imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   In this topic: You name the guns you can't ever identify right. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=946)

Clutch 02-10-2010 02:28 AM

In this topic: You name the guns you can't ever identify right.

M16/AR-15 series rifles - TOO MANY VARIATIONS. Unless you have clear, unfettered shots of the gun you're trying to ID, I'm about 95% wrong. Actually, more like 97%, once you factor in the Canadian models. "Oh, that's an M4A1! No? A Diemaco C7? ****."

Revolvers - kind of the same problem as above. Unless it's something really distinctive to me, like a Smith & Wesson or a Colt Python, or even one of the 19th century guns, I'm usually off.

Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s. From a distance, anyway.

S&Wshooter 02-10-2010 02:54 AM

Shotguns that don't have a unique appearance
Muskets
Old, foreign guns
Chinese and South American guns
M16 type rifles- too many variants

Excalibur 02-10-2010 04:32 AM

AK brands. They all look the same to me.

Spartan198 02-10-2010 04:57 AM

Revolvers mainly.

I'm way too familiar with AR-15s, AKs, and semi-auto pistols to, in most cases, not know what I'm seeing.

Excalibur 02-10-2010 05:49 AM

I can't ID old fashion guns that are associated with the Old West like Winchesters or early colt revolvers

Nyles 02-10-2010 04:29 PM

Mostly modern stuff, espescially S&W autos and non-military AR variants. Oh, and the different variants of MP5. Just never really cared.

MT2008 02-10-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch (Post 11729)
M16/AR-15 series rifles - TOO MANY VARIATIONS. Unless you have clear, unfettered shots of the gun you're trying to ID, I'm about 95% wrong. Actually, more like 97%, once you factor in the Canadian models. "Oh, that's an M4A1! No? A Diemaco C7? ****."

I don't mean to confuse you even more...but there are no Diemaco C7 rifles in any movies or TV shows. Diemaco/Colt Canada doesn't sell its rifles to anyone outside of military/LE, including film armorers. A Canadian armorer actually told me this.

The rifles that we've been identifying on IMFDB as "C7s" are actually pre-1994 Olympic Arms K4B rifles, which have the same type of receiver as the C7, but are different manufacture. The way I figured it out is because they all seem to have the OA "Stowaway' pistol grip; one of the armories in British Columbia owns them and sends them out to lots of shows.

Some day, I'm gonna have to change the M16 page, and all the movie/TV pages where we've called the guns "C7s", to reflect this new understanding. I may even have to ditch the C7 section completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 11809)
Mostly modern stuff, espescially S&W autos and non-military AR variants. Oh, and the different variants of MP5. Just never really cared.

Eh, that's alright, I think we have more than enough people who know the modern stuff. :) I think it's really important that we have more people who can distinguish between different manufacturers of older weapons. I can tell apart most AKs of different manufacture, for example, but I'd be hard-pressed to tell the differences between the various Mauser copies that are out there.

Excalibur 02-10-2010 04:50 PM

Can't tell the difference between some of the shorty M16 models like the 727s to the sporter carbines

MT2008 02-10-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 11813)
Can't tell the difference between some of the shorty M16 models like the 727s to the sporter carbines

The 727 is easy; it has the stepped barrel, like an M4.

The others, I admit I don't know them all, either. Which is why I like the AR chart.

Excalibur 02-10-2010 08:04 PM

Can someone tell me when I looked at Worldguns' website and in the M4 section, they have an M4 with a fixed carrying handle and call it an early M4. What's the difference between that an a 727?