

Mandolin 02-16-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38056)
Will do.

Just for some general info: Max is a genetically engineered fetus born by a surrogate mother. She's enhanced with feline DNA, so in addition to the usual super-soldier strength/memory/endurance/healing/peak human stuff she can see in the dark and jump very high. The downside is that she's got a bar code on the back of her neck that's like part of her DNA or something so she can't loose it. More worryingly, she can't produce enough serotonin, so she needs to get it from pills or drinking milk. Otherwise she gets seizures and might die. The feline DNA also means that she goes into heat thrice a year and starts looking for a guy to have sex with. Did I mention she's normally lesbian? :D
As an added bonus her blood can heal other injured persons, kind of like Claire on Heros.

Quote:

All the cameras will be able to catch is a thin person wearing black combat fatigues and a motorcycle helmet that completely obscures their face and rides a Kawasaki Ninja with no license plates.
Tell you what, I'll stop worrying about the legal aspects of this and just concentrate on the guns.

Quote:

It was mentioned in the movie that Erik was an FSK operative (Russian Intelligence post-KGB and pre-FSB), so he would have had some degree of military training. In my fanfic world, I plan to have him originally have been a member of the GSG 9 (German elite counter-terrorism unit), who went on to do freelance work for the Russians and then the US. GSG 9 operatives receive training from Hong Kong's Special Duties Unit, Spain's Special Group of Operations, Malaysia's Special Actions Unit, and the US SWAT, so he'd certainly be equipped to teach Hanna about urban warfare.
I can buy that. She probably read everything non-classified on urban warfare as well.

2wingo 02-16-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38057)
Just for some general info: Max is a genetically engineered fetus born by a surrogate mother. She's enhanced with feline DNA, so in addition to the usual super-soldier strength/memory/endurance/healing/peak human stuff she can see in the dark and jump very high. The downside is that she's got a bar code on the back of her neck that's like part of her DNA or something so she can't loose it. More worryingly, she can't produce enough serotonin, so she needs to get it from pills or drinking milk. Otherwise she gets seizures and might die. The feline DNA also means that she goes into heat thrice a year and starts looking for a guy to have sex with. Did I mention she's normally lesbian? :D
As an added bonus her blood can heal other injured persons, kind of like Claire on Heros.

Hanna's enhancements are a little more basic. I figured that she'd have more rod cells and fewer cone cells in her eyes, increasing her visual acuity and ability to see contrast (making her better able to see through optical illusions like camoflage, two-way mirrors, etc.), increased musculature in and around her eyeballs (allowing her to adjust the focal length in her eyes to take more accurate shots), and an enhanced metabolism (giving her greater-than-normal strength, endurance, and reflexes).

2wingo 02-18-2013 04:16 AM

Update 3
 
After considerable discussion, I've made quite a few changes, and I think I've narrowed it down to guns that will not be too big for the protagonist, are chambered in fairly easy to acquire ammunition, and not too difficult to acquire replacement parts for.

Assault Rifle: Ruger Mini-14 GB-F

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 JIC II (with custom-made, detachable M4-type stock and trigger disconnector removed).

Handgun: duel Glock 19s (one in a shoulder holster, one on the hip).

Submachine Gun: Heckler & Koch MP5SD6 (suppressor baffles reinforced to allow prolonged full-auto fire without risking damage).

Backup Gun: Walther PPS (9mm chambering).

Bladed Weapons: folding Emerson Karambit, Glock Survival Knife 81, Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Smatchet.

2wingo 02-19-2013 06:20 AM

To answer an old question
 
Hanna got to New York from Europe with help from the CIA. Between the movie and my fic, she was approached at her cabin by a member of the more "white hat" elements of the CIA, who felt that they owed her for not only taking out a rogue agent (Marissa) but for helping to eliminate everyone who knew about Project Galinka, which could have caused a public relations catastrophe.

Hanna asked for a legal identity, enough money to get by on until she could support herself, and to be left alone by the CIA for the rest of her life. She chose New York because, having read about it in Erik's books, she liked the idea of a city where she could be around people and disappear into anonymity at the same time.

Mandolin 02-19-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38078)
Hanna got to New York from Europe with help from the CIA. Between the movie and my fic, she was approached at her cabin by a member of the more "white hat" elements of the CIA, who felt that they owed her for not only taking out a rogue agent (Marissa) but for helping to eliminate everyone who knew about Project Galinka, which could have caused a public relations catastrophe.

Hanna asked for a legal identity, enough money to get by on until she could support herself, and to be left alone by the CIA for the rest of her life. She chose New York because, having read about it in Erik's books, she liked the idea of a city where she could be around people and disappear into anonymity at the same time.

Seems good. Though I'd make it clear she doesn't fully trust the CIA and has multiple back-up/escape plans just in case. Also, why the Mini-14 instead of an AR-15? It's much rarer, with parts and magazines correspondingly scarce. If you want it due to the side-folding stock, you might check out the HK416C carbine with the much shorter stock. Or the Z-M LR300. There's got to be several ARs with side-fold stocks.
Here's some links: http://www.rbprecision.com/id51.htm
http://www.impactguns.com/rock-river...ne-lr1297.aspx

Why'd you switch to a Mossberg rather than a Remington for the shotgun?
FYI, check out the pictures of Lyndsy Fonseca with the Bennelli Nova on the Nikita Season 2 page. She about 1-2 inches shorter than Saoirse Ronan, who played Hanna.

I might give her a Kel-Tec PMR-30 as a car/motorcycle gun. 30 rounds of .22 Magnum is nice when you're trying to drive and shoot. It's no elephant gun, but it can still kill. You could always make it full-auto.

The CIA can do one better than giving her a new identity. They can make her a US citizen. In 1949, Congress passed the so-called 100 Persons Act, allowing the CIA to make 100 aliens a year US Citizens. That's what she wants. Thank you, Tom Clancy!

Wait a second, if she's not fighting the CIA, who is she fighting? 17 ounce soft drinks?:)

S&Wshooter 02-19-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38081)
Seems good. Though I'd make it clear she doesn't fully trust the CIA and has multiple back-up/escape plans just in case. Also, why the Mini-14 instead of an AR-15? It's much rarer, with parts and magazines correspondingly scarce. If you want it due to the side-folding stock, you might check out the HK416C carbine with the much shorter stock. Or the Z-M LR300. There's got to be several ARs with side-fold stocks.

Yeah, but you can't walk into a normal gun shop and buy a HK416C or Z-M LR300 like you can (well, could up until recently) the Mini-14, so I guess it was chosen because it is relatively easy to acquire

Mandolin 02-19-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 38082)
Yeah, but you can't walk into a normal gun shop and buy a HK416C or Z-M LR300 like you can (well, could up until recently) the Mini-14, so I guess it was chosen because it is relatively easy to acquire

She's buying full-auto off the black market, normal gun shop is not where she's going.

2wingo 02-21-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38081)
Seems good. Though I'd make it clear she doesn't fully trust the CIA and has multiple back-up/escape plans just in case.

Definitely. She'll have a few "off-the-grid" hidey-holes in various parts of the city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38081)
Also, why the Mini-14 instead of an AR-15? It's much rarer, with parts and magazines correspondingly scarce. If you want it due to the side-folding stock, you might check out the HK416C carbine with the much shorter stock. Or the Z-M LR300. There's got to be several ARs with side-fold stocks.
Here's some links: http://www.rbprecision.com/id51.htm
http://www.impactguns.com/rock-river...ne-lr1297.aspx

I'm just gonna level with you, I don't LIKE the AR-15/M16 variants. They just don't click with my sense of aesthetics. If it's my only option, I'll take it, but if I can find something that does the job just as well or better, I'll go for that first.

Speaking of, I'm thinking about revisiting my first choice, the LWRC M6A2 PSD in 6.8 Remington SPC. I know the 6.8 hasn't seen much in the way of military use (excepting the Jordanian Army), but I've spoken to a lot of hunters and they all agree that they prefer it over the .223 Remington. Plenty of manufacturers make assault rifles chambered for the 6.8, so it won't be that hard to acquire. And the PSD fulfills all of Hanna's needs.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38081)
Why'd you switch to a Mossberg rather than a Remington for the shotgun?
FYI, check out the pictures of Lyndsy Fonseca with the Benelli Nova on the Nikita Season 2 page. She about 1-2 inches shorter than Saoirse Ronan, who played Hanna.

The Mossberg JIC's 6+1 capacity seemed a better choice than the Remington WP's 4+1, coupled with the fact that you can attach a stock to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38081)
The CIA can do one better than giving her a new identity. They can make her a US citizen. In 1949, Congress passed the so-called 100 Persons Act, allowing the CIA to make 100 aliens a year US Citizens. That's what she wants. Thank you, Tom Clancy!

Wait a second, if she's not fighting the CIA, who is she fighting? 17 ounce soft drinks?:)

I figured that I'd have them smooth things over at Immigration by falsifying Erik's background to say that he was a naturalized citizen at the time of Hanna's birth, making Hanna a citizen by jus sanguinis. A forged birth certificate later, and her cover is complete.

I plan to have Hanna try to live a peaceful life in New York, but seeing crime happen without punishment, coupled with the stress of life in a big city, causes her killing instincts to come out and drive her to vigilantism.

Mandolin 02-23-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38088)
Definitely. She'll have a few "off-the-grid" hidey-holes in various parts of the city.

Good

Quote:

I'm just gonna level with you, I don't LIKE the AR-15/M16 variants. They just don't click with my sense of aesthetics. If it's my only option, I'll take it, but if I can find something that does the job just as well or better, I'll go for that first.
That's your choice. But you can't do much customization with a Mini-14, and I personally think it's too 1980s.

Quote:

Speaking of, I'm thinking about revisiting my first choice, the LWRC M6A2 PSD in 6.8 Remington SPC. I know the 6.8 hasn't seen much in the way of military use (excepting the Jordanian Army), but I've spoken to a lot of hunters and they all agree that they prefer it over the .223 Remington. Plenty of manufacturers make assault rifles chambered for the 6.8, so it won't be that hard to acquire. And the PSD fulfills all of Hanna's needs.
I personally think think 5.56 is better, but it's your story. Have fun trying to find any though. And get the SD3 rather than the SD6. Three-round burst is unnecessary.

Also, I might try the Kel-Tec RFB for her sniper rifle. A bullpup forward-ejecting 7.62 NATO rifle that takes FN FAL mags could be good. And you could switch between 18, 24, and 30 inch barrels as needed.

What sort of accessories are you giving her? What kind of dot/holographic sight, weaponslights, etc.

Quote:

The Mossberg JIC's 6+1 capacity seemed a better choice than the Remington WP's 4+1, coupled with the fact that you can attach a stock to it.
Sounds good.

Quote:

I figured that I'd have them smooth things over at Immigration by falsifying Erik's background to say that he was a naturalized citizen at the time of Hanna's birth, making Hanna a citizen by jus sanguinis. A forged birth certificate later, and her cover is complete.

I plan to have Hanna try to live a peaceful life in New York, but seeing crime happen without punishment, coupled with the stress of life in a big city, causes her killing instincts to come out and drive her to vigilantism.
You don't need an assault rifle to stop muggings, find some serious criminals to fight. Drug/human smugglers? Mafia? Would-be terrorists?

Oh, and my comment about unconventional carry of weapons? Bra Holster.
http://flashbangholsters.publishpath.com/

2wingo 02-24-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38109)

That's your choice. But you can't do much customization with a Mini-14, and I personally think it's too 1980s.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38109)
I personally think think 5.56 is better, but it's your story. Have fun trying to find any though. And get the SD3 rather than the SD6. Three-round burst is unnecessary.

Yeah, good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38109)
Also, I might try the Kel-Tec RFB for her sniper rifle. A bullpup forward-ejecting 7.62 NATO rifle that takes FN FAL mags could be good. And you could switch between 18, 24, and 30 inch barrels as needed.

What sort of accessories are you giving her? What kind of dot/holographic sight, weaponslights, etc.

I just looked that one up, and dear God, does Kel-Tec make anything that DOESN'T look like a gorilla had rough sex with a Ruger Mini-14 bullpup? Anyhow, I'm just gonna stick with her compound bow for long-range shots.

I'm gonna need a little help with accessories, because aside from the 100mm spotting scope with an attached coaxial 30mm finderscope she'll use to plan out her longer-range shots, I don't really know much about them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38109)
You don't need an assault rifle to stop muggings, find some serious criminals to fight. Drug/human smugglers? Mafia? Would-be terrorists?

Oh, and my comment about unconventional carry of weapons? Bra Holster.
http://flashbangholsters.publishpath.com/

She'll start off with muggers, car thieves, and the like, but she'll attract the attention of bigger underworld players after she torches a truckload of heroin with a Molotov cocktail.

2wingo 06-17-2013 11:54 PM

MAN, did I have it @ss-backwards
 
It just hit me how stupid it was to try to come up with all those high-end, modern firearms for Hanna. Now only would that not make for very good character exploration (a girl trained to survival with the barest minimum of resources suddenly having access to the best of everything? Boring!), but being able to get all of those from street-level illegal arms dealers pushes the suspension of disbelief a little TOO far. So how's THIS for a list:

Primary Handgun: FEG P9R in 9mm Parabellum (kept in crossdraw shoulder holster).

Assault Rifle: AK-102 carbine in 5.56mm NATO.

Sub-Machine Gun: Smith & Wesson Model 76 in 9mm Parabellum.

Shotgun: 12-gauge Ithaca 37 (5-shot capacity with sawn-off barrel and stock).

Back-up Guns: Walther PPS in 9mm Parabellum (8-round magazine; kept in "small-of-the-back" belt holster) and Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight in .38 Special (+P loads; kept in ankle holster).


She'll use a compound bow with fixed-blade, steel broadhead arrows for long-range, silent kills. She'll also carry a Soviet NR-40 combat knife on her belt and an Emerson folding karambit in her pocket.

Mandolin 06-18-2013 03:55 PM

Nice to see this isn't dead. But your weapons selection is IMO bad again.
The Hi-Power clone should be OK, but I would go with Glock or SiG. Modern, compact, readily available parts, just better. You should be able to get one anywhere in the US

AK-102: Absolutely not. Never. Ever. You want to have a gun that no one else in the USA has, with spare parts unavailable, and very limited options for accessories. I think I said this earlier, but if you're in the US and using 5.56, it's basically AR-15 or nothing. About 6 minor nations use the AK-102, and the nearest is Venezuela. That's where spare parts are coming from.
Get an AR-15. I'd have 10.5, 14.5, and maybe 16" barreled uppers for it. That would allow you to go CQB or snipe just by changing the upper. Like I said before, when in Rome, do as the Romans.

S&W M76: Another bad choice. There were never a whole lot of them, and production ended 40 years ago. Spare parts are an issue, ergonomics are probably bad, and you can't put dot sight and other goodies on it. I would recommend...almost anything else. Uzi/Mini Uzi, MP5A3, MP5K-PDW, B&T MP9.
A TEC-9 might be nice if you need a disposable SMG. Essentially, anything in 9x19, with readily available spare parts.

Shotgun: Good choice, but very limiting. I'd go with the Mossberg JIC you picked earlier.

Back-ups: good choices. But get a good-quality hip holster for your primary pistol, and don't carry all 3 pistols at once. Completely unnecessary and heavy.

Also, you know the AKMSU? I think that if you got one of those it would make a nice concealable assault rifle. Use 20-round mags, put a mini red dot on a railed handgrip, and practice opening the stock while drawing. Serious short-range firepower, if very noisy.

BTW, I came across a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfic were Dr. Walsh (evil doctor lady from Season 4) and Marissa worked together, so Hanna ends up joining up with Buffy (who's joined the Army) and Jason Bourne to take her out. Want a link?

commando552 06-18-2013 06:28 PM

If you want guns that would be readily available to criminals, if memory serves S&W 9mm automatics are one of the more commonly used higher end pistols used by criminals, so you could go with something like a 5906 or 915 for the primary, or a 3913 for the secondary. Also, Mossberg 500s are the most common pump action used by criminals so I would go with a variant of that.

Like Mandolin said an AR-15 carbine is pretty much a no brainer for the AR, and it has the advantage that it is easy to convert to full auto. Similarly for the SMG you could go for a Colt one, maybe a Model 991, or if you want something shorter maybe the Model 633 (this is pretty rare, but it is pretty much just a chopped down 635 so wouldn't be hard to mod one to this spec).

2wingo 06-19-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 39257)
Shotgun: Good choice, but very limiting. I'd go with the Mossberg JIC you picked earlier.

What exactly is "limiting" about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 39257)
Back-ups: good choices. But get a good-quality hip holster for your primary pistol, and don't carry all 3 pistols at once. Completely unnecessary and heavy.

She'll carry only her primary and the Walther when she's on patrol. The S&W is her "off-duty" gun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 39257)
BTW, I came across a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfic were Dr. Walsh (evil doctor lady from Season 4) and Marissa worked together, so Hanna ends up joining up with Buffy (who's joined the Army) and Jason Bourne to take her out. Want a link?

No thanks, I'm not really into either Buffy or Jason Bourne. Although I do have a few ideas for a Hanna/Dirty Harry crossover.

Mandolin 06-20-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 39263)
What exactly is "limiting" about it?

No stock is bad, much harder to aim. A top or side-folding stock would be nice. The short barrel is OK.

Quote:

She'll carry only her primary and the Walther when she's on patrol. The S&W is her "off-duty" gun.
Sounds good.

Quote:

No thanks, I'm not really into either Buffy or Jason Bourne. Although I do have a few ideas for a Hanna/Dirty Harry crossover.
Ok, I just found that the author managed several very impressive things: A. He wrote a good fanfic, and used good grammar. B. He wrote Buffy first-person very well. C. The military was portrayed correctly and competent. Pretty sure the author is current/former military, it's that good IMO. D. The crossovers work. It crosses over with Predator, Bourne, Hanna, Splinter Cell, The A-team, Bionic Man and Bionic Woman, The Exorsist (No, seriously) and a couple others and IMO does it well.

2wingo 06-20-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 39268)
No stock is bad, much harder to aim. A top or side-folding stock would be nice. The short barrel is OK.


Sounds good.


Ok, I just found that the author managed several very impressive things: A. He wrote a good fanfic, and used good grammar. B. He wrote Buffy first-person very well. C. The military was portrayed correctly and competent. Pretty sure the author is current/former military, it's that good IMO. D. The crossovers work. It crosses over with Predator, Bourne, Hanna, Splinter Cell, The A-team, Bionic Man and Bionic Woman, The Exorsist (No, seriously) and a couple others and IMO does it well.

Okay, we'll go back to the Mossberg 500 JIC II, swap the Hi-Power clone with a SIG-Sauer P228, and replace the AK with the Colt Model 933. How's that?

2wingo 06-23-2013 01:44 AM

Okay, I think I've finally got a good list
 
Primary Handguns: Duel SIG-Sauer P228s in 9mm Parabellum (one kept in hip holster, one in shoulder holster).

Assault Rifle: Colt Model 933 carbine in 5.56mm NATO.

Shotgun: 12-gauge Mossberg 500 JIC II (00 buckshot, pistol-grip modified to attached 6-position M4 stock).

Sub-Machine Gun: IMI Mini-Uzi in 9mm Parabellum.

Back-Up Guns: Walther PPS in 9mm Parabellum (8-round magazine, kept in "small-of-the-back" belt holster), Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight in .38 Special (+P loads, kept in ankle holster).

Other Weapons: Soviet NR-40 combat knife, Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, Emerson folding combat karambit, Kubotan.

Mandolin 06-23-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 39281)
Primary Handguns: Duel SIG-Sauer P228s in 9mm Parabellum (one kept in hip holster, one in shoulder holster).

Assault Rifle: Colt Model 933 carbine in 5.56mm NATO.

Shotgun: 12-gauge Mossberg 500 JIC II (00 buckshot, pistol-grip modified to attached 6-position M4 stock).

Sub-Machine Gun: IMI Mini-Uzi in 9mm Parabellum.

Back-Up Guns: Walther PPS in 9mm Parabellum (8-round magazine, kept in "small-of-the-back" belt holster), Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight in .38 Special (+P loads, kept in ankle holster).

Other Weapons: Soviet NR-40 combat knife, Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, Emerson folding combat karambit, Kubotan.

Pretty good. But IMO only carry 1 P228 at a time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.