imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Obtaining a Glock 18 (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2202)

2wingo 05-11-2013 04:19 AM

Obtaining a Glock 18

Is there any way for someone who is neither law enforcement nor military to legally purchase and own the select-fire Glock 18 in the US, or are private citizens SOL on this one?

The Wierd It 05-11-2013 06:16 AM

I'm guessing you need to have all the necessary paper work to own a short-barrelled fully automatic weapon.

Assuming Glock sell it to private citizens in the first place rather than just LE/MIL customers.

commando552 05-11-2013 07:20 AM

Basically no. In order to buy a fully automatic weapon in the US it needs to be a registered weapon made before the 1986 National Firearms Act which banned them. As the Glock 18 was released in 1986 there are very few of them which were released before the ban. I think there are only something like 3 of them owned in the US. There are drop in selector switches than can convert any Glock to full auto, but similarly I do not believe that they were made before 1986 meaning that they are unavailable to civilians in the US.

k9870 05-12-2013 03:17 AM

you can become a ffl thats allowed dealer samples. Problem there is you have to prove a certain amount of business per year, theres a place near me with post 86 samples

2wingo 05-13-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39028)
Basically no. In order to buy a fully automatic weapon in the US it needs to be a registered weapon made before the 1986 National Firearms Act which banned them. As the Glock 18 was released in 1986 there are very few of them which were released before the ban. I think there are only something like 3 of them owned in the US. There are drop in selector switches than can convert any Glock to full auto, but similarly I do not believe that they were made before 1986 meaning that they are unavailable to civilians in the US.

Are there ways for civilians to legally convert semi-automatic weapons to full-auto?

commando552 05-14-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 39042)
Are there ways for civilians to legally convert semi-automatic weapons to full-auto?

Sometimes, but it is very much dependent on the weapon in question. For example it can be done with an AR-15 if you have a RDIAS (Registered Drop In Auto Sear), along with putting in a full auto fire control group and bolt carrier. As with full auto guns, the sear has to have been made and registered before 1986, meaning that today they are very valuable, to the point where they go for about $20,000 for a 2cm long component that is physically worth only about $50. This can also be done with H&K weapons either by installing a registered sear or an entire registered trigger pack. I don't know if there are other guns that can be legally converted to full auto by changing parts, i think there are some drop in sears for MAC-10s, but heard that they are actually more expensive than just getting a registered full auto MAC-10.