imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun control laws. Reasonable or stupid? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1025)

Excalibur 04-23-2010 03:35 PM

I've always found that law to be a bit stupid too. At 18, you're considered to be an adult, yet you can't get a handgun or drink until 21.

k9870 04-23-2010 04:53 PM

but you can have an ak-47 or ar-15 clone but no sig or 1911? makes no sense

Spartan198 04-23-2010 07:10 PM

Never made sense to me, either. I've always believed the long gun to be the more dangerous.

Excalibur 04-24-2010 04:46 AM

Well handguns and shorter guns can be concealed very easily under clothes, but then again, if it's cold enough, you can wear a large jacket or trench coat in the city and still carry around an AK or AR-15 carbine under it and still not be suspicious

Spartan198 04-24-2010 07:01 AM

Yeah, that's true. Didn't think of that.

MT2008 04-26-2010 02:38 PM

Semi-auto military-style rifles may be more dangerous (in terms of the number of people you can potentially shoot with one), but statistically, pistols are by far the most common guns used in crime. I'm guessing the logic is to keep them out of the hands of teenage thugs.

Plus, AKs and AR-15s are big, heavy, and expensive. You can hide one beneath a trench coat, but that looks quite suspicious, and it's pretty unwieldy (no matter what you see in the movies).

Excalibur 04-26-2010 07:06 PM

They hide those M733s and Sizemore hid his Gaili pretty well in Heat.

MT2008 04-27-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 13270)
They hide those M733s and Sizemore hid his Gaili pretty well in Heat.

You're not serious, right? Please use emoticons if you're being sarcastic.

Krel 04-27-2010 03:38 AM

A guy at work had one of those crazy law calendars a few years back, and one stood out to me. I don't remember what state it is in, but the law states that it is illegal to carry concealed a weapon over six feet in length!

If you look at it, most looney laws were made for a legitimate reason (such as it is illegal to shoot camels in Phoenix city limits). So, I want to know the reason for this one, and I would really like to see the person that could successfully conceal a weapon over six feet long.

Why is it illegal to shoot camels in Phoenix city limits? After the U.S. Calvary tested camels in the late nineteenth century, they just released them, and the camels multiplied. There were still wild camels in Arizona as late as the nineteen forties.

David.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-08-2010 08:38 PM

This is a very complicated issue.
On the one hand, restricting lawful citizens from having guns is just plain silly. The background checks I understand, but some of the more arbitrary limits(like waiting periods) are sort of pointless seeming.
The same with high-cap magazines. On the one hand, yeah I can just reload if I'm target shooting. But on the other hand, why bother restricting it?

It all comes down to illegal guns; if you make it impossible(or very hard) to get guns legally, the bad guys will still get guns illegally, and then the law abiding citizen loses.