imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

SPEMack618 02-07-2013 07:31 PM

Willis is a good guy, pro-2A and pro-military.

Not gonna lie, it might just be time for the Die Hard franchise, to, well, die.

funkychinaman 02-07-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37913)
Willis is a good guy, pro-2A and pro-military.

Not gonna lie, it might just be time for the Die Hard franchise, to, well, die.

Before they brought in the son, maybe they could've recast the role, like they do with James Bonds. Who knows, if the movie tanks, they may still do that.

SPEMack618 02-07-2013 07:38 PM

Or maybe, as previously stated offshoot with Jack, but still, as much as a I liked Die Hard 4, it didn't feel like a Die Hard movie.

It felt like a good action movie that so happened to have John MacClane in it.

Excalibur 02-08-2013 01:44 AM

Guys, read this list of how to not screw up making a Die Hard sequel

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-simple...e-hard-sequel/

Evil Tim 02-08-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37904)
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

I hope the used game part isn't true.

I heard what they were planning was to charge an unlocking fee for used games. Which is stupid, I can't think of any other consumer product where the producers are so adamant that the second-hand market damages them. Gee, maybe if your games had replay value nobody would want to sell them. :rolleyes:

funkychinaman 02-08-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37923)
I heard what they were planning was to charge an unlocking fee for used games. Which is stupid, I can't think of any other consumer product where the producers are so adamant that the second-hand market damages them. Gee, maybe if your games had replay value nobody would want to sell them. :rolleyes:

I can't really gripe about the price of new video games, they're barely more expensive than their 8 and 16 bit predecessors were, and you get exponentially more replay value. Have any of them actually put a number on how much money they "lose" due to used games? And since they're basically reducing the value of the game, are prices of new games going to go down. (I'm going to guess no.) Maybe someone can sue them and make a consumer protection issue out of it.

And never mind the fact that they'd be murdering the very idea of game rentals.

Evil Tim 02-08-2013 03:22 PM

Well to be fair, adjusted for inflation a copy of Turok 1 when it came out would cost something like 120 dollars.

The argument they put forward is they make no money on resales, which is stupid because neither does any other company that makes any other consumer product in the entire world. It seems to be based on the assumption that everyone who'd buy a second hand copy would be willing to pay full price if they didn't have the option of getting it second hand, when often people only buy second hand because it's cheap. It's like that thing they do where they imagine everyone who pirated a game would have bought it.

I think it's mostly because of games most people are fed up of within a week like the copies of Medal of Honor that are still knocking around in bargain bins the world over. They're also basically trying to kill the rental market so you have to buy a game to figure out it's turgid garbage.

funkychinaman 02-08-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37927)
Well to be fair, adjusted for inflation a copy of Turok 1 when it came out would cost something like 120 dollars.

The argument they put forward is they make no money on resales, which is stupid because neither does any other company that makes any other consumer product in the entire world. It seems to be based on the assumption that everyone who'd buy a second hand copy would be willing to pay full price if they didn't have the option of getting it second hand, when often people only buy second hand because it's cheap. It's like that thing they do where they imagine everyone who pirated a game would have bought it.

I think it's mostly because of games most people are fed up of within a week like the copies of Medal of Honor that are still knocking around in bargain bins the world over. They're also basically trying to kill the rental market so you have to buy a game to figure out it's turgid garbage.

If I may play devil's advocate, downloadable demos can take the place of rentals in the try before you buy scenario.

But yeah, if they want to keep prices up, control distribution a bit better and make a good game.

I'm perfectly okay with the currently system of buying online licenses. If they wanted to double the price of online licenses, I'd be fine with it, because online play are the meat and potatoes of most games now. (On the flip side, if I pay for the right to play online, then that means every time the servers for an old game are decommissioned, they're stealing from ME.)

BlackIce_GTS 02-08-2013 06:44 PM

Wish I'd rented Medal of Honour: Beardfighter.
It was sitting on my shelf for... a year? Installed it, picked second highest difficulty, beat it in 4 hours, uninstalled it.
I guess it's about the same money/time/level of entertainment as if I watched Act of Valour and Behind Enemy Lines 3 in theatres (which I didn't), but I have the preconception that I should not be finished with a game I started after lunch before it's time for supper.
And now I can't get rid of it, because it's got that single-owner registration code. Or, if it doesn't(?), many games do, so nobody buys used PC games anymore. Which means nobody sells used PC games. Which means I don't play as many PC games.

Excalibur 02-08-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37929)
If I may play devil's advocate, downloadable demos can take the place of rentals in the try before you buy scenario.

Not every game has a demo. Only the most popular and corporate backed ones are. I couldn't even play the Dead Space 3 demo without renewing my Xbox Live Gold.