imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

commando552 06-09-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42690)
An R rated comic book movie that makes LOTS of money....did someone say Deadpool?

Deadpool is totally the exception though. Having to beat a world record to be economically viable is not exactly what WB will be hoping for in their current financial situation. Besides, the absolute last thing we need is studios assuming that the R rating is what made Deadpool great and start churning out a bunch of crap with nudity and swearing slapped on.

It kind of makes sense with Wolverine 3 as that is about a guy essentially tearing people apart with his hands and at this point they have sort of earned it. It also makes sense that The Killing Joke is R rated, but they didn't aim for that, they just made it as they intended at accepted whatever rating it got.

Excalibur 06-09-2016 09:56 PM

Personally and I'm sure a lot agree with the fact that the rating system is bullshit and serves to limit what a movie can and cannot have. Like blood. If a movie has a lot of violence but little or no graphic display of blood, it's PG-13, but if there is gore, than it's R. Same with sexual content. If it's literal half ass, barely showing much and covered sex, it's PG13, but when full on nude with tits, it's R.

Same with swearing. A PG13 movie can say Fuck just once but dropping bombs and all the other words, R...

StanTheMan 06-09-2016 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42695)
Personally and I'm sure a lot agree with the fact that the rating system is bullshit and serves to limit what a movie can and cannot have. Like blood. If a movie has a lot of violence but little or no graphic display of blood, it's PG-13, but if there is gore, than it's R. Same with sexual content. If it's literal half ass, barely showing much and covered sex, it's PG13, but when full on nude with tits, it's R.

Same with swearing. A PG13 movie can say Fuck just once but dropping bombs and all the other words, R...

I agree with totally on this. That aside, c552 still said it. Especially about Deadpool. It was meant and expected to be an R film and could not be anyway else and work. A film should be graphic because that's a part of it or what it's about, it can't be there for the sake of it. Rating isn't everything. I say this as a diehard RoboCop fan who loathed the remake getting a PG-13 rating.. Ironically Robo wanted a PG-13 to hedge their bets on teen attendance when that was the wrong approach, whereas it's totally expected in this case. The alternative in Suicide Squad's case is going R and having a similar situation where they potentially shoot themselves in the foot, not something they need given how much they do have riding on this.

Sure, I admit I would have liked to see a more explicit R-style Harley (:D) but otherwise the film doesn't have anything to really necessitate an R-rating and will probably manage fine without it.

commando552 06-09-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42695)
Personally and I'm sure a lot agree with the fact that the rating system is bullshit and serves to limit what a movie can and cannot have. Like blood. If a movie has a lot of violence but little or no graphic display of blood, it's PG-13, but if there is gore, than it's R. Same with sexual content. If it's literal half ass, barely showing much and covered sex, it's PG13, but when full on nude with tits, it's R.

Same with swearing. A PG13 movie can say Fuck just once but dropping bombs and all the other words, R...

Its kind of weird as well how it has shifted over time, with more violence being allowed in PG-13 nowadays, but conversely you can show less nudity. I never understood the single "fuck" thing, if you say it, you say it, how many times seems irrelevant to me. They do occasionally give a PG-13 to films with more than one Fuck though, a recent example is "The Martian".

I'm assuming that with Suicide Squad there will be a ton of violence but very little blood, as they appear to be fighting supernatural non-bleeding creatures of some sort. My guess is that there will be one big cop-out with the rating, in that I bet that when the inevitably blow Slipknot's head off of his shoulders they will cut away and not actually show it.

Excalibur 06-09-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 42698)
My guess is that there will be one big cop-out with the rating, in that I bet that when the inevitably blow Slipknot's head off of his shoulders they will cut away and not actually show it.

Or as I like to call him "Mr only here to be killed as an example"...because I saw that already in the Suicide Squad movie Assault on Arkham

commando552 06-09-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 42697)
I agree with totally on this. That aside, c552 still said it. Especially about Deadpool. It was meant and expected to be an R film and could not be anyway else and work. A film should be graphic because that's a part of it or what it's about, it can't be there for the sake of it. Rating isn't everything. I say this as a diehard RoboCop fan who loathed the remake getting a PG-13 rating.. Ironically Robo wanted a PG-13 to hedge their bets on teen attendance when that was the wrong approach, whereas it's totally expected in this case. The alternative in Suicide Squad's case is going R and having a similar situation where they potentially shoot themselves in the foot, not something they need given how much they do have riding on this.

Sure, I admit I would have liked to see a more explicit R-style Harley (:D) but otherwise the film doesn't have anything to really necessitate an R-rating and will probably manage fine without it.

If they do the standalone Harley movie they are talking about I could potentially see that being R rated, as it would fit with the current comics.

Mentioning Robocop reminded me of another reason that they were not going to make an R rated Suicide squad: "Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made." WB want to be able to sell the shit out of the toys and merch from this film, and that market will be much bigger if they let kids see it.

commando552 06-09-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42699)
Or as I like to call him "Mr only here to be killed as an example"...because I saw that already in the Suicide Squad movie Assault on Arkham

They even pretty much say it in one of the trailers or spots, with Rick Flagg saying something like "If you try to run, you die", then immediately cut to a shot of Slipknot trying to grappling hook away.

StanTheMan 06-09-2016 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 42700)
If they do the standalone Harley movie they are talking about I could potentially see that being R rated, as it would fit with the current comics.

Mentioning Robocop reminded me of another reason that they were not going to make an R rated Suicide squad: "Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made." WB want to be able to sell the shit out of the toys and merch from this film, and that market will be much bigger if they let kids see it.

Well there is certainly that too. "The kids love this one!"

Excalibur 06-10-2016 02:51 PM

Harley is not really much of a stand alone character. I remembered in the cartoon, they added her with 2 other female villains, Poison Ivy and Live Wire and that was a fun episode

funkychinaman 06-10-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42705)
Harley is not really much of a stand alone character. I remembered in the cartoon, they added her with 2 other female villains, Poison Ivy and Live Wire and that was a fun episode

I don't think she even had her own book until this year.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.