imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   School (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1516)

k9870 01-10-2011 06:58 PM

School

What pint you at, and what are you studying? Im going back in a week to take EMT courses and get a licence to practice as a EMT. Got a degree in criminal justice already. Wheres everyone else at?

Markost 01-11-2011 12:18 AM

I´m a half-history teacher since 12/27 :D.

ManiacallyChallenged 01-11-2011 09:10 AM

I'm at University of Oregon, right now studying abroad in Akita, Japan for a year.
Fun times.

MT2008 01-11-2011 04:35 PM

I have a B.A. in History already, and I'm doing a joint M.A. in Poli Sci/Public Policy right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 24146)
I'm at University of Oregon, right now studying abroad in Akita, Japan for a year.
Fun times.

That's awesome. I loved study abroad. Are you there to learn Japanese, or doing something else?

S&Wshooter 01-11-2011 05:04 PM

I'm trying to get into University of Houston for Business, maybe Business Law later on

k9870 01-11-2011 05:37 PM

Are you a senior SW?

S&Wshooter 01-11-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 24164)
Are you a senior SW?

Yup. I've already sent my transcript and test scores to a few places, but no one has sent me anything back

Jcordell 01-11-2011 08:39 PM

B.A. in History. Boise State University, Class of 1990.

I have my Advanced Idaho Law Enforcement Certificate thanks to my B.A. I got it in just six years (from my date of hire) instead of the usual 15 - 20 years if I didn't have it.

Some officers never go beyond the Intermediate level. They're excellent officers, but the requirments to achieve the Advanced level without the added boost of a 4 year degree are formidable.

Many advantages to having a higher certificate level. The most immediate is that you earn more pay.

So the piece of paper does make a difference for anyone out there who is currently questioning whether it's worth it to continue the effort.

ManiacallyChallenged 01-13-2011 04:04 AM

I am studying Japanese. Right now I'm mired in 300 level, which is where you pick up the majority of your diverse language forms. There are lots of grammar forms and new vocab to use, which is difficult because you don't see any real improvement of your communication skills.

The university I'm at is an International University, so all the classes are taught in English(except for a few at the 100 level for Japanese students still learning). Aside from language and culture stuff, they do mostly Business classes, which is outside the realm of my major(Japanese, Culture Intensive).

MT2008 03-01-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkman (Post 24174)
So the piece of paper does make a difference for anyone out there who is currently questioning whether it's worth it to continue the effort.

Not that I want to discourage anyone from finishing college, but in this economy, a B.A. makes less of a difference in earnings than it used to. When I graduated from college, I took a job that I could have easily done when I was a high school graduate. In fact, one of my co-workers was an 18-year old girl who had just graduated from high school, and she had most of the same responsibilities I did (and earned the same paycheck). Right now, there are a lot of college graduates who are working at Starbuck's or doing unpaid internships where they perform menial tasks that the secretaries don't feel like doing.

Also, for all of you who are in high school now and going to college in the next 2 years: Whatever you do, don't be History majors (like I was). Or, if you are going to be a History major, double-major in something more practical - like Economics, Computer Science, Pre-Med, Pre-Law, etc. There's nothing that corporate employers find less desirable than someone with a Bachelor's in the humanities. Most of my friends in college were History, Political Science, or Sociology majors, and all went back to school within two years of graduation, just as I did.