imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other gun forums (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2171)

Jcordell 03-16-2013 08:37 PM

Other gun forums

One of the first gun forums I ever joined was The High Road back on 03. I finally got very frustrated and stopped going there for a couple years. I went back a couple years ago and for awhile everything was fine, but that forum seems to draw a very extreme element. A pretty unpleasant element.

So today I finally said the hell with it and for the first time I've begun to blast some of the more strident posters on one of the threads. Enough is enough. Now I'm waiting to see if they ban me. Not that I'm trying to get banned, but there comes a point. Say all you want about taking the High Road sometimes it just feels good to wade into something Full Steam Ahead.

SPEMack618 03-16-2013 08:59 PM

heh. Another more generalized forum I frequent has the occassional anti-gun thread. That is where I like to wade in occassionally.

No bans yet, but my "karma" is pretty low.

It keeps me warm. [/Red Dawn]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkman on THR
You win Pretentious Poster of the Year

BRILLANCE!

Jcordell 03-16-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38334)
heh. Another more generalized forum I frequent has the occassional anti-gun thread. That is where I like to wade in occassionally.

No bans yet, but my "karma" is pretty low.

It keeps me warm. [/Red Dawn]

BRILLANCE!

Yeah I know. Real mature, but that Deanimator is a real pain in the neck. He's always doing snide little things like that (insulting you in Latin). Nobody ever tells him that he's an annoying little dork.

SPEMack618 03-16-2013 11:16 PM

Yeah, reading through some threads on THR make me thankful for TFL and this place.

The crazies are at a minimum and non-existent here.

Jcordell 03-16-2013 11:50 PM

Well I stopped going onto THR for a couple years, but then I wandered back. I'm done this time. I like imfdb, Smith & Wesson forum and the Colt forums. They tend to be the calmest (usually) and the most polite.

SPEMack618 03-16-2013 11:54 PM

Yeah, I like the atmosphere here a lot.

Jcordell 03-17-2013 01:30 AM

I've been banned. But it sure felt good to tell those yahoos off after ten years. They allow those guys to insult and berate everyone else (in other words anything but High Road behavior. behavior which violates their own rules) without a peep, but if people who feel different respond in kind they get very morally indignant. Oh well at least I won't be tempted to return anymore. Because I've been banned. Forever.

k9870 03-17-2013 04:40 AM

The whole hijcking of the high road and it being stolen property turn me off, that and its an overmoderated hell hole. I like Glocktalk, its got a lounge, non firearm interest forums to hang out in, and besides the conspiracy theorists and liberal trolls plenty of knowlegeable people

Spartan198 03-17-2013 01:09 PM

Just M4Carbine.net for me, but they apparently restricted my posting rights after I made an inquiry regarding the CQBR and Mk 18.

I've heard about THR and the naming dispute before, though.

Jcordell 03-17-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38342)
Just M4Carbine.net for me, but they apparently restricted my posting rights after I made an inquiry regarding the CQBR and Mk 18.

I've heard about THR and the naming dispute before, though.

Yeah that was when I went away the first time. They two founders were engaged in a legal fight and there were two THR forums in exsistence. As a result the Fringe Element came on really strong and the moderators basically let them take over. I walked away the first time when there was a thread going that said if you call paramedics you're just giving govermental assassins free access to your home. At that point I asked the moderator to remove me from member list, but nobody responded and nothing happened.

Like I said I ended up wandering back and for awhile the forum seemed to have mellowed out, but in the past couple of months the Fringe People have returned. There was a thread attacking cops (that's a very common and popular thread topic on THR nowadays) and the two worst offenders were just stomping all over everybody and the moderator wasn't trying to get it under control. I'd seen posts by those two in the past and I finally had enough. I went wading in firing back at them without any concern (after all it is just an Internet forum) and telling them what I thought of them.

So I was banned.

Oh well. It might have been immature, but it still felt good to tell those two schmucks what I really thought about them.

Spartan198 03-17-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 38344)
there was a thread going that said if you call paramedics you're just giving govermental assassins free access to your home.

That makes... absolutely no sense whatsoever. But then again, conspiracy theorists rarely ever do.

Quote:

So I was banned.
I know what it's like to be targeted by biased mods/admins, I was the recipient of an apparent collusion between two mods on a site because one didn't like an opinion I left in a topic on a product and went on a tirade about how my logic was "faulty", filling it with snide little insults. I respectfully and politely told him off (for lack of a better phrase) and he later went on to directly insult me in several other topics.

Then I got a message from another mod who issued me a warning for "personal attacks". When I responded to him with an attempt to defend myself and discuss these so-called personal attacks that he claimed I made, linking to my initial post and to the other mod's posts where he flamed me, the warning mod promptly cited a vague and unethical rule to "not piss off the staff", issued a second warning, and banned me.

Unfortunately I don't recall exactly how it was all worded while the offending mods deleted all traces of the incident, and I seem to be unable to find the topic on another forum where I posted a transcript of the whole thing to discuss with friends, but the basic outline was a mod didn't like my opinion and I suffered for it.

I'm so glad I can have a dissenting opinion on here and not be punished for it. Now, Checkman, scrap those archaic revolvers of yours and get some quality semi-autos with enough rails to mount the entire US SOPMOD kit on. :p

SPEMack618 03-17-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38342)

I quit going there when I got railed for daring to voice an opinion that the M-4A1 wasn't the best combat carbine ever.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that my CAB, BSM w/V, and PH w/OLC didn't qualify me to disparage the very weapon I carried in combat.

M202 sucks.

And Cordell, they're just jealous because you can probably out shoot them with your old slabsided Sporter with no doo-dads on it.

Jcordell 03-17-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38348)
I'm so glad I can have a dissenting opinion on here and not be punished for it. Now, Checkman, scrap those archaic revolvers of yours and get some quality semi-autos with enough rails to mount the entire US SOPMOD kit on. :p

Ohhhhhh boy. Keep talking like that and you're going to get banned for personal attacks. ;)

Jcordell 03-17-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38349)
And Cordell, they're just jealous because you can probably out shoot them with your old slabsided Sporter with no doo-dads on it.

I know it, I know it. But I shall persevere. :rolleyes:

SPEMack618 03-17-2013 06:23 PM

Even though, a Colt 3x Scope would be pretty nifty.

Just saying. Bring you up to atleast the early '80s.:p

Jcordell 03-17-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38355)
Even though, a Colt 3x Scope would be pretty nifty.

Just saying. Bring you up to atleast the early '80s.:p

Nobody remembers that I also own a Glock 19, Glock 26 and a Browning Buckmark Camper. Geez guys I'm not that old.

SPEMack618 03-17-2013 06:56 PM

I kid. I kid.

Even though you're remark of "it may be old to you, but to me it was last tuesday" has made its way into my work vocabulary.

I deal with a lot of kids who were born with Clinton was in office. Mind boggling.

Jcordell 03-17-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38357)
I kid. I kid.

Even though you're remark of "it may be old to you, but to me it was last tuesday" has made its way into my work vocabulary.

I deal with a lot of kids who were born with Clinton was in office. Mind boggling.

That would be my daughter and son. My daughter is graduating in a couple months from high school. :eek:

I didn't care for the man (still don't), but there is no denying that it was during the eight years of his administration that I went from being a "Young Adult" to being a full fledged adult with all the baggage. So like it or not I'll always associate him with some pretty major events in my life. Weird how things work out.

SPEMack618 03-17-2013 07:10 PM

I always equate the Clinton Administration with Pop's missing Christmas for the first time that I was old enough to realize he was gone.

Operation Deny Flight and all, wierd how things stick in your mind like that.

And I always equate Operation Allied Force with my sister and her bed wetting problem with Clinton, too.

funkychinaman 03-17-2013 07:15 PM

I'm screencapping Season 9 of Law & Order right now (which aired 1998-99), and there are episodes that reference the independent counsel and jokes about presidential DNA samples. Ah, good times...

Jcordell 03-17-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38360)
I'm screencapping Season 9 of Law & Order right now (which aired 1998-99), and there are episodes that reference the independent counsel and jokes about presidential DNA samples. Ah, good times...

Don't forget the cigar jokes.

SPEMack618 03-17-2013 07:27 PM

"Hey, Tony. This is Bill. I'm in hot water with this intern thing. Can we launch a couple of Tomahawks at Iraq?"
"Sure thing, Mister President. We'll call it Desert Fox."
"thanks, gotta go."

funkychinaman 03-17-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38362)
"Hey, Tony. This is Bill. I'm in hot water with this intern thing. Can we launch a couple of Tomahawks at Iraq?"
"Sure thing, Mister President. We'll call it Desert Fox."
"thanks, gotta go."

I was taking a Middle Eastern wars class at the time with a professor who had served with the Reagan administration. He had a lot of fun with it.

BlackIce_GTS 04-07-2013 04:45 AM

I'm here because you guys are the least loony of any gun board I've seen.
Something Awful's gun subform seems okay. A lot of them act like dicks (it's SA!), but they don't take themselves too seriously.
I thought about joining, but I didn't feel like spending 10$ to participate in an internet forum with people who have spent 10$ to participate in an internet forum was a really great idea. For me. Personally.

funkychinaman 04-07-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIce_GTS (Post 38573)
Something Awful's gun subform seems okay. A lot of them act like dicks (it's SA!), but they don't take themselves too seriously.
I thought about joining, but I didn't feel like spending 10$ to participate in an internet forum with people who have spent 10$ to participate in an internet forum was a really great idea. For me. Personally.

Paying to join a forum seems wrong on principle alone.

Rockwolf66 04-07-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Personally I cheered when Uwe Bol beat the hell out of the owner of SomethingAwful. Someone who I knew in junior high and my freshman year of high school posted some BS about me there. When I asked them nicely to remove the post since it used my full name the response was "oh you're still alive". I haven't spoken to the Mods there since, I'm just waiting for the day the site and it's owner is sued into oblivion.

SPEMack618 04-08-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

The Firing Line is pretty good. A lot of good information to be had there. Me and JCordell both post there.

Also, the mods are real good about keeping the chatter about the the boys in blue beret chatter down to a minimum.

Jcordell 04-08-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38579)
The Firing Line is pretty good. A lot of good information to be had there. Me and JCordell both post there.

Also, the mods are real good about keeping the chatter about the the boys in blue beret chatter down to a minimum.

Yes the Firng Line is a good one. I've been a member on TFL since 2001. I haven't come across any of the (endless) paranoid ranting that seems to have taken over The High Road.

A couple other goods ones are the Smith & Wesson forum and the Colt forum. The posters there seem to be more interested in actually talking about guns and gun related stuff rather than black helicopters, U.N. conspiracies and nasty cowardly cops. Hey I know there are some bad cops out there. But we aren't all cowardly S.O.B.'s............................. okay maybe we are S.O.B.'s, but not cowardly or Nazi's.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

http://www.coltforum.com/index.php

SPEMack618 04-08-2013 02:36 AM

And then you have the cowardly nazis, who like to parade about until they mistake any Chrysler product for a T-34. :D

Jcordell 04-08-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38582)
And then you have the cowardly nazis, who like to parade about until they mistake any Chrysler product for a T-34. :D

That's right.

k9870 04-08-2013 02:21 PM

I really like glocktalk, theres generally trouble with mods, like anywhere, but not too much, many gun sections to talk any gun you want and a lounge and hobby forums. Its just, chill, i dont like tfl since its too "professional."

Chitoryu12 04-09-2013 05:25 AM

I don't really go on dedicated gun forums much. They tend to attract way too many nutjobs and extremists. It gets worse if you're in a survivalist community, because then you get the conspiracy theorists.

I was on the Zombie Survival & Defense Wiki a while back (still am, but not nearly as active as I once was) and someone made a thread freaking out and talking about the New World Order when he found a "large ammunition purchase" of .357 SIG. Turns out it was ammo for the Secret Service (the only government agency to use guns in that caliber) and it was about enough ammo to give each member 100 rounds per year for practice.

Typically any bulk purchase of anything by the government tends to result in hysterics of "WHAT ARE THEY USING IT FOR? WHAT ARE THEY PLANNING?"