imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Splinter Cell Conviction (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1048)

Excalibur 05-07-2010 03:16 AM

Splinter Cell Conviction

Just bought this game for PC and aside from some slight technical issues that can be solved by setting the video to low, the gameplay is pretty solid. Unlike previous Splinter Cell games, it's more action oriented.

Clutch 05-07-2010 03:36 AM

Got it on 360 a few weeks ago.

As one who could never really get into the Splinter Cell games, I love Conviction. It remains a stealth affair for the most part, but has ramped up the action considerably and made things a lot more fluid in the process. The whole "Mark & Execute" thing is not so much game-breaking as it is game-enhancing - it's fairly cool to use the feature to either initiate or terminate a room clearing or breach.

It's what the 24 video game, as well as the Bourne video game, should have been.

Excalibur 05-07-2010 03:50 AM

This is my first Splinter Cell game as well and I like it. Though I wish the shooting gameplay is more like a game like Mass Effect.

Bugabear 05-07-2010 05:16 AM

So it's definitely worth the $70 and putting up with their stupid DRM? And what the deal with him shooting at a 45 degree angle? Also kinda funny how most Ubisoft games now have climbing features.

The lighting engine looks pretty cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 13542)
This is my first Splinter Cell game as well and I like it. Though I wish the shooting gameplay is more like a game like Mass Effect.

I really hated the part where it drags you into cover from halfway across the map.

Excalibur 05-07-2010 05:37 AM

$70? It was about 50 where I am.

Bugabear 05-16-2010 02:32 AM

Well I took the plunge and bought it. Lets hope it's everything its cracked up to be.

Bugabear 05-17-2010 11:11 PM

So far so good. How does the mark and execute work? Is it for every melee kill you get one m&e or doing a certain number unlocks unlimited amounts? And the unlimited ammo for the pistol is kinda funny.

Excalibur 05-18-2010 03:03 AM

Well in every Tom Clancy game, the handgun is always infinite ammo for some reason. It takes away the realism, but who cares.

Anyway, the Mark and execute is a pretty easy way to kill lots of guys in a room depending on the gun you are holding. Every gun has a max amount of baddies it can target ranging from 2 to 4. For the PC, you mark by aiming at someone and press the Q button. To be able to execute, you need to melee just only once and you can kill all the guys you've marked. Careful with the executing because if the arrow above their heads aren't red, you are out of range. You can also mark 4 guys, run to one of them to melee and quickly press execute to clear the rest of the room. You can also hold a baddie, use him as a shield and while people are shooting at your shield, you can mark and execute.

If any of you have the PC, I need to play with you in Co OP because it has a separate story

ManiacallyChallenged 05-19-2010 07:29 AM

Every Tom Clancy game?
Except for the Rainbow 6 series, Ghost Recon series, all the other Splinter Cell games I guess they might have unlimited ammo...

Anyway, for me it never got better than Chaos Theory. That game perfected the formula, had great stealth, great action, and phenomenal voice acting(always a plus).

Excalibur 05-19-2010 02:58 PM

Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 had unlimited handgun ammo

Bugabear 05-21-2010 05:38 AM

Thanks. When I bought Rainbow 6 I thought that was a glitch. And sure we can play, but I want to finish the campaign before I do so. I'm at the whitehouse part.

Excalibur 05-21-2010 07:13 AM

I just beat the game in Realism mode and seriously...the difficulty is a pussy. Seriously, I barely had to try to kick their asses. Half the time, I threw grenades all over the place.

Spartan198 05-27-2010 02:06 AM

The Vegas games are the only Clancy games I know of that have unlimited handgun ammo. All the others I've played were limited.

On the topic of Conviction, I'm really on the fence as to whether I want to get it or not. I agree with MC about Chaos Theory (which I've been replaying the past few days, in fact) being the best Splinter Cell. The problem I'm having with all games nowadays is that, no matter the genre, they're being dumbed down so that they look difficult on the outside, but on the inside are so simple a cave man could do it. Look at Tomb Raider, for example. When I got the first one on PS1, it took me months to beat it and doing so felt like an accomplishment. But when Legend came out, I was able to beat it in a matter of days and it was more like a footnote than an accomplishment. The original Splinter Cell encouraged stealth and non-lethal silent engagement of whatever terrorists or other opposition you're up against. I'm afraid Conviction is going to be another "throw stealth to the wind and shoot the shit out of everything" type of game. That kind of thing is fun and all when you're in the mood for it, but it doesn't fly all the time.

No offense to anyone, but I'm really getting tired of game developers being influenced into destroying game franchises I love by gamers that throw controllers through TVs if they can't beat them in 5 minutes. :mad:

BTW, my Internet has been out, so that's why I've been absent.

Excalibur 05-27-2010 02:31 AM

Well this game isn't hard enough...to me anyway. I beat every single mission in Realism mode. But that's probably because they don't change the number of enemies or the scripted routes they take. Just that they have sharper senses.

You still take just the same amount of damage even in rookie mode. So I've built up a skill of not getting seen or shot at. And even if I do go full Rambo, half the time, I manage to kill everything and it doesn't matter if I get hit a couple times because my health regenerates.