imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Blogger claims Obama is wearing a shoulder holster (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2073)

k9870 10-17-2012 06:47 PM

if im ever president id shoulder carry a nice 1911. Nice gun, nice holster, nice suit. Nice pocket knife too. Then id get a call and pull out a lame out of date phone or something.

funkychinaman 10-17-2012 07:08 PM

I think the current setup works well. An unarmed president represents our willingness to work things out peacefully, his heavily armed bodyguards represent our capability for a more forceful alternative.

Excalibur 10-17-2012 07:38 PM

Just because you are armed, doesn't mean you are not willing to work things out. You're looking too deeply

commando552 10-17-2012 10:37 PM

I would highly doubt that the Secret Service these days would allow the President to carry a gun, if for no other reason than it would be a gun in the vicinity of the President which they were not in control of.

Krel 10-18-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 36466)
I think I read that Teddy Roosevelt routinely carried while president. I don't know if that was only during his free time or to official functions though.

I'm sure if a president really insisted, he probably can carry if he wanted to. The president wasn't allowed to carry a cell phone until Obama insisted.

There is a tale, that while attending a party held by the ruler of Turkey Teddy Roosevelt stuck a .32 into his waistband without a holster. During the party, the pistol worked loose and and down the pants leg to clatter noisily onto the marble floor.

It wasn't the cell phone that the Secret Service had a problem with, it was his Blackberry, which they consider to be a security problem.

I'm left-handed and wear my watch on my right wrist, but I know a few south paws that wear theirs on their left wrist.

David.

Seriously Mike 10-18-2012 08:58 AM

As far as 19th-20th century heads of state go, I believe that King Zog of Albania takes the cake: not only he was packing, but also once happened to return fire when attacked. And yes, he had quite a few enemies.

The Wierd It 10-18-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krel (Post 36476)
I'm left-handed and wear my watch on my right wrist

Ditto.10CHARLIMIT

S&Wshooter 10-18-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 36478)
Ditto.10CHARLIMIT

Same here, but only because most of the watches I have owned had buttons on the left side that would eventually be pressed and mess up the watch if I were to wear it on my left wrist.

Excalibur 10-18-2012 05:23 PM

I haven't worn a watch in forever. My phone has been my watch.

It's actually an interesting evolution in society. We started with pocket watches, then moved to wrist watches and to cellphone in our pocket that pretty much is a resurrection of pocket watches

S&Wshooter 10-18-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 36483)
I haven't worn a watch in forever. My phone has been my watch.

This thread is now about watches.

I wouldn't be able to stand not wearing a watch. I kind of need to wear them, anyways.