imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

funkychinaman 04-25-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38853)
A while ago, I picked up one with a synthetic stock and it had a thinner grip so people with smaller hands can fully grasp it. I've always found the wood stock to be a bit thick to hold onto and I've got pretty big hands.

I've always wanted to get a folding M1A1 stock.

Mandolin 04-29-2013 09:09 PM

I bought an IO AK-47 a few months back. Any suggestions on hearing protection that won't get in the way when I aim? I can't get my cheek up against the stock right with my current Wal-Mart ear protection.

The Wierd It 04-29-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38874)
I bought an IO AK-47 a few months back. Any suggestions on hearing protection that won't get in the way when I aim? I can't get my cheek up against the stock right with my current Wal-Mart ear protection.

Does your range allow things like these?

commando552 04-29-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 38874)

I just use a pair of Peltor Shotgunners and have never had a problem with a cheek weld, but everyone is different. For earmuffs they are pretty low profile along with being cheap, simple and will last forever.

k9870 05-09-2013 04:40 AM

put a lwd 3.5 in my glock, improves it a lot

Chitoryu12 05-12-2013 04:00 AM

Not a real gun, but I got an airsoft H&K USP powered by CO2 cartridges. Decent film prop if I repaint the big red HK logo on the grip, and it shoots pretty well.

Excalibur 05-14-2013 08:10 PM

I am now the proud owner of a Gen 4 Glock 19

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...GEDC0001-2.jpg

S&Wshooter 05-23-2013 11:42 PM

Brand new S&W Model 915 w/ a very lightly used Bianchi Universal holster

k9870 05-24-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39057)
I am now the proud owner of a Gen 4 Glock 19

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...GEDC0001-2.jpg

love mine, got the vickers mag release as the gen 4 release sucks. Ameriglo sights through blue label program as the stock sights suck, and a lwd connector.

Excalibur 05-24-2013 03:14 AM

Actually I like the Gen 4 mag release over previous styles. The older style after markets make the mag release button stick out a bit too much to the point where it pokes your hand if you aren't holding it exactly the right spot.

predator20 05-24-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39125)
Brand new S&W Model 915 w/ a very lightly used Bianchi Universal holster

The 915 is a great buy. How does it compare with your Model 59?

Also while Father's day is about a month away. I bought a Marlin Model 60 with laminated stock for my dad. Also covers birthday and Christmas. He already has a Model 60 but the magazine tube stopped at the stock. He had been talking about getting a new one for months.

S&Wshooter 05-24-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 39136)
The 915 is a great buy. How does it compare with your Model 59?

Model 459

The 915 is a just a little more "user friendly". The sight are more visible, trigger's a bit better, it's a little lighter, and it sits slightly better in my hand.

I like the holster that came with it, too

S&Wshooter 05-24-2013 07:02 PM

I want to dual wield 9mm's now

S&Wshooter 05-24-2013 11:34 PM

My uncle picked up the Kimber Team Match II my father ordered for him from our FFL today (he wanted a 1911 just like the one my father has, so he got one), and I let them take the 915 to test fire it (I didn't go since I am exhausted from yesterday and it's way too hot out). Everything about it apparently works perfectly, and my father was saying it's way more accurate for him than his Team Match II

Good: The gun is awesome
Bad: My father wants it now

CanopyFive 06-03-2013 01:28 PM

New Baby

Recently added this to my collection.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...86995171_o.jpg

It's a SAM Inc. Philippine-made ATI-imported 1911 in .45. I picked it up for $405 shipped, brand new, online. I was really trying to hold out for a Springfield Mil-Spec, but my desire to own a 1911 again, and my gf's desire for me to own a 1911, overrode my patience.

I was a little wary of buying anything but an American-made 1911, but for the price, I just couldn't let it go. I've put almost a thousand rounds through it so far and have yet to come into any problems. Nice pistol for the price.

k9870 06-06-2013 04:00 AM

trying to sell my 686p so i can afford a ssr, want to be competition legal

mpe2010 06-07-2013 06:57 PM

Bought a Makarov for $268.

predator20 06-12-2013 05:28 AM

Traded my SIG P220 +$100 for a used Beretta CX4 Storm that takes 92 mags. (Buds had them listed $850 new) He gave me $650 on trade, which is what I paid for it. The crazy thing is, I had it on consignment for a month at another shop, and then couldn't sell it for two months locally at $625 with an extra mag and box of ammo. Worked out good I thought. The CX4 already had the accessory rails installed. Came with two factory 20 rounders and I got plenty extra 92 mags lying around.

The P220 was a great pistol, but in the three years I had it, only took it out maybe four times. Always ended up shooting one of my 1911's instead when wanting to shoot a .45. But I'll never part with my P226.

S&Wshooter 06-17-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39139)
Bad: My father wants it now

I gave him the 915 for Father's Day. He was so touched by it and the thought behind it that he cried a little

S&Wshooter 06-17-2013 05:40 PM

I also threw in one of my Promag mags. They may be cheap, but we haven't had a single problem with them so far. I'm not going to buy any more of them, though, now that I know Mec-Gar mags of that type aren't really that much more expensive.

S&Wshooter 06-26-2013 11:20 PM

Gettin' an FNX-45 pretty soon.

Birthday + parents owe me money + gratitude over the S&W 915 thing = FNX-45

S&Wshooter 07-01-2013 11:19 PM

Got my FNX. Love it

Yournamehere 07-02-2013 07:52 PM

I got a set of Uncle Mikes boot grips for my Model 60 a while ago but I never got pics of them on the gun. I took pictures of everything today so now you all finally get to see.

http://i.imgur.com/aTdwMsK.jpg

Admittedly, I feel undergunned carrying a 5 shot .38 snub with two speedloaders. I still feel like the coolest guy in the room when I have a 1970's vintage snub in the pocket of my 5.11 Taclite Pros with a Tommy Bahama Aloha shirt unbuttoned just enough for a white tank top to peek out. Only in South Florida.

Here are links to the other pics if anyone wants to see them.

Beretta 92SB: http://i.imgur.com/04QRqNg.jpg

Browning Hi-Power: http://i.imgur.com/LK4Atb3.jpg

S&W Model 19-5: http://i.imgur.com/gFPxcpt.jpg

Yournamehere 07-31-2013 12:22 AM

Got a Bullhide Belt for carry on the way. Got it at Daltech force because it seems to be the same exact product they sell at Bullhide belts but with Daltechs stamp, and 20 dollars cheaper. I'll see what I think of it.

Also said to hell with it and put in an order for a Raven Concealment Holster with tuckable IWB soft loops for the P228. Should see that in 10-12 weeks if I'm lucky.

predator20 08-01-2013 07:36 PM

Been wanting a 44 Mag for a long time. Smith & Wesson Model 629-1. It would have been cool to get a blued 29 but they command a premium over the 629. It being a -1 it doesn't have the pinned barrel or recessed cylinder, which commands a premium too. Couldn't beat the price a little over $700 with shipping and transfer fees.
http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/eb/Pred20SW629.jpg

S&Wshooter 08-01-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 39474)
Been wanting a 44 Mag for a long time. Smith & Wesson Model 629-1. It would have been cool to get a blued 29 but they command a premium over the 629. It being a -1 it doesn't have the pinned barrel or recessed cylinder, which commands a premium too. Couldn't beat the price a little over $700 with shipping and transfer fees.
http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/eb/Pred20SW629.jpg

I'll trade you an H&R 929 and half a ham sammich for it

predator20 08-02-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39475)
I'll trade you an H&R 929 and half a ham sammich for it

Make it a whole sammich and you got a deal!

S&Wshooter 08-02-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 39477)
Make it a whole sammich and you got a deal!

That's too damn much. No deal

ColonelTomb 08-05-2013 03:52 AM

Hey guys
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had gotten a Browning Hi Power...well, a lot of time has passed since then and there have been some...mods done to the gun. I tried to upload a picture of it but it doesn't seem to be working (?). I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'd be willing to email the pic to someone if they could upload it for me.

S&Wshooter 08-05-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelTomb (Post 39486)
Hey guys
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had gotten a Browning Hi Power...well, a lot of time has passed since then and there have been some...mods done to the gun. I tried to upload a picture of it but it doesn't seem to be working (?). I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'd be willing to email the pic to someone if they could upload it for me.

I'd walk you through it, but I totally forgot how to upload pictures

commando552 08-05-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Hey guys

You could always just upload in on IMFDB and then put it here using the "insert image" button at the top of the forum text editor window. If you do that, make sure to put the image of the gun on your user page so it doesn't get deleted as an unused file though.

ColonelTomb 08-06-2013 03:59 AM

Thanks for the help commando552, got it uploaded. Here she is:
http://www.imfdb.org/images/2/24/Hpmod.jpg

S&Wshooter 08-06-2013 04:12 AM

That's a nice Hi Power you've got there

ColonelTomb 08-06-2013 04:18 AM

Thanks, I love it! I can guarantee it will never be sold. After a trip to Don Williams of The Action Works, I'd say it looks a lot better than the shitty beat up T-series I found when I first opened the box. Mods are as follows:
Beveled mag well
Heinie Slant Pro sights w/ gold bead in the front
Reliability package
Refinish in matte blue
Remove magazine disconnect
Wolff heavy duty recoil spring
Extended strong side safety catch

So far the gun has been utterly reliable (except for some hang ups with some RWS 85 grain frangible ammo-jammed in a Glock 19 as well) through about 300 rounds. I'm probably going to take it to a local smith for a trigger job and potentially swap out the trigger for a Garthwaite competition unit. Grips are handmade red oak.

Yournamehere 08-06-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Hey guys

I'll PM you my email address and you can send me the pictures. I can show you how to upload them as well for the future.

predator20 08-06-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelTomb (Post 39495)
Thanks, I love it! I can guarantee it will never be sold. After a trip to Don Williams of The Action Works, I'd say it looks a lot better than the shitty beat up T-series I found when I first opened the box. Mods are as follows:
Beveled mag well
Heinie Slant Pro sights w/ gold bead in the front
Reliability package
Refinish in matte blue
Remove magazine disconnect
Wolff heavy duty recoil spring
Extended strong side safety catch

So far the gun has been utterly reliable (except for some hang ups with some RWS 85 grain frangible ammo-jammed in a Glock 19 as well) through about 300 rounds. I'm probably going to take it to a local smith for a trigger job and potentially swap out the trigger for a Garthwaite competition unit. Grips are handmade red oak.

Nice mods.
What was the turn around time with Don? Also why didn't you just have him do a trigger job?

ColonelTomb 08-06-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 39503)
Nice mods.
What was the turn around time with Don? Also why didn't you just have him do a trigger job?

Thanks. If memory serves me correct, turn around time was around 3-4 weeks. As for why I didn't have him do a trigger job...honestly I have no idea. For some reason I didn't even think about it until after I got the gun back and shot it some more. With the removal of the mag safety, the trigger is very smooth and crisp, however it rather heavy for a single action (~8 lbs would be my guess). That's what I would hope to remedy with the trigger job. I really wish I had went ahead and done the trigger job with Don because he has quite the reputation for putting a nice trigger on a Hi Power.

Yournamehere 08-08-2013 08:45 PM

Good to know Action Works does good work. I really want to customize my Hi-Power but I'm not sure who to send it to, or what I even want. Most people don't do older style upgrades which I think would fit my tastes better. You've got yourself a nice modernized classic there.

ColonelTomb 08-10-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 39519)
Good to know Action Works does good work. I really want to customize my Hi-Power but I'm not sure who to send it to, or what I even want. Most people don't do older style upgrades which I think would fit my tastes better. You've got yourself a nice modernized classic there.

The Action Works absolutely does good work. I would wholeheartedly recommend Don for any work you want done on your Hi Power, given that he is very skilled, his turnaround times are (in my experience) short, and his prices are more than likely the most reasonable you are going to find for the quality.

S&Wshooter 11-19-2013 06:39 PM

I plan to get a new stock for my Norinco, some mags, and a new set of grips for the 459