imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rifle for California (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2492)

mpe2010 01-17-2017 02:22 AM

Rifle for California

So unfortunately I am PCSing to a base in California and I was wondering what you guys think would be a good rifle for self defense/SHTF/range use/whatever while still being legal. Obviously I have to leave all my ARs and AKs back in free America. I do plan on becoming well versed in California laws of course before i bring stuff over the border and I do realize that a defensive gun use in California could wind me up in a pile of legal trouble. Currently all i plan on bringing is a glock 19 with a lot of 10 round magazines. My current idea is for either a 308 bolt gun maybe in a scout configuration or perhaps a 30 30 lever gun.

S&Wshooter 01-17-2017 05:46 AM

SKS? Mossberg MVP? Get a shotgun?

Just watch them ban anything that isn't a single shot .22

AdAstra2009 01-17-2017 06:03 AM

PCSing, lol won't you already have your government issued m4 carbine????
On a side not I have heard they looking at a bill to ban all semi auto rifles. Barring that SKS rifle/mini14/su 16 or you can look into surplus military bolt action service rifles. If the laws though go the way of banning semi auto rifles I would just get a 12 gauge pump with a extended mag tube and call it a day.

Evil Tim 01-17-2017 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 43282)
SKS? Mossberg MVP? Get a shotgun?

Just watch them ban anything that isn't a single shot .22

SKS won't fly in Cali if it's one of the Yugoslavian ones that can take rifle grenades, those apparently have a "grenade launcher." Got to protect people from the menace of drive-by rifle grenadings!

commando552 01-17-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 43284)
SKS won't fly in Cali if it's one of the Yugoslavian ones that can take rifle grenades, those apparently have a "grenade launcher." Got to protect people from the menace of drive-by rifle grenadings!

I think the grenade launching muzzle is just one of the features that will make a semi-auto rifle with a removable mag banned isn't it? As the SKS has a non removable magazine isn't the number of features it has irrelevant, or is the legislation there different now than the classic AWB?

Excalibur 01-17-2017 03:11 PM

Look up the laws. There are ways to get an AR without all the bullshit. All you need is certain things not on that rifle and it can still work. It's bullshit that they made all these laws and then passed a law that says politicians are immune to them

mpe2010 01-17-2017 03:26 PM

An SKS seems like a good idea that I hadn't considered. Too bad they are going for 400 and up nowadays

SPEMack618 01-17-2017 04:42 PM

I wouldn't want to run the risk of the doing everything right and either getting hit by some ass hole State Trooper that doesn't like peasants having guns or the Cali legislature passing another ban.

A good lever gun in .30-30 will do you good. Unobtrusive. Hits hard. Easy to find ammo for.

mpe2010 01-18-2017 02:33 AM

A friend of mine brought up a great idea, an unconverted saiga in 7.62x39. It is decently powerful and has a fairly common round. I keep it neutered for the time that i am there and when i return to friendly territory i can convert it and get a pretty decent AK out of it

Spartan198 01-19-2017 06:43 AM

Whatever you pick, just make sure not to use it until any intruder(s) actually enter your house, otherwise they can actually press charges against you for assault/attempted murder/whatever.

It's beyond stupid, I know, but that's liberals for you. You have to actually let someone kill you before they've actually done anything wrong. :rolleyes: