imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting Inked (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1702)

Gunmaster45 04-28-2011 03:07 AM

Getting Inked

In exactly 2 months I'll be turning 18. In celebration of that, I'll be getting a tattoo on my left arm shoulder of an M1911A1 silhouette. Thought the IMFDb community might find that interesting. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it. :)

Excalibur 04-28-2011 03:09 AM

So instead of going to a strip club with your friends for a couple of lap dances, you wanted to get a tattoo.

Swordfish941 04-28-2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 28142)
In exactly 2 months I'll be turning 18. In celebration of that, I'll be getting a tattoo on my left arm shoulder of an M1911A1 silhouette. Thought the IMFDb community might find that interesting. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it. :)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20..._merovech1.gif

But I'd have to agree with Excalibur. Go to a strip club first, and then get the Tattoo.

S&Wshooter 04-28-2011 03:29 AM

Hopefully you will not come to regret this decision. At least you are putting it somewhere easily covered up

Gunmaster45 04-28-2011 04:21 AM

http://i52.tinypic.com/mvrdkn.jpg

Here's an idea of what it will look like using photoshop. I put the picture of the muzzle next to it because making it a silhouette messed up the outline.

Gunmaster45 04-28-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 28144)
So instead of going to a strip club with your friends for a couple of lap dances, you wanted to get a tattoo.

I will, no worries. This just requires a little more planning ahead of time than going to a strip club. (Also, it's not as relevant to discuss that plan on this forum x D)

S&Wshooter 04-28-2011 04:25 AM

Getting all that filled in is just going to be awesome and totally not painful [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, that would be a cool looking tattoo

Gunmaster45 04-28-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 28152)
Getting all that filled in is just going to be awesome and totally not painful [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, that would be a cool looking tattoo

Oh, I know it'll hurt. But I've a pretty high pain threshold, I'll be fine.

funkychinaman 04-28-2011 05:59 AM

I'm not saying you shouldn't get it, but you might not be the same person in ten years that you are now, and this is something you'll take to the grave. I did a lot of things at eighteen that I wouldn't do now, I'm sure the older folks here probably did too. I don't think there's any harm in waiting.

That being said, I'm always in the mood for boobies. That's something that doesn't go away when you get older.

MT2008 04-29-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 28155)
you might not be the same person in ten years that you are now, and this is something you'll take to the grave.

Yeah, just think...10 years from now, he might be some gun-hating liberal soccer Dad who drives a hybrid. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Can't remember if I've ever mentioned it before, but I got a tattoo when I was 21. It's two crossed oars with "HOCR 06" underneath - and I regret it now because I'm no longer rowing, so it commemorates something that isn't important to me anymore. But at least mine is on my upper back.

GunMaster, if you get a 1911 tattoo on your upper arm, I think that's a very bad idea. I'm not opposed to tattoos per se, or even gun tattoos, but getting a tattoo that's that big and that visible when wearing short sleeves is dumb. Even if you think a short sleeve shirt will mostly cover it up in plain view, it might still be visible at certain angles. I'd get it on your back instead.

And don't forget...as much as it sucks, we live in a world where people will make character judgments about you based on a gun tattoo. That could affect employment prospects, and also your chances with girls (try bringing one home and showing her that tat - how do you think she'll react?) I hate to encourage you to accept political correctness, and if you still feel brave enough that you can proudly sport a 1911 tat, then that's your choice. But I'd think long and hard about the consequences (if you haven't already).

Swordfish941 04-29-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 28190)
Yeah, just think...10 years from now, he might be some gun-hating liberal soccer Dad who drives a hybrid. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Can't remember if I've ever mentioned it before, but I got a tattoo when I was 21. It's two crossed oars with "HOCR 06" underneath - and I regret it now because I'm no longer rowing, so it commemorates something that isn't important to me anymore. But at least mine is on my upper back.

GunMaster, if you get a 1911 tattoo on your upper arm, I think that's a very bad idea. I'm not opposed to tattoos per se, or even gun tattoos, but getting a tattoo that's that big and that visible when wearing short sleeves is dumb. Even if you think a short sleeve shirt will mostly cover it up in plain view, it might still be visible at certain angles. I'd get it on your back instead.

And don't forget...as much as it sucks, we live in a world where people will make character judgments about you based on a gun tattoo. That could affect employment prospects, and also your chances with girls (try bringing one home and showing her that tat - how do you think she'll react?) I hate to encourage you to accept political correctness, and if you still feel brave enough that you can proudly sport a 1911 tat, then that's your choice. But I'd think long and hard about the consequences (if you haven't already).

Good points. I'm never going to get a Tattoo because I really, really, REALLY hate needles.

Gunmaster45 04-29-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 28190)

I was thinking I might make it a little smaller and a little higher so short sleeves can hide it. As for what girls will think, I wouldn't be very interested in a girl who'd be quick to judge something like that, I've dealt with that before, I try to find girls who are at the very least tolerant of guns, or indifferent. Otherwise it's a lot of ignorant, annoying attempts to "change" me. I'm pretty modest anyway, and rarely wear short sleeves unless it's too hot not to.

I think I can take the odds. I'll make it hideable for jobs, and if someone sees it and is so quick to judge, fuck em.

S&Wshooter 04-29-2011 08:28 PM

Maybe you should get a small 1911 higher up on your arm instead.

MT2008 04-29-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 28193)
I was thinking I might make it a little smaller and a little higher so short sleeves can hide it.

Almost any tattoo on your arm/shoulder (unless at the very top) is going to be visible when you wear short sleeves, unless you wear really tight sleeves.

Quote:

I'm pretty modest anyway, and rarely wear short sleeves unless it's too hot not to.

You live in New York, right? What if you move South? Then you'll be wearing short sleeves more often (though admittedly, at least the South is a little more firearm-hospitable).

Quote:

As for what girls will think, I wouldn't be very interested in a girl who'd be quick to judge something like that, I've dealt with that before, I try to find girls who are at the very least tolerant of guns, or indifferent. Otherwise it's a lot of ignorant, annoying attempts to "change" me.

There are plenty of girls are OK with guys who shoot guns, and even some who will shoot with you. That's not the issue. Getting a gun inked on yourself is (outside of the military) sending them a major red flag that guns are your life, not just a hobby. Even if that's true, it's not something I would ever want to advertise. I have never told any girl that I shoot before I tell them anything else about myself. And frankly, guns aren't my life, anyway.

And you can complain that it's unfair, and blame it on the liberals for poisoning people's heads with anti-gun propaganda, and whatnot. But the fact is, with women, you need to take their "ignorance" as a given when you make a first impression.

Quote:

I think I can take the odds. I'll make it hideable for jobs, and if someone sees it and is so quick to judge, fuck em.

It's really easy to say that now, but wait until you're in a situation where it actually happens. Maybe you should at least move to Texas or something first.

As I've said already, I'd get this tat on your back, nowhere else. But don't expect me to endorse this, even though I'm sure others on here might. I can almost assure you that, sooner or later, you will regret it (regardless of how you feel about guns in the future).

S&Wshooter 04-29-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 28195)
Almost any tattoo on your arm/shoulder (unless at the very top) is going to be visible when you wear short sleeves, unless you wear really tight sleeves.

My father has a medium sized lion on his upper arm that people, some which he had known for 15 years after he had got the tattoo, don't see until he shows them. His normal clothing? Short sleeve Polos.

If it isn't gigantic and is high up on the arm, no one will see it. However, I still do not recommend getting a tattoo

MT2008 04-29-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 28196)
My father has a medium sized lion on his upper arm that people, some which he had known for 15 years after he had got the tattoo, don't see until he shows them. His normal clothing? Short sleeve Polos.

I wear polos sometimes. Most of my polo shirts have sleeves that are fairly tight. When I wear other short sleeve T-shirts, I'd expect at least glimpses of a tattoo to be visible.

I guess the other thing to consider is arm thickness. I have pretty skinny arms, so anything I wear isn't going to conform very tightly to them. If your Dad has thicker arms, I'm guessing that the sleeves will wrap around them pretty tightly, so it's unlikely anyone would catch an accidental glimpse of his tat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 28196)
I still do not recommend getting a tattoo

Well, I'm glad we agree on that much.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I had a skin rash right after I got mine, in addition to the pain from the needle and ink. You might find that you're allergic to stuff in the ink, as I was. Even now, my back still itches in the spring sometimes.

funkychinaman 04-29-2011 09:12 PM

Wait, you live in New York? Then I'd definitely reconsider. My aunt didn't want me to list my time on the rifle team in college on my resume, for fear that it'd give possible employers the wrong impression, even though it's a legitimate (Olympic) sport and one of my extra-curriculars in college. She might be paranoid, but this is the Northeast, hardly the most gun-friendly area of the country.

S&Wshooter 04-29-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 28195)
It's really easy to say that now, but wait until you're in a situation where it actually happens. Maybe you should at least move to Texas or something first.

That is some really good advice

MT2008 04-29-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 28201)
Wait, you live in New York? Then I'd definitely reconsider. My aunt didn't want me to list my time on the rifle team in college on my resume, for fear that it'd give possible employers the wrong impression, even though it's a legitimate (Olympic) sport and one of my extra-curriculars in college. She might be paranoid, but this is the Northeast, hardly the most gun-friendly area of the country.

Even in the South, I'm still not so sure it would be a good idea. But yes, NY seems like the worst place that anyone could go around with a 1911 tattooed on their body.

GM45, please don't do it. I know my opinion doesn't matter to you, but I think it's a really bad idea.

Gunmaster45 04-29-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 28203)
Even in the South, I'm still not so sure it would be a good idea. But yes, NY seems like the worst place that anyone could go around with a 1911 tattooed on their body.

GM45, please don't do it. I know my opinion doesn't matter to you, but I think it's a really bad idea.

I understand your concern, I'll give it a little more thought.

funkychinaman 04-29-2011 11:41 PM

Do you have any plans for military service? It seems that a good cover-all excuse for any tattoo (excluding racist or criminal ones) is "I was in the Navy." (It's better than the other cover-all excuse, "I was in prison.")

k9870 04-29-2011 11:55 PM

Yeah its unfair we live in the world where that tatoo will limit the jobs you can get and all, and employers, schools, etc, will judge you, but its the way it is. Get a back tatoo or something. (if you get one at all.)

Also, these are irreversible, get something you want, dont get something to try and look cool.

S&Wshooter 04-29-2011 11:58 PM

[bad advice] Get a tatto on your neck; work in construction for the rest of your life[/bad advice]

BurtReynoldsMoustache 04-30-2011 12:02 AM

Tattoo removal is painful, long, and expensive. And by long I mean months to years. Also strip clubs are stupid.

k9870 04-30-2011 12:16 AM

strip club age is 21 here:mad:

Ah well 3 months

Swordfish941 04-30-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 28215)
Tattoo removal is painful, long, and expensive. And by long I mean months to years. Also strip clubs are stupid.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/295597...jpg?1278836943

BurtReynoldsMoustache 04-30-2011 12:26 AM

Awful lot of people not getting anything from real women in this thread... :rolleyes:

k9870 04-30-2011 12:31 AM

I get plenty, just a change of scenery is nice every once in a while:cool:

The look but dont touch rule was made for a reason.

Swordfish941 04-30-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 28221)
I get plenty, just a change of scenery is nice every once in a while:cool:

The look but dont touch rule was made for a reason.

Damn it, I need to go out and find myself a girlfriend.

Gunmaster45 04-30-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 28220)
Awful lot of people not getting anything from real women in this thread... :rolleyes:

Don't start that shit here. First and only warning. Extremely uncalled for.

/end pissing match

MT2008 04-30-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 28212)
Do you have any plans for military service? It seems that a good cover-all excuse for any tattoo (excluding racist or criminal ones) is "I was in the Navy." (It's better than the other cover-all excuse, "I was in prison.")

I've seen pictures of Marines who have crossed M16s tatted on their back, that's about it. Unless it's something cool like that which commemorates service and the weapon is only part of the picture, I think having a gun tattoo in general is a bad idea.

That being said, I remember at the place I went to, I was looking through a flipbook of some available tats, and the artist had actually inked some guns on people (including a really detailed Uzi). So obviously there are people who get gun tattoos without doing service or anything. I just wouldn't want to be one of them. ;)

Gunmaster45 05-02-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 28212)

"I was in Navy... prison... >.>..."

Swordfish941 05-02-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 28316)
"I was in Navy... prison... >.>..."

Navies have prisons?

k9870 05-02-2011 01:16 AM

Yeah, and the brig is hardcore, no 3 nice meals and cable tv bs there,just punishment.

funkychinaman 05-02-2011 02:24 PM

Well, in that case, the less than honorable discharge will probably end more interviews than any awkward tattoos.