imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Glock Gen 5 to be available soon (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2528)

Spartan198 08-29-2017 01:14 PM

Glock Gen 5 to be available soon

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...kly+Newsletter

It's basically just the same as their -M series military/LE pistols, though.

Excalibur 08-29-2017 06:54 PM

Not really impressed. If they somehow many the mag release button ambi instead of just reversible, I'd be a bit more impressed. They didn't follow the trend of front cocking serrations even though they are releasing Gen 4s with them. They could have made the peep holes in the mag bigger

Mazryonh 08-30-2017 12:58 AM

What kind of perfection needs 5 versions to get right?

Why, it's "Glock Perfection," of course!

Does the Gen 5 release mean that Gen 4's production time will be short-lived?

Jcordell 08-30-2017 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazryonh (Post 43767)
What kind of perfection needs 5 versions to get right?

Why, it's "Glock Perfection," of course!

I like my G19 Gen 4. I hope my agency lets us older officers keep the Gen 4.

Excalibur 08-30-2017 08:46 PM

I just recently test fire this gun at my local gun range. I shot the G19 one.

Didn't noticed the lack of finger grooves much, but the flared magwell did force my grip to change just a bit. The gap in the front bottom of the grip is noticeable. Other than the orange follower that reminded me of the Glock mags, there's nothing really different. My shots are pretty descent so I did not notice anything real different, though I hate the Glock sights since I don't have them on my G19. Everything else about it feels the same. I didn't accidentally hold the slide stop up by accident. The present of an ambi slide stop was a bit irrelevant to me since I don't use the slide stop to release it during reloads. I understand why but without the present of a true ambi mag release, I feel this thing was half designed and they just slapped whatever was easier for their factory to make.

MT2008 10-10-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 43763)
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...kly+Newsletter

It's basically just the same as their -M series military/LE pistols, though.

Actually, the Gen 5 and the "M" series are not the same, contrary to my expectations (I would have figured that "M" was just an early designation for the FBI's Gen 5 guns before the latter hit the commercial market). I had the chance to handle both versions at a trade show recently, and I asked the Glock rep what's the difference. The "M" series have different barrels and different finishes on most of the parts than the Gen 5. I personally couldn't see any difference other than slide markings, even when I held a -17M and a -17 Gen 5 in each hand, but I trust that the guy knew what he was talking about.

Personally, I'm glad that they finally got rid of the finger grooves (aside from reminding me of the Gen 2s, it simply feels better in my hand), but there are still some things I feel could have been done better. I don't know why they haven't standardized extended slide releases yet, for example - the factory slide releases have always been too small. I'm debating whether to buy a Gen 5 G19, which would be the first G19 I own. (Right now, I have all the other major 9mm variants except the -19.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazryonh (Post 43767)

I doubt it; they haven't even stopped producing most of the Gen 3 models yet (which is impressive, when you consider that the Gen 3s have been around since the Clinton White House). Also, I asked if there were plans to introduce the .40-caliber models in Gen 5, and the Glock rep told me probably not yet - because they also got rid of the locking block pin (another throwback to the Gen 2 days), which was primarily added for the .40-caliber and .357 SIG Glocks. So at the very least, they'll have to keep producing Gen 4 Glocks in the larger calibers until they solve the engineering challenges associated with removing the locking block pin on the 9mm Gen 5s.

Jcordell 10-10-2017 11:12 PM

There comes a time in one's life when it just isn't important to buy the next year's model. Unless I have no choice I'm sticking with my G19-gen 4. I can start collecting my full pension on July 1, 2024. I don't see the need for the next variation with only 7 years left. Do I really have to change models....again? :rolleyes:

Spartan198 10-11-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 43855)
There comes a time in one's life when it just isn't important to buy the next year's model. Unless I have no choice I'm sticking with my G19-gen 4. I can start collecting my full pension on July 1, 2024. I don't see the need for the next variation with only 7 years left. Do I really have to change models....again? :rolleyes:

Ultimately, they're both just [insert preferred caliber] pistols and a Gen 5 probably isn't going to be any better or worse than a 3 or 4.

I'm personally too obsessed with the P320 right now to be concerned with another Glock. :D

Jcordell 10-11-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 43858)
Ultimately, they're both just [insert preferred caliber] pistols and a Gen 5 probably isn't going to be any better or worse than a 3 or 4.

I'm personally too obsessed with the P320 right now to be concerned with another Glock. :D

I get it. The G19 is one of my work-tools. My interest is revolvers. Don't care about the little tweaks that Glock is doing. Hopefully my agency will just leave my gen-4 with me. When the New York Times ran an in-depth article on the old NYPD officers who were still carrying revolvers (December 2004) I thought the old-timers were odd. Well guess what? Thirteen years later I'm older and I get it. I'll stick with what I've been carrying for many years now. Thanks.

Excalibur 10-12-2017 04:58 AM

Since I carry a Glock 19, a "newer" model would interest me, but the Gen 5 is a real bore now that I look deeper into it. I don't like the cut in the front bottom of the grip because I don't strip a stuck mag from there. I pinch the sides of the base plate and pull down. The flared magwell kinda makes it harder to seat flush mags if you don't send it home hard enough.