imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Missing Entries (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1922)

zackmann08 01-18-2012 10:08 PM

Missing Entries

I've been doing a lot of gun page clean up lately and I've been noticing the enormous number of entries that are missing. You click on a gun image, and it lists 20 pages (movies and tv shows) that link to it, yet under that gun it lists only 2-3 occurrences. Is there any good way to add these entries short of the process is just described? (Seeing what pages link to the images). Also, moving forward, is there a way to make sure that entries get listed on the gun pages as well?

-Zack

Jcordell 01-20-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 33929)
I've been doing a lot of gun page clean up lately and I've been noticing the enormous number of entries that are missing. You click on a gun image, and it lists 20 pages (movies and tv shows) that link to it, yet under that gun it lists only 2-3 occurrences. Is there any good way to add these entries short of the process is just described? (Seeing what pages link to the images). Also, moving forward, is there a way to make sure that entries get listed on the gun pages as well?

-Zack

You have to do it. Over the years I have literally lost count the number of times I've linked actor pages to movies and guns and guns to actor pages and so on. No magical formula. Many folks will build a movie page and not list the info on the various gun pages and actor pages. Sorry that i couldn't provide the secret magical formula.

Oh by the way over on the main site I am Jcordell. I'm the guy who has been helping you with all the different dates on the S&W page. Why do I have a different name here on the forum? Well it's a long story.

Spartan198 01-20-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkman (Post 33961)
Why do I have a different name here on the forum? Well it's a long story.

*Slams fists down on desk* We demand that you explain!

Jcordell 01-21-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 33963)
*Slams fists down on desk* We demand that you explain!

Okay. It's actually pretty simple. I was a deteective at my department for a few years (03-06). My focus was fraud investigations. Which includes working bad check cases. I worked so many check cases that my fellow detectives took to calling me Checkman. In 2003 I began to join forums and when asked to register a name I decided that Checkman would be easy to remember.

When I registered with imfdb I went with Jcordell (Jeff Cordell - my actual name). I don't know why. But when I came over to the forum I just registered myself as Checkman out of habit. By the time I realized what I had done I was already fairly established at imfdb at Jcordell and Checkman here on the forum. Just a brain lock-up.

So now and again a newer member will ask why the different names and I have to explain it all over again.

Evil Tim 01-21-2012 04:30 AM

It might actually be possible to write a script to make a page automatically display incoming links (it's how the Category: tag works, after all) but it would be up to Bunni, I think.

zackmann08 01-21-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 33976)
It might actually be possible to write a script to make a page automatically display incoming links (it's how the Category: tag works, after all) but it would be up to Bunni, I think.

That was what I had in mind... That would be PHENOMENAL!! Also extremely complicated i would imagine...

MT2008 01-21-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 33976)

As much as I like this idea as a general rule, there's one problem: What do you do when the gun in question has appeared in hundreds or even thousands of movies that have entries on IMFDB? If we were to list every movie or TV show that's featured a Beretta 92F/FS (read: almost everything made since 1985), the Beretta 92 series page would be so huge that loading it would take forever. Last I checked on the "most linked-to files" page (http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Special:MostLinkedFiles), our Beretta 92FS image has appeared on 745 IMFDB pages. And that's not including appearances of other popular variants, such as the Beretta 92FS Inox (an image which has appeared on 244 pages). Would you really want all of the thousands of Beretta appearances documented on one page? I sure wouldn't...

zackmann08 01-21-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 33982)
As much as I like this idea as a general rule, there's one problem: What do you do when the gun in question has appeared in hundreds or even thousands of movies that have entries on IMFDB? If we were to list every movie or TV show that's featured a Beretta 92F/FS (read: almost everything made since 1985), the Beretta 92 series page would be so huge that loading it would take forever. Last I checked on the "most linked-to files" page (http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Special:MostLinkedFiles), our Beretta 92FS image has appeared on 745 IMFDB pages. And that's not including appearances of other popular variants, such as the Beretta 92FS Inox (an image which has appeared on 244 pages). Would you really want all of the thousands of Beretta appearances documented on one page? I sure wouldn't...

Isn't that the point of the gun pages? I'm still new here... but I thought that ideally they were supposed to list every occurrence of the gun... Or are they only supposed to list it when it is prominent in the movie?

Evil Tim 01-21-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 33982)
As much as I like this idea as a general rule, there's one problem: What do you do when the gun in question has appeared in hundreds or even thousands of movies that have entries on IMFDB?

Um, so what do you think the gun pages are for, exactly?