imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ListServe (ADMINS READ!) (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2029)

zackmann08 08-17-2012 03:46 PM

ListServe (ADMINS READ!)

I am considering making a list-serve for the admins. This would allow announcements to be sent directly to the admins and would be particularly useful for Bunni and I but would be accessible to each of the admins. This would be for admins only! If I were to set something like that up, would you guys be interested? It is obviously not required and you can certainly choose to opt-out, but if only 2 or 3 of you are going to opt-in then there is no real point. If each of the admins could let me know their thoughts I would appreciate it! (To clarify this is Admins on IMFDB NOT admins on the forum).

Make sure to vote in the poll above.

funkychinaman 08-17-2012 03:48 PM

It'd be nice to be able to discuss business while not in full view.

zackmann08 08-17-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 35725)
It'd be nice to be able to discuss business while not in full view.

Is that a yes vote??

funkychinaman 08-17-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 35726)
Is that a yes vote??

Well what is a listserve?

Is there way to create a forum area open only to admins?

zackmann08 08-17-2012 04:24 PM

A listserve means that there is an e-mail address (Imfdb-listserve@listserve.com for example) that if you send an e-mail to, that e-mail automatically goes out to everyone. Not sure about the forum idea, but a listserve would make sure the message gets to people. I think everyone checks their e-mail more than they check the forum...

Jcordell 08-17-2012 06:48 PM

I vote yes. Something are better discussed in private.

commando552 08-17-2012 09:06 PM

I voted maybe, as I think a better sollution (if possible) would be an admins only section of the forum, as having it in a forum format you would be able to have different topics on the go at the same time and keep them separate. Also if a couple of people ended up having a discussion about somehing it would not keep emailing everyone about something that was irrelevent to them. If you wanted to receive email notifications you could subscride to the thread and have the forum send you email notifications, and this would have the plus that if an admin didn't want to be receiving emails they could still view discussions and give input, as opposed to a ListServe system where they would have no idea what is going on. That being said i would still subscride if it was implemented, but I think a forum section would be better.

MT2008 08-18-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 35731)
I voted maybe, as I think a better sollution (if possible) would be an admins only section of the forum, as having it in a forum format you would be able to have different topics on the go at the same time and keep them separate. Also if a couple of people ended up having a discussion about somehing it would not keep emailing everyone about something that was irrelevent to them. If you wanted to receive email notifications you could subscride to the thread and have the forum send you email notifications, and this would have the plus that if an admin didn't want to be receiving emails they could still view discussions and give input, as opposed to a ListServe system where they would have no idea what is going on. That being said i would still subscride if it was implemented, but I think a forum section would be better.

I like this idea better myself, though I'm not particularly opposed to a ListServe.

zackmann08 08-18-2012 11:35 PM

I have created an admin only section to the forum. Each of the admins on IMFDB should now have access to a 5th forum. Can you all please look at it and read the first post ASAP? If you are an admin and are NOT able to see the thread, please let me know. (First try logging out and then back in).

-Z

commando552 08-19-2012 02:24 PM

It's not showing up for me, have tried logging out and back in and on different computers and that didn't solve it.