imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   S&w m&p9 (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1021)

S&Wshooter 04-17-2010 04:23 AM

S&w m&p9

Okay, I've finally made up my mind about what my next pistol is going to be after I handled a CZ-75 a little whil back and notice the slide is hard to use if you have shovel-hands like me. That same day I handled an M&P and immediately fell in love with it (plus it won't cost me too much more than the CZ). If I can't find one for a reasonable price, then fuck it- I'll get a 5906

MT2008 04-17-2010 06:59 PM

I'd just get the 5906. I handled an M&P 40 not too long ago and didn't like the feel of the grip angle. I also think it's ugly (which is how I feel about a lot of new handguns these days, but the M&P especially).

S&Wshooter 04-17-2010 08:13 PM

I already have a 4506 though, so it would almost like buying the same pistol twice. I sort of want the M&P so that I will own at least one "new" pistol (all my other ones are used except the High Standard, which I am trying to sell) and a 9mm

MT2008 04-18-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13085)
I already have a 4506 though, so it would almost like buying the same pistol twice. I sort of want the M&P so that I will own at least one "new" pistol (all my other ones are used except the High Standard, which I am trying to sell) and a 9mm

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a 5906 even if you have a 4506. I own a SIG 226, but I also plan to own a 228 or 229 eventually. If you are a fan of a particular brand or line, then it's perfectly fine to have more than one version.

Buying a "new" pistol for the sake of having one just seems kinda superfluous. I tend to buy used, older-model pistols instead of their newer counterparts, and I think it's sensible to do so because in my experience, a lot of guns made today are crap compared to their older counterparts.

S&Wshooter 04-18-2010 03:28 AM

The problem with getting a 5906 is that there aren't any for sale around here, and if you can find one it isn't usually in that great of condition. I'll probably just end up getting the M&P because it's easy to get, within my price range and I like how it feels

Yournamehere 04-18-2010 03:37 AM

I agree with Matt, but on top of all that, the 5906 will be cheaper a little easier to maintain, and in my opinion, it's a better gun. Having it's big brother, the 4506, shouldn't deter you from getting it at all, especially if you like it and the way it works. It's more or less the same reason I got a Hi-Power after using a 1911 for so long.

I also wouldn't give up on the CZ so soon if you really need a "new" gun. The slide is a bit hard to actuate, but that's about all that's "wrong" with it, and over time I'm sure you'll get used to it. More than likely it'll be cheaper than an M&P too (even in stainless steel) and again, is the better gun in my opinion.

Guess I'm not a "new" gun or M&P fan either.

S&Wshooter 04-18-2010 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 13099)
I agree with Matt, but on top of all that, the 5906 will be cheaper a little easier to maintain, and in my opinion, it's a better gun. Having it's big brother, the 4506, shouldn't deter you from getting it at all, especially if you like it and the way it works. It's more or less the same reason I got a Hi-Power after using a 1911 for so long.

I also wouldn't give up on the CZ so soon if you really need a "new" gun. The slide is a bit hard to actuate, but that's about all that's "wrong" with it, and over time I'm sure you'll get used to it. More than likely it'll be cheaper than an M&P too (even in stainless steel) and again, is the better gun in my opinion.

Guess I'm not a "new" gun or M&P fan either.

It would be difficult for me to get a 5906 if you were to just think about it. The only S&W's commonly availabe in my area are revolvers, M&P's, Sigma's and compact third generation types which are usually .40 caliber. Also, I refuse to search for a gun for three + years again like I did with the 4506

Yournamehere 04-18-2010 04:49 AM

Forgive me for not knowing your local area sucks with reagrd to gun variety. I assumed you were on the auction site bandwagon like me. In addition to local stores, I use GunBroker, and they pretty much have everything I could think to buy. I guess you don't do that.

MT2008 04-18-2010 01:15 PM

Is it really so hard to find a S&W 5906 in Texas? I remember scourging "Classifieds" on gun boards for a year looking for a German-made SIG P226 for sale in North Carolina. Pretty much nobody in NC had such a gun. Then I moved to Texas. Within a month, I found somebody who had the gun I wanted, and I bought it FTF. It makes me wish I was still in Texas. :(

Anyway, is the 5906 really as rare as the 4506? Unlike the 4506, the 5900-series used to be an issue weapon with many PDs in the United States. That means that there are bound to be lots more police trade-in guns floating around. Or at least, that's what I would have thought; maybe I'm wrong.

predator20 04-18-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 13103)
Forgive me for not knowing your local area sucks with reagrd to gun variety. I assumed you were on the auction site bandwagon like me. In addition to local stores, I use GunBroker, and they pretty much have everything I could think to buy. I guess you don't do that.

That's where most of my guns came from. It allows a lot more choice. There is nothing wrong with gun shops if they happen to have the gun you're looking for.

MT2008, Yourname,

I think S&Wshooter is set on an M&P. I have never handed one but don't care the looks of them. But if he likes the way they feel, and the looks by all means go for it. But if my choces were the M&P or the 5906. I'd go with the 5906.

I actually prefer the older style S&W 9mm autos 39, 59, & 459.

As far as the new vs used. Only two of my guns were bought new. The Para GI Expert and the Mini-14. The Para was bought because there no Springfield M1911A1 Mil-specs used or new around. The Mini because the newer ones have a thicker barrel and better optics mounting.

MT2008 04-18-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 13107)
I think S&Wshooter is set on an M&P.

Oh, yeah, if anyone's set on a particular gun, then yeah, it's worth buying.

I just think that buying an M&P only because it's "new" seems like kind of a bad idea. I'm biased here - I prefer all-metal guns over polymer-framed guns (especially silver ones like the 5906), but that's my opinion.

paraordnance 05-23-2010 02:37 AM

I'd get the M&P if were you as it is easier to use and lighter to carry than the 5906. You also get a nice consistent 6.5 pound trigger pull with the M&P as opposed to the 10 pound double action pull on the 5906.

k9870 05-23-2010 03:58 AM

I like DA/SA, besides, and yes, metal feels solid, plastic feels toyish. M&P grip is comfy though and you can switch between clibers easily.

S&Wshooter 06-14-2010 12:02 AM

I went to Collector's Firearms yesterday and I decided I am going to neither the 5906 OR the M&P

I'm getting this:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=34541

I held it and instantly fell in love

Yournamehere 06-14-2010 12:18 AM

559 eh? Nice old Smith. How much are they asking for it? It's only got the decocker on one side, won't that be inconvenient for a lefty like yourself? Old bluing like that is also harder to maintain than a 659 or 5906 made with stainless steel, so it might be better to hold out for a stainless pistol, lest you buy that one and the bluing goes from collector grade to "did they finish this gun with brown?". I've held a 2nd gen before too, and the grips are bearable, but nothing to drool over. Nice gun with character and collector value though, but I can think of a dozen better shooters.

Edit: I saw the price, and 600 bucks seems a bit steep. It's in good condition, and it's an old and fairly rare smith, but I've seen some on GB and over the net go for cheaper than that. I'd try and work out a deal below 600, cause you can get a lot more for that kind of money.

S&Wshooter 06-14-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 14502)
559 eh? Nice old Smith. How much are they asking for it? It's only got the decocker on one side, won't that be inconvenient for a lefty like yourself? Old bluing like that is also harder to maintain than a 659 or 5906 made with stainless steel, so it might be better to hold out for a stainless pistol, lest you buy that one and the bluing goes from collector grade to "did they finish this gun with brown?". I've held a 2nd gen before too, and the grips are bearable, but nothing to drool over. Nice gun with character and collector value though, but I can think of a dozen better shooters.

Edit: I saw the price, and 600 bucks seems a bit steep. It's in good condition, and it's an old and fairly rare smith, but I've seen some on GB and over the net go for cheaper than that. I'd try and work out a deal below 600, cause you can get a lot more for that kind of money.

It was like $545 at the shop. It was in really good condition, and I take care of my guns, so everything willl be cool

About the decocker- I just about never use them. If I want my Smith to be "safe", there won't be a round in the chamber

Yournamehere 06-14-2010 12:43 AM

There will come a time when you have to set the hammer down, and it's always safer to use the decocker. Being a lefty, it will be a pain in the ass to do this, I tried it with my Smith a few times and it was difficult.

As far as taking care of it, I'm sure you take care of them (I'd hope so), but stainless is just that much easier to take care of. I've always been more worried about my blued/parked guns, but the 5906 was always at the back of the list, cause it didn't care.

All the same, I'd go under 500. There's one on GB right now which would be about 450 after fees, in the same condition, minus the box, but I don't need that. If you can shop around and find a 459, it'll be about half the price too, maybe 3-350 and will give you the same good service, and may even have the ambi decocker. I think it's a cool gun too, but you don't want to get struck by the gun love bug and then regret the decision (you overpaid a bit for that 4506 and I'd be a dick not to advise you on this next purchase).

I just looked on their site and they have a 5906 on there too, with the adjustable sights and the squared trigger guard, for 10 bucks less. As an everyday shooting gun, that will fair better. If you decide against that, I might go for it myself.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=36572

S&Wshooter 06-14-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 14507)
There will come a time when you have to set the hammer down, and it's always safer to use the decocker. Being a lefty, it will be a pain in the ass to do this, I tried it with my Smith a few times and it was difficult.

As far as taking care of it, I'm sure you take care of them (I'd hope so), but stainless is just that much easier to take care of. I've always been more worried about my blued/parked guns, but the 5906 was always at the back of the list, cause it didn't care.

All the same, I'd go under 500. There's one on GB right now which would be about 450 after fees, in the same condition, minus the box, but I don't need that. If you can shop around and find a 459, it'll be about half the price too, maybe 3-350 and will give you the same good service, and may even have the ambi decocker. I think it's a cool gun too, but you don't want to get struck by the gun love bug and then regret the decision (you overpaid a bit for that 4506 and I'd be a dick not to advise you on this next purchase).

I just looked on their site and they have a 5906 on there too, with the adjustable sights and the squared trigger guard, for 10 bucks less. As an everyday shooting gun, that will fair better. If you decide against that, I might go for it myself.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=36572

Too bad I don't know anybody who has an FFL.

I have problems with the squared trigger guard on S&W pistols, mainly because they are smaller than round trigger guards, which are uncomfortable

S&Wshooter 06-14-2010 12:49 AM

I'm getting tired of stainless guns anyways. I don't even own a non stainless pistol now that I have given my P22 to my brother and my uncle has my High Standard (It's pretty much his, all he has to do now is give me my $500)

Yournamehere 06-14-2010 12:50 AM

I don't recall too clearly, but the trigger guards size looks about the same to me, and if there is a difference, it's the smallest margin imaginable.

All the same I'd shop around a bit more before putting that kind of money into a Smith auto.

S&Wshooter 06-14-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 14510)
I don't recall too clearly, but the trigger guards size looks about the same to me, and if there is a difference, it's the smallest margin imaginable.

All the same I'd shop around a bit more before putting that kind of money into a Smith auto.

I'm going to be looking around at gun shows. I might look for something with a little bit more mag capacity, but I probably won't find anything (S&W autos are rare in these parts)

Yournamehere 06-14-2010 12:59 AM

14-15 is the 59 series maximum mag capacity with factory mags, but that's always seemed like plenty to me (The Browning is 13, so I'm short a couple, but that;s what skill and reloading is for!).

I actually walked into a pawn shop the other day to look at rifles and as I left I eyed the pistol counter and saw some Glocks, SIGs, a Desert Eagle and a buncha other stuff, but my eyes were drawn to the 459 more than anything else. Great little autos.

S&Wshooter 06-14-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 14512)
14-15 is the 59 series maximum mag capacity with factory mags, but that's always seemed like plenty to me (The Browning is 13, so I'm short a couple, but that;s what skill and reloading is for!).

I actually walked into a pawn shop the other day to look at rifles and as I left I eyed the pistol counter and saw some Glocks, SIGs, a Desert Eagle and a buncha other stuff, but my eyes were drawn to the 459 more than anything else. Great little autos.

It can hold 14-15 rounds? I can only find 10 rnd mags for it. I should have popped the mag out and looked at the capacity when I handled it

Yournamehere 06-14-2010 01:04 AM

Yeah 10 rounds is the capacity... if you have a neutered magazine. Very few if any full size autos hold 10 rounds in their standard, non-neutered magazine.

14 is what the 1st, 2nd and early 3rd gen mags could hold, and then the later 3rd gens allowed 15. All my 5906 mags held 15 rounds. With a Smith, you're not undergunned at all when it comes to capacity, they are the equivalent of any other wondernine.

S&Wshooter 06-14-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 14514)
With a Smith, you're not undergunned at all when it comes to capacity, they are the equivalent of any other wondernine.

S&W 59 series: Wondernines FOR MEN!!!