imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Books (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=981)

Swordfish941 03-06-2010 07:16 PM

Favorite Books

I've just finished reading "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman (the guy's written mostly scripts, he should get back to writing novels). It was pretty good, espicially with the mixing of genres. My favorite genre is fantasy. I've fallen in love with the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. I've read "The Hobbit" about 7 times and never get tired of it. My mom read the first book of "The Lord Of the Rings" when the films originally came out. We stopped in the begining of "The Two Towers" because the whole part with Merry and Pippin and the orcs scared me. My birthday is coming up on the 16th of March and I want the book "Beowulf" (it's actually a 1,000 year old poem written in Anglo-Saxon).

k9870 03-06-2010 07:24 PM

I think stephen hunter writes some good books. the bob lee swagger books are good (at least point of impact (shooter was based on) time to hunt and I sniper. I heard the other novels kind of veered away. Pale horse coming is good too.

Matthew reilly wrotes some fun reads. The shane schofield series (ice station, area 7, scarecrow) were great. There just over the top action, fun as hell.

i liked Without remorse by tom clancy, several of his other novels tend to drag on though.

Excalibur 03-06-2010 08:30 PM

I've been reading Battle Royale. A translated from Japanese. It's very interesting.

Zulu Two Six 03-07-2010 03:31 AM

Band of Brothers....Flags of our Fathers....Jarhead....Marine Snyper (the story of Carlos Hathcock)......And some book about a Desert Storm Marine who looks like Matt Damon....

can you see a trend going on here?

Excalibur 03-07-2010 05:57 AM

Read any books that hasn;t been made into a movie

Spartan198 03-07-2010 06:04 AM

The Axis of Time trilogy by John Birmingham, specifically Book 3 "Final Impact".

FirearmFan 03-07-2010 08:43 AM

I second Stephen Hunter. I've read Point of Impact, Black Light, Time to Hunt, The 47th Samurai, Night of Thunder, Hot Springs, Pale Horse Coming, Havana, and Dirty White Boys. I thought they were all excellent. I plan on reading I, Sniper next.

Tom Clancy books are pretty good too. I've read Endwar and Ghost Recon.

I just finished reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks and right now I'm reading World War Z.

Spartan198 03-07-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirearmFan (Post 12411)
Tom Clancy books are pretty good too. I've read Endwar and Ghost Recon.

A friend of mine, who calls himself a "Clancy-phile", read EndWar and told me it was one of the worst-written books he's ever read.

Alcatrazz 03-07-2010 12:53 PM

The Iliad and The Odyssey is the greatest narrative created by humans ever.

Spartan198 03-07-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 12413)
The Iliad and The Odyssey is the greatest narrative created by humans ever.

This man speaks the unquestionable, etched-in-stone truth.