imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Evil Tim 08-31-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin1 (Post 32026)
The Romans and Mongolians did have huge empires and relativly small armies, but Germany would have to deal with the effects of modern technology.

Naw, they just needed to put more effort into 'hearts and minds.' The Romans held onto their Empire because they treated the locals slightly less like shit than the people who had ruled the locals before, and the Mongols showed that people who think you're going to remove their hearts and minds if they cross you in any way tend to do what you tell them to.

Basically, Germany couldn't really count on much local support since their army was full of bastards, but they weren't bastardly enough to scare people into helping them further their goals without constantly sabotaging them, either. Except on the Russian front where they were so bastardly there was no point in surrendering or helping them out since they'd kill you anyway.

Granted, Germany got as far as it did largely due to all the other European leaders being amazingly stupid for about 50 years beforehand, but had they actually managed to draw serious, reliable manpower from the countries they were invading rather than recruiting all the people who would normally become dinner ladies and traffic wardens, they might have held onto their empire, at least for a while. Then again, this puts you back in the "Nazis not being Nazis" school of alternate history.

Mandolin1 08-31-2011 09:37 PM

You're probly right, but the Germans still faced much more lethal resistance than the Romans and Mongolians. Besides, everyone knew that the Mongolians would level the entire area if you messed with them. Even the SS didn't raze entire cities after the death of a single man.

funkychinaman 08-31-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin1 (Post 32028)
You're probly right, but the Germans still faced much more lethal resistance than the Romans and Mongolians. Besides, everyone knew that the Mongolians would level the entire area if you messed with them. Even the SS didn't raze entire cities after the death of a single man.

I can't tell if there's sarcasm there.

S&Wshooter 09-01-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 32012)
Kill Bill was more inspired by kung fu films. Jackie Brown was Tarantino's Foxy Brown/Coffy lovefest.

I liked Jackie Brown because it didn't make Jackie out to be some kind of hand to hand fighting master capable of taking on a guy twice her size and of equal skill like a bunch of those Girl Power! movies portray their heroines to be. You knew that if she were to go toe-to-toe with Sam Jackson, he would have absolutely no problem beating the shit out of her. Because of this, she had to rely on the fact that she was extraordinarily crafty

Mandolin1 09-01-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

I liked Jackie Brown because it didn't make Jackie out to be some kind of hand to hand fighting master capable of taking on a guy twice her size and of equal skill like a bunch of those Girl Power! movies portray their heroines to be. You knew that if she were to go toe-to-toe with Sam Jackson, he would have absolutely no problem beating the shit out of her. Because of this, she had to rely on the fact that she was extraordinarily crafty
That sounds kind of like Columbiana. Cataleya goes hand-to-hand once in the entire movie, the rest of the time she uses a suppressed weapon, crawls through vents, and always moves as soon as she's make a kill.

The Wierd It 09-01-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin1 (Post 32028)
Even the SS didn't raze entire cities after the death of a single man.

I think the people of Lidice would debate that assertion.

funkychinaman 09-01-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 32038)
I think the people of Lidice would debate that assertion.

And Lezaky.

Mandolin1 09-01-2011 08:32 PM

True. Forgot that one.

k9870 09-02-2011 01:39 AM

dues ex is shipping to me, i'll see how i like it, i haven't played the others which may be a factor.

k9870 09-02-2011 09:46 PM

Dead island looks like a great game, why hadn't i heard of it?