imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Recommend me a pistol (caliber, styles, etc) (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=522)

mr_Goodbomb 09-09-2009 07:10 PM

Recommend me a pistol (caliber, styles, etc)

This will be my first handgun. I'd use it for practice and home defense, as well as a prop weapon, as I do a lot of short films where handguns wind up being needed (always unloaded).

My budget is around $200. Limiting, I know, but I'll be going to a very large gun show next month and want to know what to look out for.

My original thought was a .22, as they're cheap rounds that I can get a lot of easily and practice with. But, I looked around for others, as, in a self-defense situation, they have little going for them (in that 5-8% chance where a gun is actually fired, rather than just presented, in a self-defense situation). I have been looking into other gauges, and want to keep the price of the ammo in mind so I can shoot it often without spending as much as I might on a more expensive gun.

I'd really like a revolver, if it came down to handgun/revolver.

The Heritage Rough Rider looks good, but that's only really an option in .22, as the bigger rounds just about double in price. I'm not at all opposed to buying used, in fact I'd prefer it.

What about other less mentioned rounds? .25acp, .32, .17, I had really considered a .38 Special, as they're not as expensive as .45s and the kick would be less.

Throw out some ideas. Thanks a lot!

Excalibur 09-09-2009 07:32 PM

Try to get something in .380 auto. Much better choice. Say a Ruger would be a good choice.

AdAstra2009 09-09-2009 07:32 PM

Don't know if its a good idea to use the same gun for self defense/target practice as the same one you are using for a prop.

If you are looking for a prop get a cheap airsoft toy gun or something.

Excalibur 09-09-2009 07:33 PM

I was going to say that too. You can get a cheap airsoft for under 50.

mr_Goodbomb 09-09-2009 07:40 PM

All the accurate, fully-functional (moving parts) airsoft guns cost as much as a real weapon would. If it's my gun, on private property, and never loaded, I see no problem, but thank you for the responses.

k9870 09-09-2009 07:47 PM

.380 auto lol. Try finding it on shelves. Id get a 357 mag, fire 38s out of it for now with the ability to move up in the future.

mr_Goodbomb 09-09-2009 07:51 PM

I was just looking up .380 ACP. I guess rounds are hard to find? I read it'll chamber 9mm? Is that wrong?

A 357 MAG will chamber .38 Special?

Can I expect to find any of these rounds in a revolver for under 200 used?

Yournamehere 09-09-2009 07:55 PM

200 bucks won't get you anything, honestly, unless you go into a pawn shop and get something beat to shit. If you want a handgun, you'll need between 4-500 bucks to start. 200 will only get you something illegaly on the street where MSRPs and actual prices don't mean shit, and you shouldn't buy illegally, EVER. If you're lucky you can get yourself an old saturday night special but good luck with that.

I suggest you wait and save your money, or just buy an airsoft gun.

AdAstra2009 09-09-2009 08:15 PM

Or you could get a Hi-Point 9mm

suggested retail price: $155

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...point_9mm.html

Nyles 09-09-2009 08:36 PM

Those Hi Points may be ugly as sin, but everyone I've talked to that's used one said they were suprisingly accurate and reliable.

That said, I'd look at getting a used .38 Special revolver - Colt, S&W, Taurus, Charter Arms, they're all decent guns and you might able to find one in good shape for that price. Bear in mind guns age alot better than just about any other consumer good. Just check the timing and lockup before you buy.

Excalibur 09-09-2009 08:38 PM

For one of the lowest of low guns, Hi-point from what I've heard is a pretty good gun if you are short on cash, but don't hold your life to one of these. It's more of a placeholder for when you have the money to buy a better gun

mr_Goodbomb 09-09-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 6782)
200 bucks won't get you anything, honestly, unless you go into a pawn shop and get something beat to shit. If you want a handgun, you'll need between 4-500 bucks to start. 200 will only get you something illegaly on the street where MSRPs and actual prices don't mean shit, and you shouldn't buy illegally, EVER. If you're lucky you can get yourself an old saturday night special but good luck with that.

I suggest you wait and save your money, or just buy an airsoft gun.

This is contrary to pretty much everything I've read, as brands like Heritage, Taurus, Cobra, and many other lower-end but reliable and well-made builders produce something in that range used... But ok, thanks a lot.

Yournamehere 09-09-2009 09:24 PM

Those 3 brands you mention are either not very practical for multiple uses (Heritage single action revolvers), funny looking and/or not very reliable (Hi-Point, and believe me I have heard my share of complaints about those things), or, like I said, small caliber Saturday Night Specials (Cobra). You'd be better off saving your money and buying a quality, proven firearm from the many more popular brands. A weapon for self defense, recreation, or a weapon period, is not something you should count your pennies for. Save some real money and buy something good.

Just for the record, I don't mean to be condescending or rude, I just think you could do much better than what you have in mind. You're only a couple hundred away from a Ruger or Smith & Wesson automatic pistol which as far as quality goes are miles ahead of the third rate brands you're thinking of.

mr_Goodbomb 09-09-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 6788)
Those 3 brands you mention are either not very practical for multiple uses (Heritage single action revolvers), funny looking and/or not very reliable (Hi-Point, and believe me I have heard my share of complaints about those things), or, like I said, small caliber Saturday Night Specials (Cobra). You'd be better off saving your money and buying a quality, proven firearm from the many more popular brands. A weapon for self defense, recreation, or a weapon period, is not something you should count your pennies for. Save some real money and buy something good.

Just for the record, I don't mean to be condescending or rude, I just think you could do much better than what you have in mind. You're only a couple hundred away from a Ruger or Smith & Wesson automatic pistol which as far as quality goes are miles ahead of the third rate brands you're thinking of.

I'd prefer a revolver, single action is fine with me.

"Funny looking" sure is relative.

We're including .22s in the conversation, so caliber is also debatable.

I'd actually prefer NOT to have an automatic pistol. I believe I said I was looking for a revolver.

k9870 09-09-2009 10:37 PM

Used ruger gp-100s can be found around 350-400 in excellent condition. .357/.38 spc

Yournamehere 09-10-2009 02:12 AM

Well, even with revolvers, you can save a couple extra hundred and get a good Ruger or Smith & Wesson for that, in .22 or .357 mag or whatever. I just recommend an auto because they are easier to get comfortable with and use effectively.I'd get a Single Six over a Heritage any day just because of the brand and the quality their name carries. Trust me, you get what you pay for.

mr_Goodbomb 09-10-2009 03:15 AM

I appreciate your input, but this is my budget. I can't justify spending any more, much less actually spend anymore at this time anyway.

Excalibur 09-10-2009 04:10 AM

Why don't you just keep the amount you have now and continue saving up.

Yournamehere 09-10-2009 05:10 AM

A device that you use for personal protection is not something you should justify spending money on, especially when it comes to 200 or 400 bucks. If you can't "justify" spending more than 200 bucks on it, I say don't even bother buying anything, or at least not a real gun. Save up for a decent piece, for your own ass, not for my benefit, or just buy a real high quality airsoft gun. I don't know anyone who has paid 200 bucks for any handgun and has been pleased, at least not with todays money rates.

mr_Goodbomb 09-10-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 6807)
Why don't you just keep the amount you have now and continue saving up.

Please see previous post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 6808)
A device that you use for personal protection is not something you should justify spending money on, especially when it comes to 200 or 400 bucks. If you can't "justify" spending more than 200 bucks on it, I say don't even bother buying anything, or at least not a real gun. Save up for a decent piece, for your own ass, not for my benefit, or just buy a real high quality airsoft gun. I don't know anyone who has paid 200 bucks for any handgun and has been pleased, at least not with todays money rates.

I appreciate your advice. If this is the only piece you have and you intend to continue repeating it, let it be. I see your point of view, I understand it, I disagree. I could sit and spout decent items with positive reviews for around this price, but it isn't worth my time. Let others offer their recommendations. Thanks.