imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting NY Times article on NYPD revolvers. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=634)

S&Wshooter 06-08-2018 04:51 AM

I remember reading about NYPD's revolvers a few months back, apparently the only allowed holster was really shoddy and was typically replaced yearly, and they didn't authorize speedloaders until AFTER the transition to autos

Jcordell 06-08-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44356)
I remember reading about NYPD's revolvers a few months back, apparently the only allowed holster was really shoddy and was typically replaced yearly, and they didn't authorize speedloaders until AFTER the transition to autos

The holster was made by a company out of New Jersey. I think the company is called Pgee or something like that. A Google search will show it. They aren't great. I heard the same thing about speed loaders. NYPD is an odd department.

Spartan198 06-08-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 44361)
The holster was made by a company out of New Jersey.

That's really all you needed to say. :p

Jcordell 06-08-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44364)
That's really all you needed to say. :p

Ha! I added photos that accompanied both articles to the postings. they have good photos of the old patrol holsters that the NYPD used when uniforms carried revolvers. Despite the issues with 38 special the department has always gone with good handguns. S*W, Colt and Ruger back in the day of wheel guns. Now Glock, Sig, S&W and Beretta in the semi-auto era. The biggest problem is that god-awful 12 pound trigger pull that the NYPD insists on. I've fired a Glock 19 that had the so-called "NYPD trigger" and it was a chore. Though revolvers typically have a 12 pound trigger pull as well the revolver is easier to work with.

S&Wshooter 06-10-2018 02:25 AM

IIRC they're down to just SIG and Glock, now, with reduced capacity (15 rather than the stock 17) mags in the Glock 17's

StanTheMan 06-17-2018 12:16 AM

"Today, patrol officers, the first cops to arrive on most calls, are being trained to deal with active shooters, who usually show up with assault weapons."

Bah, typical mis-term aside, something tells me that actual statistics won't bear that out.

And yeah, NYC is nuts about that trigger pull.

Jcordell 06-17-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 44384)
"Today, patrol officers, the first cops to arrive on most calls, are being trained to deal with active shooters, who usually show up with assault weapons."

Bah, typical mis-term aside, something tells me that actual statistics won't bear that out.

And yeah, NYC is nuts about that trigger pull.

The kid in Texas I believe had a 38 revolver and a pump shotgun.