imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Larry Vickers on John Wick (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2600)

Rockwolf66 03-02-2020 03:10 AM

Larry Vickers on John Wick
 
Larry Just put up a video on John Wick.

https://youtu.be/BHF3Ewi78OY

It's interesting what he says about Airsoft being used.

funkychinaman 03-02-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 44895)
Larry Just put up a video on John Wick.

https://youtu.be/BHF3Ewi78OY

It's interesting what he says about Airsoft being used.

It's a bit disappointing, but it makes sense given the close quarters.

Ultimate94ninja 03-02-2020 05:35 PM

I saw that video not long after it was uploaded. I'd hate to contradict a professional who obviously knows his stuff, but while he did mention a lot of interesting things, I'm not convinced about all of what he said. For starters, he states that John Wick 1 was done completely with Airsoft pistols (although in this case, the one to blame more is the ISS guy who told him that), yet according to a couple of comments on the video (and according to my research as well), there's no Airsoft version of the H&K P30L in existence (there's only for the regular P30). Plus, he claims that the pistol's slide didn't lock back because it's an Airsoft gun, yet near the end of the nightclub fight, it does lock to the rear (okay, there are Airsoft guns that indeed have the locking feature, but still). On another note, he wrongfully says that Keanu picked up a Glock 26 from one of the henchmen and that he tucked it in his waistband, when in fact this G26 belonged to him from the beginning (it was his backup gun), and he carried it in an actual holster.

Anyway, even if Airsoft guns were used, it would only apply to the first movie. I hanged around a lot of relevant videos, Instagram posts, etc., and I'm pretty sure all guns in JW2 and JW3 are real :D

Excalibur 03-02-2020 11:53 PM

These two other videos do it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J5vQnxJf3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nuagL-O4Xs

MT2008 03-03-2020 03:50 AM

I don’t think airsoft guns were used in the first movie, either. What I remember hearing is that they used electronic/solid plug blanks in real weapons. (See Forgotten Weapons’ interview with Charles Taylor from Movie Armaments Group for an explanation of how those work.)

Also, if he heard that rumor from his ISS contact, bear in mind that ISS didn’t provide the guns for the first movie, only the second and third. In the original movie, all of the guns came from The Specialists, Ltd., as far as I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate94ninja (Post 44897)
On another note, he wrongfully says that Keanu picked up a Glock 26 from one of the henchmen and that he tucked it in his waistband, when in fact this G26 belonged to him from the beginning (it was his backup gun), and he carried it in an actual holster.

In his defense, that’s the kind of detail that only IMFDB members are likely to catch, not casual viewers. We notice that kind of detail because it’s basically our job to be that observant when we write for the Wiki. I’m guessing he didn’t watch the movie again all the way through before filming the Vickers Tactical channel video, and forgot that the Glock 26 was one of Wick’s own guns.

Ultimate94ninja 03-11-2020 05:57 PM

Eh, that last part was just a side note (not a big issue); still wanted to bring it up nonetheless, since it kinda affected what he later said about the probability of losing the pistol during the hand-to-hand fights, etc.

Anyway, back to the topic of what types of guns were used, we basically have the confirmation in BTS shots (like here and here) that they were indeed blanks

MoviePropMaster2008 03-15-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate94ninja (Post 44903)
Eh, that last part was just a side note (not a big issue); still wanted to bring it up nonetheless, since it kinda affected what he later said about the probability of losing the pistol during the hand-to-hand fights, etc.

Anyway, back to the topic of what types of guns were used, we basically have the confirmation in BTS shots (like here and here) that they were indeed blanks

Well let me be the first to say that Movie Armorers sometimes make mistakes ;) Just as an aside, I actually argued with a well known armorer about which guns were on a set, and yes, he was the credited ARMORER on the set, but I was actually there so I remember what was used. He was remembering it wrong. No worries, he's a good friend so we're cool, but I remember what I helped out on set ;)

Spartan198 03-15-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 44904)
Well let me be the first to say that Movie Armorers sometimes make mistakes ;)

Sounds like you guys need to shape up or ship out. :p

MT2008 03-15-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44905)
Sounds like you guys need to shape up or ship out. :p

Yeah, who would have ever thought movie armorers are normal human beings with fallible memories, who can't recall exactly what guns they used on a production that they worked on many years ago (out of dozens/hundreds of shows since)? :D Clearly, I have to re-evaluate how I see them...they must not be the deities that I thought they were when I first became an IMFDB member.

Spartan198 03-15-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44907)
Yeah, who would have ever thought movie armorers are normal human beings with fallible memories, who can't recall exactly what guns they used on a production that they worked on many years ago (out of dozens/hundreds of shows since)? :D Clearly, I have to re-evaluate how I see them...they must not be the deities that I thought they were when I first became an IMFDB member.

At least you know what needs to be done. :cool:


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.