imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Books (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=981)

Swordfish941 03-06-2010 07:16 PM

Favorite Books

I've just finished reading "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman (the guy's written mostly scripts, he should get back to writing novels). It was pretty good, espicially with the mixing of genres. My favorite genre is fantasy. I've fallen in love with the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. I've read "The Hobbit" about 7 times and never get tired of it. My mom read the first book of "The Lord Of the Rings" when the films originally came out. We stopped in the begining of "The Two Towers" because the whole part with Merry and Pippin and the orcs scared me. My birthday is coming up on the 16th of March and I want the book "Beowulf" (it's actually a 1,000 year old poem written in Anglo-Saxon).

k9870 03-06-2010 07:24 PM

I think stephen hunter writes some good books. the bob lee swagger books are good (at least point of impact (shooter was based on) time to hunt and I sniper. I heard the other novels kind of veered away. Pale horse coming is good too.

Matthew reilly wrotes some fun reads. The shane schofield series (ice station, area 7, scarecrow) were great. There just over the top action, fun as hell.

i liked Without remorse by tom clancy, several of his other novels tend to drag on though.

Excalibur 03-06-2010 08:30 PM

I've been reading Battle Royale. A translated from Japanese. It's very interesting.

Zulu Two Six 03-07-2010 03:31 AM

Band of Brothers....Flags of our Fathers....Jarhead....Marine Snyper (the story of Carlos Hathcock)......And some book about a Desert Storm Marine who looks like Matt Damon....

can you see a trend going on here?

Excalibur 03-07-2010 05:57 AM

Read any books that hasn;t been made into a movie

Spartan198 03-07-2010 06:04 AM

The Axis of Time trilogy by John Birmingham, specifically Book 3 "Final Impact".

FirearmFan 03-07-2010 08:43 AM

I second Stephen Hunter. I've read Point of Impact, Black Light, Time to Hunt, The 47th Samurai, Night of Thunder, Hot Springs, Pale Horse Coming, Havana, and Dirty White Boys. I thought they were all excellent. I plan on reading I, Sniper next.

Tom Clancy books are pretty good too. I've read Endwar and Ghost Recon.

I just finished reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks and right now I'm reading World War Z.

Spartan198 03-07-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirearmFan (Post 12411)
Tom Clancy books are pretty good too. I've read Endwar and Ghost Recon.

A friend of mine, who calls himself a "Clancy-phile", read EndWar and told me it was one of the worst-written books he's ever read.

Alcatrazz 03-07-2010 12:53 PM

The Iliad and The Odyssey is the greatest narrative created by humans ever.

Spartan198 03-07-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 12413)

This man speaks the unquestionable, etched-in-stone truth.

Alcatrazz 03-07-2010 02:33 PM

The Lost Fleet is pretty awesome. I got the whole series for 6 dollars.

FirearmFan 03-07-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 12412)
A friend of mine, who calls himself a "Clancy-phile", read EndWar and told me it was one of the worst-written books he's ever read.

I thought it was pretty decent. It wasn't Stephen Hunter quality but I read it at night while on a musky fishing trip and it was worth my time.

k9870 03-07-2010 08:35 PM

It was a short book and a good fun read, but didnt register on the "favorites" scale.

ManiacallyChallenged 03-07-2010 08:38 PM

The answer is always Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Zulu Two Six 03-07-2010 09:20 PM

yes! i forgot about that one. i love his books. have you read all of them?

Mauser 03-08-2010 05:51 AM

I like reading short horror stories or novellas. I also really like true crime books, especially Philip Carlo. I just bought Murder Machine and I am absolutely dying to read it. I just need to finish House to House by David Bellavia first. I actually have a large to do list for books lol. I just keep buying them and they pile up. Here is a short list of some books I’ve read and are about to read.
I finished reading and liked: The Iceman: Confessions of a Contract Killer, Black Mass, Moon on the Water, Nations of the Living Nations of the Dead, Shooter: The true story of the top ranked marine sniper, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men.

I have yet to read: The BrotherHoods, Murder Machine, Gasipe, 13 cent killers, Voices of Courage, a few Richard Laymond novels, Coroners Journal, Grey’s Anatomy, and some Rouge Warrior books my brother let me borrow.

What sucks is I’m a slow reader. I curse my mother everyday for not getting me hooked on phonics.

MT2008 03-08-2010 03:49 PM

I seriously can't remember the last time I ever read a novel. Literally. I used to read Tom Clancy and Mark Bowden when I was younger, but that was a while ago now.

Actually, it's becoming pretty rare that I read printed word at all. Everything I read is online, including all of my research. My printer, too, is already collecting dust.

S&Wshooter 03-08-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 12413)

Too bad they are mind numbingly boring. As for my favorite book, I really don't have one because I read about 5 books a month. Monster Hunter International is pretty good though

Mandolin1 03-08-2010 11:46 PM

All Tom Clancy's fiction with Jack Ryan. Some Alister Mclean and Jack Higgens books. Auther Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series. Monster Hunter International, by Larry Corelia. Lots of WW2/ Vietnam books.

Zulu Two Six 03-09-2010 03:59 AM

anyone read a book called ''Under a War-Torn Sky''? its about a b-29 flying fortress pilot during WWII. its a great book. i read it in the 6th grade...its great for older people too. i just like the WWII era

Excalibur 03-09-2010 05:09 AM

I have an almost complete collection of the Dune books, the first ones by Frank Herbert and then then sequels and prequels by his son written with Kevin Anderson

Bugabear 03-09-2010 08:44 AM

I'm reading The Gun Seller. It's a book by Hugh Laurie and it's actually pretty funny and well written for a comedian/actor. I have a good pirated version if anyone wants.

ManiacallyChallenged 03-09-2010 09:08 PM

Shhh, no you do not have a pirated version.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Rockwolf66 03-09-2010 09:12 PM

As far as Authors go i have to enjoy John Ringo and Both his "Ghost" series and his "Posleen" series of novels.

While he is now dead and his nephew has taken over his series. William W Johnstone was a pretty entertaining author and while he used clips to describe magazines his various series were entertaining and he know how to write a firefight and his writing reflected what is "known" about his background.

Zulu Two Six 03-09-2010 11:46 PM

currently reading a book called ''ghosts of war''
and no, i read band of brothers before i knew there was a series.
same thing with flags of our fathers. that was a great book

k9870 03-10-2010 12:49 AM

One Clancy nonfiction I loved was battle ready, with general Tony Zinni. He was with the south vietnamese marines and its a perspective of vietnam not seen before.

Bugabear 03-14-2010 08:28 PM

I only pirated it cause my local library has never heard of it. But they have heard of Metro 2033.

ManiacallyChallenged 03-15-2010 08:42 PM

The game coming out? Was there a novel of it before?

Bugabear 03-17-2010 03:39 AM

Yeah it was a Russian best seller. Then it got translated to English and turned into a computer game that will give computers heart attacks. I do like the whole concept of it though.

Swordfish941 04-11-2010 09:23 PM

I just recently bought Cormac McCarthy's [i]Blood Meridan[i]. I heard it's McCarthy's masterpiece and one of the greatest American novels of the 20th Century. I like it because it takes place at the U.S.-Mexico border between the years of 1849 and 1850; and it has violence (and I mean the knifng and scalping kind of violence).

Excalibur 04-12-2010 02:49 AM

Currently reading Shogun by James Clavell

Nyles 04-12-2010 06:18 PM

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, the Irish Century series by Morgan Llwelyn (though the first books are better than the later ones), johnny got his gun by Dalton Trumbo, Guerilla Days In Ireland by Tom Barry, King Rat by James Clavell, One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexandr Solzhenitzyn, Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemmingway, to name a few.

Excalibur 04-12-2010 06:44 PM

Have you seen the movie No Country for Old Men?

Nyles 04-13-2010 02:45 AM

I have, and I think it's one of the best adaptations of a book to movie I've seen. Kind of curious to see the Blood Meridian movie though, I don't see how they could possibly film it.

S&Wshooter 04-13-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 13034)
I have, and I think it's one of the best adaptations of a book to movie I've seen.

At least in the movie you can tell which character is speaking and what is going on

Excalibur 04-13-2010 03:19 AM

Quote:

I have, and I think it's one of the best adaptations of a book to movie I've seen.

Though for IMFDB, it had a couple incorrect guns

Swordfish941 04-22-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Kind of curious to see the Blood Meridian movie though, I don't see how they could possibly film it.

They'll have to cut out some of the violence, like the transistion of how Sproule's arm infection gets from bad to worse. If they did made a movie of it, I'd like to see John Goodman to play The Judge and possibly Viggo Mortensen to play John Joel Glanton.

Swordfish941 04-27-2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 13039)
Though for IMFDB, it had a couple incorrect guns

Accurate Schmaccurate. You still make the most inaccurate movie in the world, and it can be made fun of on Mystery Science Theater 3000.:D

Swordfish941 05-06-2010 07:58 PM

Who here has read The Catcher In the Rye?

Swordfish941 09-12-2010 06:05 AM

I'm now reading On the Road.