imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thoughts on folks profitting from OUR images (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2557)

MoviePropMaster2008 04-11-2018 08:06 AM

Thoughts on folks profitting from OUR images

As you guys well know, I've been photographing guns for IMFDB for a long time now. Many of my pics are originals which I shot JUST FOR IMFDB. I gave IMFDB (and only this site) free license to use my pics however they wanted. From time to time I catch others using my images for commercial purposes. I recently caught a company selling a poster of rifles and about half the images were MY pics from IMFDB.

He's charging about 12 bucks a poster.

I usually don't care if other people steal our pics for their own personal use, but using it to make money seems wrong.

I wish he would credit IMFDB or at least contribute a portion of his profits to IMFDB (and Bunni) to keep the site going.

Thoughts?

Evil Tim 04-11-2018 09:25 AM

Sending him a cease and desist would probably be a good starting point.

Jcordell 04-12-2018 03:38 AM

Sounds logical to me.

Mazryonh 04-12-2018 07:03 PM

I've had people on other wikis lift my video game screenshots for use on wikis catering to specific video game series. Of course, since I don't actually own the rights to these games, I can't really complain, but I'd appreciate it if they credited me somewhere on those wikis for my screenshots.

Spartan198 04-13-2018 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazryonh (Post 44240)
I've had people on other wikis lift my video game screenshots for use on wikis catering to specific video game series. Of course, since I don't actually own the rights to these games, I can't really complain, but I'd appreciate it if they credited me somewhere on those wikis for my screenshots.

A small, seemingly insignificant gesture like that can go a long way.

MoviePropMaster2008 04-13-2018 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 44237)
Sending him a cease and desist would probably be a good starting point.

I'd rather he either GIVE IMFDB credit or give money to Bunni. :(

Anything to do with lawyers costs money.

S&Wshooter 04-13-2018 04:14 AM

The solution is simple and clear: rob them, as they robbed you

at gunpoint, though

commando552 04-13-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 44244)
I'd rather he either GIVE IMFDB credit or give money to Bunni. :(

Anything to do with lawyers costs money.

How is he selling the artwork? If it is on anything other than a personnal website there is more than likely a way that you can just report it and the website will have the items removed and it wouldn't cost you anything.

Mazryonh 04-13-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44242)
A small, seemingly insignificant gesture like that can go a long way.

But who in this day and age teaches newer generations to do this stuff? A lot of people take stuff on the internet for granted given the ease of copying stuff.