imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

Excalibur 10-19-2019 03:41 AM

I am looking to buy a police trade in Beretta 92FS. The price is 350. I'm feeling lucky

MT2008 10-19-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 44775)
It was one of the early ones with the heel release and the rounded trigger guard (found an old picture of shooting it along with our old Colt SP101). He purchased it from another officer who was also an FFL. I don't know where Chuck found it at. Both Chuck and dad are now gone so it will always remain a mystery. I shot it more often then the Colt Commander due to 9mm being more affordable. Perhaps it is because of my positive experience with the Taurus that I have always been fond of the Beretta 92FS. Back in my Army days guys would badmouth the Beretta constantly. I never had any heartburn with it. But I think it's the nature of soldiers to constantly bitch about their weapons no matter how good they are.
Dad was in the Air Force (military police) in the sixties and he heard many an airman griping about the 1911A1. It never changes.

Ah, OK, my old one actually had the flared trigger guard, but also the heel release. I think it was around 1985 that Taurus started making the PT92 and PT99 with the mag release on the trigger guard, so I figure that my pistol was made just before that time. My Grandfather, like your Dad, also purchased the gun from a friend, so I never knew when his friend bought it. My grandfather got it sometime in the early-90s, and it became mine in 2006 - then I sold it just 18 months later. And I regretted that decision so much that I had to get another.

The Beretta and Taurus will never be my favorite firearms (and I own one of each), in part because they're so gigantic and heavy for 9mm pistols that were originally designed for 15-shot mags, but I do think they're well-made, reliable, and fun to shoot. Not that I've ever been a serviceman, but I do wish the military had adopted an M9 which had a frame-mounted safety like the Taurus. It's the one thing that the Brazilians really nailed, and it should have been a no-brainer for the M9 program.

MT2008 10-19-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44774)
Basic Magpul MIAD because you can switch parts of it around and there's nothing wrong with getting a geissele triggers

So I actually ordered a BCM Mod-1. I stopped by Magpul's booth at AUSA this week, and I held some ARs fitted with MIAD grips. Decided I like the feel of the BCM better (based on my experience checking out BCM rifles at gun shows). Even though my rifle is already fitted with a lot of Magpul products, and even though my BCM charging handle was not the best choice, I intend to try out more BCM products moving forward.

For the trigger, I agree that I'm probably going to go with a Geissele SSA, as they're the semi-auto equivalent to the SSF triggers that are popular in SOCOM right now.

Jcordell 10-20-2019 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44778)
Ah, OK, my old one actually had the flared trigger guard, but also the heel release. I think it was around 1985 that Taurus started making the PT92 and PT99 with the mag release on the trigger guard, so I figure that my pistol was made just before that time. My Grandfather, like your Dad, also purchased the gun from a friend, so I never knew when his friend bought it. My grandfather got it sometime in the early-90s, and it became mine in 2006 - then I sold it just 18 months later. And I regretted that decision so much that I had to get another.

The Beretta and Taurus will never be my favorite firearms (and I own one of each), in part because they're so gigantic and heavy for 9mm pistols that were originally designed for 15-shot mags, but I do think they're well-made, reliable, and fun to shoot. Not that I've ever been a serviceman, but I do wish the military had adopted an M9 which had a frame-mounted safety like the Taurus. It's the one thing that the Brazilians really nailed, and it should have been a no-brainer for the M9 program.

I carried the Beretta for awhile in the Army, but it was on my equipment belt ,which was part of the old load bearing system (suspenders), so the bulk of the pistol wasn't as much an issue as it can be with my leather patrol belt. I don't even own a holster for the Beretta. It's strictly a range gun, but I like it.

Jcordell 10-20-2019 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44776)
I am looking to buy a police trade in Beretta 92FS. The price is 350. I'm feeling lucky

That's not a bad price and you can buy many parts and pieces directly from Beretta on the company's website. I suppose I could pay a little less, but I know that I'm getting genuine Beretta parts and the company backs up it's product. I've purchased magazines, stainless steel guide rod and recoil spring, and an oversize steel magazine release button. Good luck.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/

MT2008 10-20-2019 06:56 PM

TBH, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a police trade-in pistol again, unless it’s from unissued stock (AIMSurplus gets those sometimes). My Glock 19 is a police trade-in, and it’s so worn out and beat to hell that I’m hesitant to shoot it. I’ve only fired 100 rounds through it so far, and I’ve had it for almost a year.

Jcordell 10-21-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44782)
TBH, I donít think Iíll ever buy a police trade-in pistol again, unless itís from unissued stock (AIMSurplus gets those sometimes). My Glock 19 is a police trade-in, and itís so worn out and beat to hell that Iím hesitant to shoot it. Iíve only fired 100 rounds through it so far, and Iíve had it for almost a year.

Kind of flies in the face of the old saying about cop guns being "fired a little, carried a lot."

Excalibur 10-23-2019 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44782)
TBH, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a police trade-in pistol again, unless it’s from unissued stock (AIMSurplus gets those sometimes). My Glock 19 is a police trade-in, and it’s so worn out and beat to hell that I’m hesitant to shoot it. I’ve only fired 100 rounds through it so far, and I’ve had it for almost a year.

Dude, I've seen Glock gen 2s that have lasted a long time. I mean, you COULD just replace some of the important internals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 44783)
Kind of flies in the face of the old saying about cop guns being "fired a little, carried a lot."


Maybe he got unlucky and got a cop gun from a bad part of LA

Spartan198 10-23-2019 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 44783)
Kind of flies in the face of the old saying about cop guns being "fired a little, carried a lot."

And dropped only once. ;)

Jcordell 10-24-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44791)
And dropped only once. ;)

I've dropped mine five or six times that I can remember.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.