imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   new ad unit (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2134)

bunni 01-25-2013 08:28 PM

new ad unit

I'm testing a new ad unit position in the top right. I removed the ad unit from the sidebar. Our server costs have tripled in the last 3 months but our income has not, I'm hoping this position makes up the difference. Let me know if you run into any weird issues.

Ben41 01-25-2013 11:25 PM

I noticed that when looking a differences in revisions, the new ad corner blocks off the edits seen on the right. Also, the poster titles are now misaligned for the movies and tv titles that don't have infoboxes.

bunni 01-27-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben41 (Post 37729)
I noticed that when looking a differences in revisions, the new ad corner blocks off the edits seen on the right. Also, the poster titles are now misaligned for the movies and tv titles that don't have infoboxes.

Hey Ben, my recommendations for dedicated users and admins if it's interfering with your work are to

1) run an ad blocking extension for your browser

or

2) change your skin in your user preferences to something without ads, I like to use Modern because it's a simple skin and the site loads much faster

The new ad placement is performing well and will allow us to add another web server, a file server, and a load balancer (which we are in desperate need of).

The goal of the ads is not to bother our dedicated users and admins but rather to earn some income from the search traffic we generate from people who come to the site looking for an answer to a specific question once or twice but not necessarily to contribute.

I'm not sure what to do about the poster titles, can you link me to an example?

funkychinaman 01-28-2013 02:05 AM

I don't know what's going on, I don't see the new ads at all. (I'm using Monobook for appearance.) Are the old Amazon ads gone as well?

I see the space on the right upper corner of the main page, but it's empty.

Ben41 01-28-2013 02:35 AM

I took your suggestions and it seems to be working. Thanks. I'll all for more revenue to help this great site continue.

SPEMack618 01-28-2013 03:14 AM

Yeah, it's worked fine for me, and I've played with the site all day, in IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

Could someone please explain to me how the site generates revenue from the ads again?

Do I need to go buy something from the vendors listed?

bunni 01-31-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37751)
I don't know what's going on, I don't see the new ads at all. (I'm using Monobook for appearance.) Are the old Amazon ads gone as well?

I see the space on the right upper corner of the main page, but it's empty.

Monobook also doesn't have ads. In fact, the only skin that does have ads is Vector, which is the default, but there are many skin options so that users don't have to see ads.