imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "List of firearms used by U.S. Armed Forces" page (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2017)

commando552 07-19-2012 01:21 PM

"List of firearms used by U.S. Armed Forces" page

Is this sort of page allowed on the site? To me it seems like it strays a bit far from the purpose of the site, as i don't think it is really helpful in idewntifying guns as there is not reason that movies/tv/games will use the correct guns for whatever branch of the US forces is being portrayed. It goes a bit too far into the "gun encyclopedia" territory.

zackmann08 07-19-2012 02:32 PM

As long as it sticks to guns that already are on the site, I think its a great idea. Just like the Manufacturers pages, it can help to identify weapons, which after all is the purpose of this site.

That being said, I have warned the user who created the page that in the future if he has a new idea like this, he needs to consult the admins BEFORE he creates the page.

commando552 07-19-2012 03:30 PM

The thing is though, I don't think it does help to identify weapons as when US forces are portrayed in media they are not necessarily given correct weapons. If this page is getting the ok, where do you draw the line? Will there end up being hundreds of pages for ever country in the world that has a military? As far as I see it the only purpose of pages like this is for nitpicking about guns hat are incorrectly used. That being said, if there is a consensus that these pages are useful then I will help in making them.

Excalibur 07-19-2012 03:54 PM

Yeah, since a lot of members are not Americans, do we do pages of other military? Police forces?

funkychinaman 07-19-2012 04:58 PM

It might actually be misleading. Yes, US forces use the M9, but how many real M9s are in films? And always remember "IMFDB is not a gun encyclopedia." And doesn't Wikipedia already have a page like this?

The Wierd It 07-19-2012 05:13 PM

Yes, it does. Two, in fact, since it distinguishes between individual and crew-served weapons.

AdAstra2009 07-19-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 35492)
Yeah, since a lot of members are not Americans, do we do pages of other military? Police forces?

Only pages of forces that have large representation in film in my opinion.

The Wierd It 07-19-2012 06:59 PM

So that'd just be the Americans and the military of the Third Reich then.

Spartan198 07-21-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 35496)
So that'd just be the Americans and the military of the Third Reich then.

And the LA and NYPD.

Mr.Ice 07-21-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 35491)
The thing is though, I don't think it does help to identify weapons as when US forces are portrayed in media they are not necessarily given correct weapons. If this page is getting the ok, where do you draw the line? Will there end up being hundreds of pages for ever country in the world that has a military? As far as I see it the only purpose of pages like this is for nitpicking about guns hat are incorrectly used. That being said, if there is a consensus that these pages are useful then I will help in making them.

I have two guideline ideas to help keep these kind of articles under control:

* The military of a country must appear a certain number of times in media covered by the site.

* Must have at least 10 weapons that are already covered on the wiki.